eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old July 14th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Banned

SlyBoots is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Parashuram

Well Dude .......FYI I can speak better hindi than many North Indians ......But during the time I was in the North that did not prevent Northies from humiliating me anyway ......I hate Northies and North Indians ......Looking forward to the day when Tamil Eelam is established making Tamil Nadu a separate country .....
Bhaiyaa Parshu , bharaY bazaar may kyaa kissee northy nay teri izzat loot lee thee kyaa joh , itni nafrat lay kay baithaa huaa hai tu.

No body humilates anyone without a reason unless the one who is humilating is insane .And I can never believe that you were humilated by every north Indian during your stay in the north , unless ofcourse you , have got horns on your head OR / AND a tail at your back which I am sure that you don't have .

Really curious to know , why did they humilated you and in which way .Tell me Pal , I will set them all right and cut them down to size .

Quote:
echarcha said English is usually learnt and spoken in big cities and towns... whereas Hindi is something that can be found even in a village - atleast in Northern parts of India.
Yep and the hindi dialects spoken in , in a village in say western UP is one which a person from eastern UP cant even understand .

Infact the hindi dialect that is spoken in my village is one , if I speak it over here , not many wud be able to understand it ,at all and would feel as if I am showering expletives on them as it sounds very rude in which everyone elder or younger mother or father is called TU and no tum or aap vaala fundaa .The language is very blunt and open and not at all formal .It's spoken exactly the way , a person feels from his heart and not with any artificiality or sweetness as in the other languages .THis dialect is quite close to Haryanvi , though not exactly like it , and Haryanvi sounds even more rough and rude to someone who doesn't know it .

Not for an arguement just for an information echarcha
Old July 14th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Banned

DimaagSeHathela is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by SlyBoots

Bhaiyaa Parshu , bharaY bazaar may kyaa kissee northy nay teri izzat loot lee thee kyaa joh , itni nafrat lay kay baithaa huaa hai tu.

No body humilates anyone without a reason unless the one who is humilating is insane .And I can never believe that you were humilated by every north Indian during your stay in the north , unless ofcourse you , have got horns on your head OR / AND a tail at your back which I am sure that you don't have .

Really curious to know , why did they humilated you and in which way .Tell me Pal , I will set them all right and cut them down to size .

Yep and the hindi dialects spoken in , in a village in say western UP is one which a person from eastern UP cant even understand .

Infact the hindi dialect that is spoken in my village is one , if I speak it over here , not many wud be able to understand it ,at all and would feel as if I am showering expletives on them as it sounds very rude in which everyone elder or younger mother or father is called TU and no tum or aap vaala fundaa .The language is very blunt and open and not at all formal .It's spoken exactly the way , a person feels from his heart and not with any artificiality or sweetness as in the other languages .THis dialect is quite close to Haryanvi , though not exactly like it , and Haryanvi sounds even more rough and rude to someone who doesn't know it .

Not for an arguement just for an information echarcha

paka mat yaar

kuchh kaam vaam kiya kar saari raat din EC ki mat maar'
Old October 13th, 2017, 09:09 PM
Banned

log1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud of
Re: Which language is most important for you to know: Hindi or your reigonal language!

http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2089

Yess,.. demise of our org local state languages as well as Hindi is very painful n' Pityful. Globalization has killed them,... Uh !

The fact is, Hindi is an undeclared National Language for last 100 years, even though southie-sootiyes do not believe it,...

The whole thing is like this,...

Quote:
One big problem was in India, we still keep English in the same way Britishers designed to keep it.

Englishers never wanted English to be widespread around India. Their interest was to teach to few, who can serve Britishers commercially and politically. So it was limited to cities etc, not in rural areas.

In South, there were lot of Princely states who took active interest in promoting English (mostly out of feeling of superiority of English), hence there was active state funding to open schools in English medium which was spread to village level. Even in local medium schools, English was taught in higher manner.

In British provinces as well as Princely states, the Missionaries promoted lot of convent education thus making English popular, mostly in South India and Eastern India.

In North and West in general, missionaries couldn't expand as high as in South due to lack of patronage from Princely states as well as hostility of public in many cases.

As a result, English was very limited to city centers and rural areas never had access to English education, even as a secondary language in local medium schools.

