eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old February 8th, 2016, 12:49 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Movie reviews of some off beat films that I saw recently

Now that we have come to the end of this thread , it is time to ponder which of these movies I liked the most . And the answer is not far to seek---the off beat film which is closest to my heart is 'Coffee Bloom' .

Not only the film is set amidst the bounty of nature , it is off beat in another sense too---as it photographs a part of India that has been rarely seen in films , known today as Kodagu and formerly known as Coorg . And I quite liked the natural surroundings in which the movie was filmed , the lush greenery and the quiet and lonely settings . In such a setting the minds goes at a relaxed pace and movie moves at a relaxed pace too . And it has a poetic ending too , virtual nirvana for the off beat movie lover....

Here is the full film on youtube---

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE
Old February 8th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
Now that we have come to the end of this thread , it is time to ponder which of these movies I liked the most . And the answer is not far to seek---the off beat film which is closest to my heart is 'Coffee Bloom' .

Not only the film is set amidst the bounty of nature , it is off beat in another sense too---as it photographs a part of India that has been rarely seen in films , known today as Kodagu and formerly known as Coorg . And I quite liked the natural surroundings in which the movie was filmed , the lush greenery and the quiet and lonely settings . In such a setting the minds goes at a relaxed pace and movie moves at a relaxed pace too . And it has a poetic ending too , virtual nirvana for the off beat movie lover....

Here is the full film on youtube---
Is this based on a book? Reminds me of a book I read a few years back...

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old February 8th, 2016, 08:10 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
Is this based on a book? Reminds me of a book I read a few years back...
dont know....
Old February 8th, 2016, 09:05 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

How about Emotional Atayachar?
Old February 9th, 2016, 01:19 PM
senior echarchan

Out of Africa ( 1985 )

This off beat film is based on the real life memoirs of a Danish woman called Karen Blixen ( played by Meryl Streep ) who lived in Kenya during the colonial times of British rule over the colony and spent an idyllic existence there .

And why not an idyllic existence ?? The Europeans lived a life of luxury there that only conquerors can live , owned thousands of acres of land , and the time of Africans calling for independence was not yet near .

Karen came there after proposing to her husband that he should marry her and help her start a dairy farm , but after coming there he invests her money to start a coffee plantation instead . And even in this venture he takes little interest , preferring to go for hunting the animals that abound in this part of Africa . And he is a philanderer , his philandering resulting in him transmitting Syphilis to his wife due to which she cannot ever have children even after a long and difficult recovery from the disease .

Is it the lowly position of women during those days that even a rich and powerful woman like Karen has to put up with all this and cannot do anything ?? Or is it her understanding nature that she forgives her husband for everything and tries to fall in love with him ?? Or is she just a hopeless romantic searching for love as opposed to loneliness ??

But things take a turn due to the appearance of a dashing handsome hunter---played by who else but Robert Redford....and Karen falls head over heels in love with him....they go for long hunts in the african grasslands where they participate in beautifully photographed hunting of lions and lionesses , they dance the night away beside romantic campfires at midnight , go flying in biplanes over the african savannah , and make wanton love on satin sheets .

But are all men the same ?/ While women dream of love and loyalty and everlasting romance , men think of only their next conquest....Denys Finch Hatton ( played by Redford ) too wants his freedom and his vagabond life and his big game hunting safaris deep in the African wilderness rather than marriage and domesticity and settling down . Ultimately Karen has to let go even of him . And is it because of their similar natures that Hatton and Karen's ex husband are not jealous of each other inspite of having the same woman at different times in their lives ??

The tides of history touch upon this remote corner of the world too , and the first world war is shown intruding the the peace in the first half of the movie . And not even Karen's desperate following of him where he has gone to fight the Germans convinces her husband of her love . When her coffee plantation ( over which she has spent so much hard work after both men in her life reject her ) is on the brink of a fabulous profit , fire breaks out destroying everything . And her pleas for help fall on deaf ears , even though she goes to the extent of falling on her knees begging for help in front of visiting royalty .

