eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Sports

Notices

Sports Your arena, your grounds, your pitch...

Old February 14th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Indian eCharchan

Indian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Sania storms to top 100

Hyderabad, Feb. 14: Riding on the super show at the Hyderabad Open, Sania Mirza cracked the top 100 of women’s tennis, another first for an Indian woman. The WTA Tour ranking released on Monday places Sania stands at 99, a 35-place jump from last week. Sania earned 114 points (95 +18 bonus for beating higher ranked players) to take her tally to 371.

“I’m on 99! It’s great to be in the top 100, that’s what I have been looking for,” an excited Sania told Deccan Chronicle. Sania had been aiming to break into the top 100 by the end of the year. Now, she has decided to raise the bar. “I want to be in the top 50 by the end of this year,” she said. Where does she want to be rank-wise by the time she’s finished playing the Dubai Open? “No, I haven’t set any short-term goal. As of now, I want to recover from my injuries and just go out there and play,” she said

not ashamed to be IDLE !
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

really commendable..
i juz hope that she earns enough money by tha end of this year so as to hire some good American coach..
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:38 AM
the voice of reason

vakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the rough
excellent. now aim for the top 50
Old February 15th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Instant Mischief

Budmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

I like both
Old February 15th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Senior eCharchan

Freedom_Peace will become famous soon enough
Awesome news...

Expect ton of ad. deals $$$
Good for her
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sania1.jpg (69.0 KB, 168 views)
Old February 15th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
I wish that many more Indian girls take up Tennis. Bend It Like Beckham caused a lot of US girls to take up soccer. We have had soccer or football as we call it since a long time. Maybe our girls need to take that up to. Its too bad that we are all focussed on cricket. I am sure there are many Sanias out there waiting to shine and bring us glory.

Congratulations to Sania May you get all the success you and all of dream of!!
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:17 PM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Congratulations Sania!

A great echievement indeed for an Indian woman...

Good going Sania.... Aim higher....
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute
success comes with price.
http://us.rediff.com/sports/2005/feb/16security.htm

Sania provided with security

The Hyderabad City Police will provide two gunmen to Indian tennis star Sania Mirza in view of perceived threat from stalkers.

Naseema Mirza, Sania's mother, went to Sports Authority of Andhra Pradesh managing director Sumita Dawra on Wednesday and informed that her 18-year-old daughter, who acquired celebrity status after her sensational singles triumph in the WTA Hyderabad Open last week, is facing a problem from autograph-hunters and stalkers and needs to be provided with security.

Immediately, Dawra took Naseema to the city Police Commissioner's office. They met Commissioner V Dinesh Reddy and explained the problem. The commissioner promptly agreed to post two gunmen at Mirzas' Banjara Hills residence. The gunmen will accompany Sania whenever she goes out.

"We will review the situation, depending on the threat perception and take whatever further action is required," the Commissioner is reported to have told Naseema.

It is learnt that in the last four-five days, a lot of people kept calling Sania over the phone and some enthusiastic fans even tried to gatecrash into her house. She was even accosted by people wherever she went.

Incidentally, Sania, who interacted with the media, including television channels for two hours on Tuesday, did not say anything about the security threat.
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of
Sania meets Kuznetsova in 2nd round

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4306293.stm
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1036274.cms

Sania seems to be on a roll......she is playing good.
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:36 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute
http://us.rediff.com/sports/2005/mar/01sania.htm

Sania beats US Open Champ Kuznetsova

Sania Mirza caused the biggest upset at the Dubai Open when she beat reigning US Open Champion and world number seven Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia 6-4, 6-2 in the second round on Tuesday.

The teenager has been in brilliant form this year, having earlier reached the third round at the Australian Open and won the Hyderabad Open.

In the first round of the USD 585,000 tournament, Sania had upset world number 34 Jelena Kostanic of Croatia 6-7, 6-4, 6-1 in just over two hours.
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:42 AM
eCharchan

Robert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

This is really a big achievement, better than being in top 100.
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:44 AM
Senior eCharchan

At this rate it won't be too long when she breaks into top 10.
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:11 AM
nayasavera

Excellent achievement.

I checked the draws bud cudn't find her name. I was already cursing the award ceremonies that she had to attend as I thought she didn't recover in time for the tournament.

Ek Williams ko haraa de yaar.
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:47 PM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute
AMAZING ! She proved that she is not just the hype , there is talent and eager to win.

Its remain to be seen how she overcome all media hype and attention and continue to play brilliantly (I would advice her to follow Tendulkar model)
Old March 2nd, 2005, 12:12 AM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Good article

Mirza makes fancy footwork in Dubai

By Barry Wood

Dubai - United States Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova was stunned 6-4 6-2 by 18-year-old Indian Sania Mirza in the Dubai Open second round on Tuesday.

Mirza is attaining film star status in her homeland after becoming the first Indian woman to reach the third round of a Grand Slam in Melbourne last month. She was also the first Indian to win a WTA Tour event, in Hyderabad.

Mirza further underlined her potential against Kuznetsova, recovering from a shaky start to produce a supremely confident performance.

The match initially looked like being a major embarrassment for Mirza, who attracted nearly 5 000 spectators consisting mainly of expat workers to the centre court.

She lost the first game to love in 42 seconds as the fourth-seeded Russian fired two aces, and fell behind 4-0 after suffering an ankle injury.

She received several minutes of treatment but double-faulted twice at 3-0 as she experienced problems serving.

"My ankle was killing me," said Mirza. "It was the third time it has happened in the last three weeks. I was actually crying because I was in so much pain.

"But I took a pain killer and I think it took a couple of games for me to get used to the taping, and the pain killers started working 15 or 20 minutes after that."

The match turned dramatically, however, when Mirza banished her nerves and began to hit the ball sweetly from all angles.

After winning six straight games to take the first set Mirza continued to grow in confidence and forcing a forehand error from Kuznetsova to break in the first game of the second set.

Although the Russian immediately broke back to level at 1-1, she failed two win three game points in the next game before Mirza broke again.

Urged on by the boisterous crowd, Mirza continued to pound the ball at every opportunity and her efforts were rewarded with the best win of her career.

Kuznetsova said she had been caught cold in her first match of the tournament.

"I had pressure and couldn't get into the games," Said Kuznetsova. "She was playing great, but I didn't do what I had to do.

"I didn't attack at all. I had to make her play more points and I had to make her move. I still have so much to learn.

"It's a big upset but I'll try to keep my head up and still work hard."

---------------------------------
Link

All the best, Sania

Sent from my iPhone.