As a result in North and West India, English never had an universal appeal unlike in South. Go to South, everyone has some level of familiarization with English alphabets and some tits and bits of spoken English, if not fluent speaking. In any Tamil or Malayalam medium local schools, English is a mandatory language to learn as a second language. Perhaps they may not able to speak like city people, still they have some basic knowledge.

Whereas in North, many haven't seen English at all. The Pro Hindi attitude of Early Congress govts upto 1960s and later across North, resulted in less focus for English education.

Its one reason, in South side, despite of having 4 major languages that can't be spoken each other along with numerous local languages, still there is not much issues of a Link Language, because English is doing that job.

Even today, I can speak tits and bits of English to get me to a place in a town like Thanjavur, if I don't know Tamil. Thats very hard, in small town say Ajmer etc.

Since 1940s, there was a group of Congressmen who believed the ideology of Hindi Hamara Rastrabhasha which was blocked in CONSTITUTENT ASSEMBLY and never came in Constitution. Despite of agreeing to 1960s Language act provisions, still a very large percentage of North Indians continue to believe Hindi is National language.

Its here, the key problem comes. They want Hindi to link multi linguistic society of India, when similar multi linguistic societies of South never demand any one among them to be link language. Tamil, despite of base for all 4 South Indian languages as well as local languages, never demanded itself to be a link language of south.

Its possible to an extend, Kannadigas, Telugu, Malayalees can follow Tamil because lot of vocabulary for all languages in south originated from Sangam Tamil. Yet its mostly English that works as link language in South.

So why can't same social system be developed in North? No, not at all,... I'd rather wished other way round,...... Why not southies chadarmods not learning the Hindi ?

Last edited by log1iszero; October 14th, 2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old October 14th, 2017, 11:29 AM
Banned

log1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud of
Re: Which language is most important for you to know: Hindi or your reigonal language!

Govt. promoting for speaking Hindi,....

Speaking of Madurai Airport, the Airports Authority of India is one of the worst when it comes to running airports, but also one of the most committed when it comes to Hindi-imposition. From Chennai Airport:

Rajbhasha, apparently. Also, WTF do they mean by "Think in Hindi?" You have one job, guys.

But see what is written in English, and the Tamil version. Someone in AAI didn't know Tamil (or English) very well!

I can't read what it says in Hindi. Someone please enlighten me if it agrees with the English version.

A classical case how Govt of India promoting Hindi

99% of India's coffee production is from Karnataka (71%), Kerala (21%) and Tamilnadu (7%).

On the contrary 0% of coffee is grown in Hindi Belt. The biggest consumers of Indian Coffee is from South. In North, its primarily fueled by new age cafes which are driven by communication in form of English.

Still coffee Board of India is imposing Hindi. Forcing employees to use Hindi in their daily work.

Whats the relationship between COFFEE and HINDI? Why can't they promote other languages so that it improves communications with its direct stakeholders, say Kannadigas, Kodava, Tamil, Malayalees etc.

Old October 14th, 2017, 01:15 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by log1iszero View Post
Govt. promoting for speaking Hindi,....

Speaking of Madurai Airport, the Airports Authority of India is one of the worst when it comes to running airports, but also one of the most committed when it comes to Hindi-imposition. From Chennai Airport:

Rajbhasha, apparently. Also, WTF do they mean by "Think in Hindi?" You have one job, guys.

But see what is written in English, and the Tamil version. Someone in AAI didn't know Tamil (or English) very well!

I can't read what it says in Hindi. Someone please enlighten me if it agrees with the English version.

A classical case how Govt of India promoting Hindi

99% of India's coffee production is from Karnataka (71%), Kerala (21%) and Tamilnadu (7%).

On the contrary 0% of coffee is grown in Hindi Belt. The biggest consumers of Indian Coffee is from South. In North, its primarily fueled by new age cafes which are driven by communication in form of English.

Still coffee Board of India is imposing Hindi. Forcing employees to use Hindi in their daily work.

Whats the relationship between COFFEE and HINDI? Why can't they promote other languages so that it improves communications with its direct stakeholders, say Kannadigas, Kodava, Tamil, Malayalees etc.

You post tons of jokes in Hindi script. Now you say you can't read Hindi.

BTW, in this post you oppose govt asking madrasis to speak in Hindi. In the previous post, you complain about Madrasis not speaking Hindi. Which of these contradictory posts do you agree. Reminds me of a Hindi saying 'Nakal ke like bhi akal chahiye'
Old October 14th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Banned

I tho’t it was in quote.