It seems success is not destined to favour Karen . It is time to say goodbye to Africa...
But has Karen's life in Africa been a failure ?? In fact as she prepares to leave , her worth is realised by the men and the people who she is going to say goodbye to . Her lover has to confess that she has destroyed his ability to be alone without her . Her husband too is sad . The same gentleman's club where she was driven out because they didn't entertain ladies ( Indian actor Kabir Bedi plays head waiter there ) now invites her so that all men there can raise a toast to her . But above all, the african people are sad to lose her---for she has formed lasting relationships with them , and been a just master of her estates . Her servants and other africans whose life she has touched do not want her leave ; some even want to go with her....But it is too late....As the train to Mombasa arrives , from where a ship will take her back to Europe , Karen has left her imprint on the land....today there is a museum in her name where she once lived....

The movie moves at an idyllic pace amidst the greenery of Africa , never rushing it's flow . And inspite of the ups and downs of Karen's life , seeing the movie I found peace and tranquillity of mind . That peace and tranquillity was increased by the stunning musical score by John Barry . Hearing the tunes of Barry's music while seeing Karen and her lover holding hands in a plane flying over the vastness and the natural beauty of Africa---I had at last found nirvana....

Acting is good by everyone and photography is good too---watch the scene where a lion and a lioness try to attack the leading lady and actor only to find themselves in the leap of death , for they are shot dead by them...

Verdict---Most satisfying .

Three and a half stars .

Last edited by ashdoc; February 9th, 2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old February 9th, 2016, 02:48 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

There's a wildlife park in Arizona by that name.. Out of Africa. May be inspired by this movie's name.

When I visited, I had an argument with the bus tour guide. He kept saying African animals but almost all animals had Indian names. Lionesses were names like Shanti, Pooja, Sheela.. Tigers were Raja, etc. I kept saying why don't yo change park name to "Out of India".
Old February 10th, 2016, 07:48 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Off beat movies i saw ages back (mostly on DD, some on screen) and remember well
Junoon(1980) - On screen and then on DD - Nice one by Shyam Benegal. Shows Brits authentically. One of the first movies as a kid when i asked 'where is the 'dishum dishum'.? Saw it again on DD many years later and then grown up me remarks 'Nafisa Ali is good looking'.

'Shatranj ke Khiladi' - DD - many times -Put me to sleep first time, but later on, all the subtle decor, Lucknow's leisurely Nawabs and the Brits finely woven by Satyajit Ray

Janaranya - DD - I caught on this Bengali movie playing with the theme of a young guy set to do business and to be successful make a lot of compromises on middle class values. Found it very engrossing. But i didnt even know the name of this movie. Later on, some bong friends told me it is 'Janaranya' by Satyajit ray and i checked on the plot in Wiki to be the same.. Now, that is the true test. i liked a ray movie without knowing it was from Ray.

The 80s S movies from K Viswanath - They were off beat with classical music /dance themes but also commercial successes - 3 prominent ones -Shankarabharanam, Sagarasangamam and Shrutilayalu. There was also one movie where for a change Chiranjivi acted instead of dancing and bashing 'Swayamkrushi'
Old February 16th, 2016, 05:20 PM
senior echarchan

Main aur Charles

'I and Charles'---so many people had this to say about Charles Shobraj . For he had the knack of winning the confidence of anyone he came in contact with , making the person feel that he or especially she was special to Charles . And all of them were to later regret this confidence , if they survived at all....for Charles main occupation was to first become friendly and win confidence of people , and later spike their drinks with drugs and then kill them after looting them . This he did to so many hippies in Thailand , especially western bikini clad women , earning the title of bikini murderer .

And inspite of this record , or maybe because of it , the movie shows Charles literally surrounded by women in various stages of undress . Wherever he goes , he charms his way into womens' hearts , only to break their hearts , if not break their life . The men fare little better , and if they survive at all ( the men have a better chance of survival ) then they have stories of being tricked to tell.

