eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old March 12th, 2019, 05:31 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How some of our parents generation was real stupid when it came to schools

On the bright side, if your project/work is not completed on time you can give the excuses to your boss in Sanskrit and confuse the shit out of them (and yourself). If they protest, throw a word or two about discrimination their way (or a coconut)

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Last edited by dollyg; March 12th, 2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old March 12th, 2019, 09:00 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyg View Post
On the bright side, if your project/work is not completed on time you can give the excuses to your boss in Sanskrit and confuse the shit out of them (and yourself). If they protest, throw a word or two about discrimination their way (or a coconut)
That's funny
Old March 12th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Always on target

jeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaj View Post
makes you a well-rounded person, not everything may be useful. Not knowing about solar system may not help in job, but makes one appear foolish in front of others.
Reminds me of Sherlock Holmes

A Study in Scarlet:

His ignorance was as remarkable as his knowledge. Of contemporary literature, philosophy and politics he appeared to know next to nothing. Upon my quoting Thomas Carlyle, he inquired in the naivest way who he might be and what he had done. My surprise reached a climax, however, when I found incidentally that he was ignorant of the Copernican Theory and of the composition of the Solar System. That any civilized human being in this nineteenth century should not be aware that the earth travelled round the sun appeared to be to me such an extraordinary fact that I could hardly realize it.

“You appear to be astonished,” he said, smiling at my expression of surprise. “Now that I do know it I shall do my best to forget it.”

“To forget it!”

“You see,” he explained, “I consider that a man’s brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things so that he has a difficulty in laying his hands upon it. Now the skilful workman is very careful indeed as to what he takes into his brain-attic. He will have nothing but the tools which may help him in doing his work, but of these he has a large assortment, and all in the most perfect order. It is a mistake to think that that little room has elastic walls and can distend to any extent. Depend upon it there comes a time when for every addition of knowledge you forget something that you knew before. It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones.”

“But the Solar System!” I protested.

“What the deuce is it to me?” he interrupted impatiently; “you say that we go round the sun. If we went round the moon it would not make a pennyworth of difference to me or to my work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyg View Post
Maybe Sanskrit should be introduced in Indian schools as a required but not necessarily gradable subject from an early age. (Like general knowledge or community living used to be )It would be beneficial if our new generation are not only taught Sanskrit but also introduced to Vedic texts by teachers that understand the texts themselves. If not then what’s the friggin point of learning it as a language anyway, it’s not like the children are going to be suddenly communicating in Sanskrit.

Mugging and puking for the sake of grades is a shitty way to address any subject and Sanskrit is no exception.

Indian education system addresses studies and grading from the perspective of mass producing skilled workers for export purposes. IMHO
I don't think we should waste time on a dead langauge which serves no purpose anyway. Other than being emotional about our great past it has nothing to offer us. We seriously lack in quality research and most of modern science is done without Sanskrit. We need more scientist and technologist now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
I couldn't wrap my head around the syntax of that statement (Not Knowing about solar system may not help in job) So it was about that rather than the content - although I could make out what you were trying to say.
Helps my point that learning of subjects/languages earlier in life does help later in life.

btw, I believe Geography, History as well as Civics help quite a lot in life. If people take Civics seriously, a lot of our problems will reduce.
We lack civic sense. Geography helped me a lot, history never and Civics is must know especially constitutional knowledge

jeetIAF
Old March 13th, 2019, 04:57 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetiaf View Post

A Study in Scarlet:

His ignorance was as remarkable as his knowledge. Of contemporary literature, philosophy and politics he appeared to know next to nothing. Upon my quoting Thomas Carlyle, he inquired in the naivest way who he might be and what he had done. My surprise reached a climax, however, when I found incidentally that he was ignorant of the Copernican Theory and of the composition of the Solar System. That any civilized human being in this nineteenth century should not be aware that the earth travelled round the sun appeared to be to me such an extraordinary fact that I could hardly realize it.

“You appear to be astonished,” he said, smiling at my expression of surprise. “Now that I do know it I shall do my best to forget it.”

“To forget it!”

“You see,” he explained, “I consider that a man’s brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things so that he has a difficulty in laying his hands upon it. Now the skilful workman is very careful indeed as to what he takes into his brain-attic. He will have nothing but the tools which may help him in doing his work, but of these he has a large assortment, and all in the most perfect order. It is a mistake to think that that little room has elastic walls and can distend to any extent. Depend upon it there comes a time when for every addition of knowledge you forget something that you knew before. It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones.”

“But the Solar System!” I protested.

