eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old May 9th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Oh dont worry, Im a techie so I can manage swimming! Oops I'm dead

Oh how vain some people are! When you are asked to follow rules, you dont. When you are not sure if you can swim in your own bath tub, you want to take on the deep end of a swimming pool!

I feel more anger than pity at this idiot who lost his life by being just that - idiot!

Quote:
Techie from Mumbai drowns in Khandala 5-star hotel pool

By: Kaumudi Gurjar Date: 2011-05-09 Place: Pune

In Khandala for weekend conference, victim and four friends went for a swim late in the evening despite being denied permission by hotel, say police

A weekend conference at a five-star hotel in Khandala turned into a nightmare for a large group of techies from a Mumbai firm when they lost a colleague in a freak swimming pool accident. The deceased was identified as Jaiprakash Shankaran Nair (31), a resident of the Mumbai suburb of Kandivli. About 70 IT professionals from Vikhroli-based Net Magic had arrived at Hotel Dukes Retreat on Friday for the conference.

On Saturday evening, five of them decided to go for a swim in the hotel pool. Nair was among them. The police and the hotel staff said lifeguards had asked the group of five to not swim in the pool because it was late, past 7.30 pm. "The IT employees had come for a conference. Around 7.45 pm, they wanted to swim, but we don't allow swimming in the evening. Even after denying them permission, five of them went for a swim. There was a lifeguard present at the time," said a hotel employee.

"A little after 7.45 pm, Nair was not to be seen in the water, so his friends and our lifeguard jumped in. They got him out and he was breathing. We rushed him to the hospital, but he died. "The newly married IT manager's friends said he had told his colleagues he was a good swimmer. Eyewitnesses said Nair was fished out of the deep end of the pool, struggling for breath. "Nair was taken to a private hospital for initial treatment and died while being moved to Sanjivan Hosiptal," said PSI Baban Hedgye, who is investigating the case.

The Lonavla police sent the body for post-mortem. "Nair's friends have admitted that they were denied permission to swim but did not listen to the hotel authorities," said A Acharya, an officer from the Lonavla police station. "The post-mortem revealed that Nair died due to drowning. There is nothing fishy in the case. His body was sent home with his family on Sunday afternoon." Nair's body, which was handed over to his father Shankaran, reached his Kandivali residence by Sunday evening. Nair is survived by his parents, wife and a sister.

LINK
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Senior eCharchan

Premi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oh dont worry, Im a techie so I can manage swimming! Oops I'm dead

RIP..

Nair...
Old May 10th, 2011, 02:04 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

It is very easy to lose your cool and panic , esp. when you are a new swimmer.
You can even panic when in shallow end . Very important to follow rules .

I told this one friend to not go to deep ened since he does not have the stamina to complete the length . Still wanted to go and ended up panicking 3/4 of the distance, towards the deeper end. Lost his breath or something , Anyway he was fine but he stopped swimming after that .
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond repute

RIP

some underestimate their capabilities

some overestimate their capabilities

Old May 10th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Life is BEAUtiful

sunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond repute

RIP

When I was learning to swim with couple of my friends, one of us who claimed he was an expert swimmer dived in and then started drowning.
Since none of us could swim then we ran out to get the guard, who dived in the water to fetch my friend out. It was a topic of fun for rest of the year, but it could have easily gone wrong.
People boast a lot and things can get out of hand soon.

Old May 10th, 2011, 08:08 PM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute

May his soul rest in peace. Its the panic ... unless an expert swimmer ... be careful when rushing to save a drowning person ... he/she may drag you down as well. It happened once ... thank God I played good samaritan in a swimming pool. You would have been deprived of Badri's company if it was in the sea.
Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

I can claim that I swim well, but in a swimming pool. During summers, when I step into the pool for the first couple of days, I ensure that I am swimming in regular side of the pool and not the deep end. Before getting into the pool, I will always do a few stretching exercises lest I get some sudden cramps due to the water temperature, sudden new exercise for the muscles which have not been in a pool for rest of the year.