Yet the movie does not show a single murder actually happening , for it's main purpose is not to horrify you but to glamorise Charles' life and times ; cinema sells on a cocktail of sex and glamour after all....

It is Randeep Hooda who plays Charles , and he has delved into the skin of the character so much that he looks and acts like the real Charles . You feel the charm oozing out of him , and people seem to be ready to sacrifice themselves to fuel the cause of Charles . Take the case of the character played by Richa Chaddha , a good looking female who falls in love with Charles and helps him carry out his plans of escaping from jail and is willing to be caught by the police . Or the case of a British man who Charles befriends in jail , and who becomes his accomplice in prison .

The police are utterly frustrated trying to knock out Charles from the head of Richa , who is head over heels in love . And his repeated escapes from jail keep them playing catch up . But even in this we have a surprise in store in the end ; a surprise that leaves you in awe of the genius of Charles Shobraj.....

This is a slickly made movie ; a movie that gives the publicity to this criminal that criminals are always craving for . Watch how police officer Sudhakar Zende of Bombay police becomes a media sensation just because he apprehended Charles ; and watch him excitedly telling the account of his capture to others listening in rapt attention . Watch the slickly planned escape from jail by Charles ; how all jail guards and jailor is fooled by him . Watch the police officer ( played by Adil Khan ) who is in charge of Charles' case getting dumbfounded by Charles every time . And watch beautiful women remove their clothes for him . And watch his hypocrisy in front of media ; he claims in interviews to have given up sex and living the life of a monk !!

Music is nice , and plays to the drum beats of Charles' hedonistic lifestyle---all semiclad women dancing on western tunes . Photography is okay . Acting is decent by everyone .

Verdict---decent .

Three stars .
Old February 19th, 2016, 12:31 PM
senior echarchan

Inkaar

Sexual harassment of women---the raging topic of the day.....

And at the precisely right time when this topic is gaining prominence , comes the movie INKAAR....

Whether it is really sexual harassment of a woman depends on the atmosphere of the place and situation the woman is in.....

If the office the woman works in is a conservative place and the woman is a conservative woman who wears only sarees or salwar kameez , then even the slightest flirtation can be construed as sexual harassment.....

But what if the office the woman works in is a glamorous place full of free mixing of the sexes and opening drinking together and dancing and partying together and late night working together....

And what if the woman herself is a party animal who wears sexy hot exposing clothes , has slept with men before marriage and opening flirts with her colleagues---then what does construe sexual harassment of her ??

Where do you draw the thin red line ??

This is precisely the question put before Deepti Naval , a social worker brought to take a decision in a charge of sexual harassment that has been made by Chitrangada Singh on her boss Arjun Rampal.....

.....For both work in an advertising agency , a place full of free behavior between the sexes .

As Deepti sits to hear both sides of the case , the movie unfolds as a series of flashbacks in which both sides describe their view of what really was happening.....

.....And Arjun's view and Chitrangada's view of what happened in each situation is different from the other's.....

.....And both are intelligent people capable of convincing the arbitrator that only their version of the event is correct and the other's version is wrong....

But the matter is more complicated than that---for they have had an affair in the past which led to deep intimate relations....

And as if to further the complications both are now rivals in the same organisation involved in a game of one upmanship with each other.....

And it is such complications which make a movie more worth watching.....

As the events of the past unfold in front of your eyes in flashbacks , so does the story begin to grip your attention.....

But whose version is true ?? Whom to believe ?? Chitrangada or Arjun ?? The accuser or the accused ?? For both give solid reasons for their accusations on each other....

And what is the role of other persons working in the office in the story ?? And more importantly , what is their version of what really happened ?? For their testimony has an important bearing on the case as some of the events described happened before their eyes....

