eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old August 29th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Post Visit to the Sunnyvale temple on Ganesh Chaturthi

Sunday 27th Aug 2006 was Ganesh Chaturthi. I visited our local Sunnyvale Temple.

As expected, there was a large number of desis in the temple. Traffic and parking was a nightmare inside the temple parking lot and neighbouring lots. As I waited patiently to steer through the 'sea of humanity' walking towards the temple, back from the temple to the cars and generally milling about, I started noticing many things. It was better than just feeling impatient and yearning for a parking spot immediately.

Many desis were walking carefully, ensuring that their walking does not hinder the many cars that were trying to get into or exit the lot. Then there were many desis who thought they were back in India wandering on streets - walking randomly and just strafing right through every possible space between cars. A mathematician wanting to study random movement would have loved this perfect setup. Just as I inched ahead, a group of desis came and just starting walking acros and then some just stood in front my car waiting for someone to join them. I wanted to honk.

As I finally moved ahead and entered the rear parking lot, I waited patiently as some folks were getting to cars and other cars ahead of me were waiting for these cars to move out.

I dont know for a certainty, but after observing desis at the same temple year after year on several ocassions like Diwali, Ganpati, Holi, I am starting to develop a theory that some desis lov to just sit in a car after and enjoy others waiting for them to move out. Now I am from Mumbai and if this happened, say in Dadar or Sion or any crowded part of Mumbai (and which isn't) there would be lots of honking and I can imagine some stuations where an irate car owner getting down and abusing the hell out of the asshole just warming his car seat

So finally one such car got out. The occupants' asses must have felt nice and comfortable after the mandatory seat warming ritual.

Now I go to the temple. I see the usual serpentine line of people waiting to go upto the special Ganpati idol to offer prayers and prasad and bow down. I dont stand in the lines as I am content with going in the general area where I cannot reach the idol but can offer my prayers, bow down for a 'sashtaang namaskaar' (sashtaang dandvat) and then sit down for a few minutes and close my eyes and offer my prayers and say a few aartis ingrained in my being since childhood.

As I move out, I see many desis just trying to rush into the general area where you dont need to to stand in line. Many just rushing ahead and trying to grab one of the priest's attention. Come one people. Dont rush. God will accept your prayers just as much as He does of those in line and those who dont rush.

Pooja done, prayers offered, prassad eaten and now its time to go back. So I get up and move towards the parking lot. As I slowly make my way to the car, I see many small groups meeting and chatting. Yes, its good to meet friends who you dont meet otherwise on a week to week basis. But hey, its a special ocassion today and many many more desis are waiting to get into the temple and offfer prayers. The temple cannot be reached by walking or by public transportation, so cars are inevitable. So cant the 'parking lot socialites' migle elsewhere and quickly get out of the lot in their cars. Others in line will appreciate it a lot. Even bhagwaan Ganeshji would appreciate it

But no, many have to whip out cell phones and start converrsations. Many have to walk like they are in a garden back home, many have to warm their seats.

I got into my car, and then wanted to move out immediately, but could not. A car was blocking my way as it waited for another seat warmer to move out

So yesterday I paid attention to what happens when you just sit in the car. Either my ass is very fat or my seats are suddenly much more cushy - it felt good! Just sitting there, forced to do nothing, waiting for my desi brethren to move out.

Initially I felt like whining and moaning. Dont know why? Maybe I have become a mean and selfish baastaard. I know I am not perfect. But you know, as I waited in my car, air conditioning cooling me, my suddenly lush car seat enveloping my fat ass in comfort, it all came to me - These are my people. These are the sometimes-stupid-sometimes-great-sometimes-idiots-sometimes-kind-sometime-morons BUT never fanatic brethren who come to the temple without fail, keep the faith, keep the torch of Hinduism burning bright even in a foreign land.

Guess when I am going back to the temple and looking forward to the traffic jams? Diwali!!

Ganpati Bappa Morya!!
Vidyadhar Vighnaharta Mahakaya Namaostutey!!
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of
Re: Visit to the Sunnyvale temple on Ganesh Chaturthi

It was fun reading the way you described your visit to the temple.

GANPATI BAPPA MORYA.
Old August 29th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visit to the Sunnyvale temple on Ganesh Chaturthi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorJR
It was fun reading the way you described your visit to the temple.

GANPATI BAPPA MORYA.
Yaar there are so many things I observe and wish to write about, but I hardly get the time....Some day..