“What the deuce is it to me?” he interrupted impatiently; “you say that we go round the sun. If we went round the moon it would not make a pennyworth of difference to me or to my work.
check this out -
https://www.ihearofsherlock.com/2017...l#.XIjs4yj7TdM

Fictional Sherlock might have said he was not interested in Solar System but he was definitely aware of the nuances of Earths axis of rotation.

But it was in "The Greek Interpreter," where we see that Holmes did in fact know a bit more than he initially let on:
It was after tea on a summer evening, and the conversation, which had roamed in a desultory, spasmodic fashion from golf clubs to the causes of the change in the obliquity of the ecliptic, came round at last to the question of atavism and hereditary aptitudes.

The obliquity of the ecliptic has nothing to do with eclipses per se, but is essentially "the angle of inclination of the Earth's equator with respect to the plane of its orbit, which to us, produces the apparent relative tilt of the Earth's polar axis which causes the annual seasons." So Holmes was aware of the Earth and its general properties.

Quote:
I don't think we should waste time on a dead langauge which serves no purpose anyway. Other than being emotional about our great past it has nothing to offer us. We seriously lack in quality research and most of modern science is done without Sanskrit. We need more scientist and technologist now
thats the thing though, do we know if it is definitely not going to serve any purpose ever - should we let it die as we have let so many other things? What if we found the original Veda script and we didn't have have anyone to interpret them? What if ancient humans did travel from Earth to somewhere else and decide to come back, they would not understand English?

Quote:

We lack civic sense. Geography helped me a lot, history never and Civics is must know especially constitutional knowledge

jeetIAF
you do quote quite a lot of history, makes me feel you were/are interested. I do think history helps us understand the root of many problems and should also help us find way forward. My problem is history we are taught is not necessarily accurate.
Old March 13th, 2019, 07:45 PM
Always on target

jeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
check this out -
https://www.ihearofsherlock.com/2017...l#.XIjs4yj7TdM

Fictional Sherlock might have said he was not interested in Solar System but he was definitely aware of the nuances of Earths axis of rotation.

But it was in "The Greek Interpreter," where we see that Holmes did in fact know a bit more than he initially let on:
It was after tea on a summer evening, and the conversation, which had roamed in a desultory, spasmodic fashion from golf clubs to the causes of the change in the obliquity of the ecliptic, came round at last to the question of atavism and hereditary aptitudes.

The obliquity of the ecliptic has nothing to do with eclipses per se, but is essentially "the angle of inclination of the Earth's equator with respect to the plane of its orbit, which to us, produces the apparent relative tilt of the Earth's polar axis which causes the annual seasons." So Holmes was aware of the Earth and its general properties.
Good one

Quote:
thats the thing though, do we know if it is definitely not going to serve any purpose ever - should we let it die as we have let so many other things? What if we found the original Veda script and we didn't have have anyone to interpret them? What if ancient humans did travel from Earth to somewhere else and decide to come back, they would not understand English?
I don't think people who were made to study it in schools ever took up BA in it either. There are experts in even injun and dead American languages like Indiana Jones. I think creative years of education should be devoid of dead langaguage

Ancient Indian science was brilliant in naked eye observation. Beyond that it is way off the direction science took. Our ancestors never left earth even once. Allegorical mythological stories are not history.

Quote:
you do quote quite a lot of history, makes me feel you were/are interested. I do think history helps us understand the root of many problems and should also help us find way forward. My problem is history we are taught is not necessarily accurate.
Yes I am, I even don't read fiction,and most of the non-fiction is either research work or history

Like presently I have got, A feast of vulture

jeetIAF
Old March 14th, 2019, 05:16 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don't think people who were made to study it in schools ever took up BA in it either. There are experts in even injun and dead American languages like Indiana Jones. I think creative years of education should be devoid of dead langaguage

ok, your opinion, I dont see us convincing each other, so we will have to agree to disagree

Quote:

Ancient Indian science was brilliant in naked eye observation. Beyond that it is way off the direction science took. Our ancestors never left earth even once. Allegorical mythological stories are not history.

jeetIAF
we cannot say either way... Ancient Indian science was brilliant in naked eye observation is a part of the allegorical mytholgical stories that you refer to, yet the sun dial clocks scattered around India, including at jantar mantar, various complex architectural constructions like the wheel at konark temple show that ancient Indians were also experts in mathematics and the science of astronomy. Texts like Shushruta Samhita prove that it was not just maths and science that ancient Indians were experts in. I would go so far as to say, were those skills given scope to expand, we would have been ahead of modern sciences.

Alas, someone somewhere seems to have taken a decision that these were dead knowledge bases and stopped studies in the area possibly invaders from those days.....
Old March 14th, 2019, 05:49 AM
Senior eCharchan

punkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

A Study in Scarlet:

Sophism at it's best