This was taught to me many years ago when I learnt swimming in high school. First couple of days, always swim in safer depths like 5 feet and then dare into the deep end. Also, no eating anything atleast 30 mins before swimming.

If at all you get cramps or sudden fear takes over, do not panic. I know this is hard to do, but you have to immediately focus on flapping your hands downwards like a ballet dancer and try the frog like motion of your legs as if you are trying to jump. This will thrust your body upwards and you can shout for help or attract attention.

I feel angry and sad for the techie and his family respectively because this moron thought he could wing it and entered the deep end without even trying to swim for a few minutes on the shallow end.
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:19 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Probably he was following the rule in our IT cos. You are thrown into the pool and either swim or sink.
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Unhappy Re: Oh dont worry, Im a techie so I can manage swimming! Oops I'm dead

There was this boy, older to me by 4 or 5 years. I was in the 10th grade. He used to live in our apartment building.

He was a rough and tough guy who was part of NCC. One day, he and his friends had gone somewhere near Pune. On their way back, they decided to take a dip in a canal. Now the canal water looks very gentle and flows so smoothly. He did not know to swim much, beyond the pool. He got into the water and was swept away within moments. What he and his friends did not realise was that there are faster moving currents below the surface in a canal which otherwise looks serene.

The friends tried to save him but he was swept away too quickly. His friends too were not expert swimmers. He died.

What a waste of youth? I saw how his parents suffered. Now the father is no more.

Swimming in a pool is very different than in a canal, a lake and the open sea. Every year, we hear of some morons who drown on Holi day because they think they can swim in the sea or just because they are not too far from the beach, they can easily wade back.

There was this colleague from my previous job. He took a transfer to Texas offices. There, on some long weekend, he went with some other American colleagues. They had all put those floating beds in the water in the lake nearby. This moron, who did not know swimming, decided to try that out. So he was there, all happy that he was doing something 'bold'. Somehow the bed overturned and he fell into the water. Now he did not even know how to swim. He sank real fast. The others in the group immediately pulled him out but he was so scared that he went into a coma. He had swallowed a lot of water. He was in hospital for many days. By God's grace and his wife's prayers, he survived. Moron number one!
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:48 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

I have a similar although unfortunate incident to relate about my classmate from engineering.

This guy came to US for masters and joined some university in Texas. Before registration in the school, the Indian Student asso. arranged a picnic at a place with water sports.. jet skiing and white water rafting and what not. My friend did not wear a life jacket and drowned in the fast stream of water.. his cousin sister fainted when she heard the news.. I missed his call and didnt call him up that day.. next day got the news about the tragedy.

He was the only kid of his parents.. so sad he acted foolishly and did not obey the rules. I still shudder to think of his parents' condition.

I recall he always did edgy things.. he once jumped from the first floor balcony of the hostel for a Rs. 500 bet.. fractured his ankle and spent the whole semester limping to and fro from hostel to college.
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
I have a similar although unfortunate incident to relate about my classmate from engineering.

This guy came to US for masters and joined some university in Texas. Before registration in the school, the Indian Student asso. arranged a picnic at a place with water sports.. jet skiing and white water rafting and what not. My friend did not wear a life jacket and drowned in the fast stream of water.. his cousin sister fainted when she heard the news.. I missed his call and didnt call him up that day.. next day got the news about the tragedy.

He was the only kid of his parents.. so sad he acted foolishly and did not obey the rules. I still shudder to think of his parents' condition.

I recall he always did edgy things.. he once jumped from the first floor balcony of the hostel for a Rs. 500 bet.. fractured his ankle and spent the whole semester limping to and fro from hostel to college.
I know of a young couple in the Bay Area. The husband was this typical - Oh I'm in the US now. I must do whatever the Americans do on weekends. Watching TV is so passe, going for Indian grocery is for serfs, etc. etc.

So the couple hooks up with only goras and one fine weekend goes to a bungee jumping place. So young 'just turned American' husband takes the plunge. Ooops... ends up with a spinal cord disc problem. Wife all panicked. Totally screwed up situation. Finally all 'desi' brown asshole people come to the rescue after the initial rescue by goras. We end up going to the hospital in shifts for 2 weeks while Mr. Husband recuperates.