And who is more popular among the office personnel ?? Chits or Arjun.....
Do other women in the office have had similar experiences with Arjun , or he is well liked and indeed loved among them is he ??

For answers to these questions watch the movie....

The triumph of the director Sudhir Mishra lies in making the person who is guilty not really look like a villain in the end.....Indeed your heart does feel sympathy for that person.....

And good movies are those with good endings.....so I feel....

Verdict---well worth the money spent...
Old February 19th, 2016, 12:45 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

teen saal baad bhi movie chal raha hai theatre me
Old February 19th, 2016, 03:54 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
teen saal baad bhi movie chal raha hai theatre me
no , i wrote the review when i was out of echarcha . so could not post at that time .
Old February 20th, 2016, 09:08 PM
senior echarchan

Barkhaa ( march 2015 )

I saw this movie on youtube because I heard that it is based on ladies bars , which meant that there was a personal connection....after all , I was a patron of ladies bars in Mumbai before they were shut down by the government . To those who don't know , ladies bars are bars in which there is a dance floor in the middle and flashing lights above . Beautiful girls dance on the dance floor in sexy exposing glamorous clothes to the beats of Bollywood music , and patrons sit around the dance floor watching and drinking .

But the story starts in the himalayas where the hero has gone on vacation to the picturesque state of himachal pradesh . Here he sees the heroine ( pakistani actress Sara Loren ) whose fair skinned beauty mesmerises him and he falls in love instantly....and to the end of the movie he remains madly in love . To be honest there is a corny feel to this fact of the hero falling in love with a woman whom he does not know , and the feel then extends to the entire movie .

On returning to Mumbai he is surprised to spot her there again , but she rebuffs his advances . However he is destined to spot her again , this time in more controversial circumstances . He is actually shown to be a person who leads a straightforward life and does not visit the fleshpots of the city , but a chance visit to a ladies bar makes him come face to face with the heroine who dances there....and he begins to go there again and again .

The hero's growing infatuation makes the heroine call him to her room and tell her life story , in which there had been a man in her life and from whom she had a daughter....but the man had abandoned her when she needed him the most....

No problem...the hero still wants to marry her , and he takes her to his parents . The parents reluctantly ( reluctantly because obviously bar girls don't have a good reputation ) have to agree to the match , but fate has other coincidences in store....

To be honest , the coincidences in the movie were by now too much for me and the movie had begun to drag . The rest of the movie is cliched and the end predictable .

The cinematography is good and colours of the movie and the beauty of himachal and the beauty of the heroine are well shown . Sara Loren is not just beautiful but entices us with exposure of her lovely body . The hero Taaha Shah looks decent enough . Acting is okay by everybody . But music is worth listening . I found myself humming the songs of the movie , which are emotional and sentimental .

The scenes of ladies bars were nostalgic for me , as they brought out memories of times when they were the heart of Mumbai's night life . The politics of closing them down is discussed in the movie , with the bar owner who is sympathetic to the bar girls' cause ( for their entire families are dependent on their income from the ladies bar ) cursing the politician who forced them to be closed but also justifying the closure by saying that many bars had become associated with the flesh trade and were ruining young men who visited them wasting all their money on bar girls---and this included the politician's nephew , prompting him to close the bars .

But all this did not make me have a better-than-okayish impression of the movie . The movie is watchable but not great .

Verdict---Okay .

Two stars .
Old February 21st, 2016, 11:07 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
Barkhaa ( march 2015 )
Sara Loren is not just beautiful but entices us with exposure of her lovely body .
Thats enough to make me check this out. Any idea when the 'scenes' come in. And hope it is not like what Sena Lassi and Kallu pais called 'Cleavage show' in KANK, which i had to search all the movie for.
Old February 21st, 2016, 11:13 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Any idea when the 'scenes' come in.
when she dances in ladies bars mostly .

here is the movie on youtube---

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE
Old February 21st, 2016, 12:36 PM
senior echarchan

some navel exposure in this song---

I AGREE