What is the result now? Walks as if he is bending forward and will bend further to pick up something. Intermittent discomfort in the back. Cannot sit in the same position for more than half hour. Has to shift himself from left bum to right bum.

To do bungee jumping, not only do you need a strong heart to tolerate the sudden rush of adrenaline but a physical condition where your body can accept sudden jerks and stretches. I go to the gym, but will I do anything 'brave' like this - NO! I know my limitations. I find a 'boring' weekend watching TV and doing very desi things like grocery and other innane 'desi' non thrilling shit far more safe and to my liking. Used to play cricket on weekends some years ago. That was enough 'bravery'. Will I take up ice hockey? Naaah, I valye my ass cheeks far too much to let them fall flat on the ice while learning to skate first. I am a boring dull desi, who by the way has many gora friends too, but prefers only their company over 'boring' things like dinner or a social outing but NOT for 'brave' acts like bungee jumping, etc.
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

If one can check his background, most likely he was a former employee of "we are better than the rest of the world and Americans are chewtiyas" Infosys. These fuckwads have their thumbs up their asses - which they occasionally pull out to smell - and are so brimming with confidence that you think 'Hey my company has given you the contract but you act as if we should thank you! Fuck off asshole .. the meter is running ... Get on with it.. chop chop'
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:08 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
I know of a young couple in the Bay Area. The husband was this typical - Oh I'm in the US now. I must do whatever the Americans do on weekends. Watching TV is so passe, going for Indian grocery is for serfs, etc. etc.

So the couple hooks up with only goras and one fine weekend goes to a bungee jumping place. So young 'just turned American' husband takes the plunge. Ooops... ends up with a spinal cord disc problem. Wife all panicked. Totally screwed up situation. Finally all 'desi' brown asshole people come to the rescue after the initial rescue by goras. We end up going to the hospital in shifts for 2 weeks while Mr. Husband recuperates.

What is the result now? Walks as if he is bending forward and will bend further to pick up something. Intermittent discomfort in the back. Cannot sit in the same position for more than half hour. Has to shift himself from left bum to right bum.

To do bungee jumping, not only do you need a strong heart to tolerate the sudden rush of adrenaline but a physical condition where your body can accept sudden jerks and stretches. I go to the gym, but will I do anything 'brave' like this - NO! I know my limitations. I find a 'boring' weekend watching TV and doing very desi things like grocery and other innane 'desi' non thrilling shit far more safe and to my liking. Used to play cricket on weekends some years ago. That was enough 'bravery'. Will I take up ice hockey? Naaah, I valye my ass cheeks far too much to let them fall flat on the ice while learning to skate first. I am a boring dull desi, who by the way has many gora friends too, but prefers only their company over 'boring' things like dinner or a social outing but NOT for 'brave' acts like bungee jumping, etc.
cha pai what you have told here is a typical case of superiority complex/ attitude some "wannabe" and "cool" desis have, whether in US or westernized Indians in India.

I have a friend here who knew nothing about metal and rock music but to be in the group of his cool desi and gora friends.. started attending concerts all over US.. I find it funny that his head aches when he listens to even one complete metal song. lol
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

only 5 people in the pool, what the fuck was the life guard doing?
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
only 5 people in the pool, what the fuck was the life guard doing?
Life guard was on duty. When you go under water, panic takes over and even when you have not gulped too much water, your mind is so scared that you lose control over other functions like flapping your arms and legs to try to come up. Basically the feeling that you are drowning is so powerful that you totally get scared and in the process ingest a lot of water. In that process you also lose focus on breathing only air and water gets into your lungs too. Its a scary situation.

When I was learning to swim, I just slipped once, within 5 feet of water and went down. I should have known that I can simply stand and my head and chest will be above water, but I was shit scared. My instructor pulled me out. I had not drowned but my mind felt as if I had. It was all very scary. It happens within seconds unlike in movies where heroine is drowning and yelling for help and hero is fighting the villain and then manages to save the heroine.

So this guy should never have tried to swim on the deep end without a few practice laps on the shallow end.