I can't read what it says in Hindi. Someone please enlighten me if it agrees with the English version. – But isn’t it a common Tamilian Maddus’ mental strata of expressions? ( was a taunt )

They know Tamil and English Only. Hindi is a crime.

Sgar pai,...

First of all, the decision of Hindi and English was taken long time ago, with a consensus of everyone so it a fact. That it would only be a need for central government is a moot point. Question is, what stopped you from developing your own languages in your own regional areas.

It was a difficult task and Indians aren't particularly known for the hard work so it still continues.

Now, your another mistake is equating every time period. Timelines are not linear. The 2000 years between 2000BC to 0 is not same as from 0 to 2000AD. More exponential growth in successive time period means that languages would die at a higher rate than before.

People mean nothing in Indian context. India is not Switzerland which has right to initiative and referendums where can you go with your specific demands and have languages instituted. You have to take the same old route of represented electives who may or may not get through your demands.

Anything else is either going to have your demands procrastinated or have your collective asses kissed with oiled batons. It is not a desirable outcome, but sadly, most of well meaning intentions in India have met the same fate.

Please note that I too criticize India's language policy. It should never has been this inefficient way. But sadly, that's how it has happened.

What I find worse is South Indians kissing English much more than their languages. And today, almost every Indian languages has the similar problem. If they were true to their languages, I would have seen more growth in those languages. Sadly, that's not the case.
A quick link to Amazon library and Indian literary scene consist of poor rom-com and abridged translated versions of foreign authors. Are you ashamed of it, I am for sure.

I first came across this 'Hindi is a national language' thing in 2008 when I started using free internet. As a native Hindi speaker, I was in support for Hindi as a pan language for quite sometime until I learnt about problems people from other language face.

Later i'd study language policies and realized the flaws we have in our education systems. I even participated in danish primary school system to study their system to this effect.

Slow, beginning 2014, I started realizing that people from South have problems from Hindi, but they have no problem sucking upto english, a trait shared by all Indians equally. The reason is simple- English provides you with a high societal status which other sub-standard Indian languages can't.

I then also researched Indian institutions and found that language is an important key. And all Indian languages have equally failed to build themselves. Regional languages, instead of expecting from central government, could have worked towards their own cause. Sadly that is not the case. And therein lies the hypocrisy.

So, in the present time, I have never advocated Hindi as a pan Indian language (it is still more suitable but that's another thing). Neither have I advocated for Sanskrit. My research says that we have already lost that small time window several decades ago.

So forget pan-Indian thing- the best Indian languages can do (individial states or a group of states with common language) to develop their languages independently, their universities, institutions. Central government can lax the rules for Union government languages in critical institutions- law for instance. This is a much much harder task.

Problem is, no one is going to do that. They have gotten so used to the English drug that a person speaking Tamizh or Kannada would sound so unkool, but speaking something gibberish in the Queen's language would earn accolades.

Sgar pai and especially to Kalidas,...

Most of the Indian people’s mentality problem is that,….they think that, English means --- status, prestigious, stylish, high society - high class, of high category, forward class, top-notch, top seed, royal, Avon class society, portray... yada yada,…

Least they know,…… among all various and diff. surveys,… Hindi is the third / fourth numbered, highest spoken language of the entire world……

Chk it out !

Mind you, Hindi is not any inferior, does not matter that English is spoken in all major British ( once ) occupied nations,....!!!

https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/t...s-in-the-world
http://listverse.com/2008/06/26/top-...-in-the-world/
http://mentalfloss.com/article/67766...-borrowed-them
https://www.redlinels.com/most-widely-spoken-languages/
https://photius.com/rankings/languages2.html
https://www.rocketlanguages.com/blog...-in-the-world/
https://www.infoplease.com/arts-ente...anguages-world
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ative_speakers

My best wishes, Hindi may advance and prosper,....
Old October 14th, 2017, 01:59 PM
Banned

India - The real language map.

Union Govts last 70 years have done enough harm to the diversity of India.
India has woken up from slumber to protect its mother tongues.
Get out of the mindset to impose your language , we do not need a lingua franca at all, we can enrich our own 22/38 languages and make sure our higher education has it. Let BIMARU do the same we do not impose ours on them. MAJORITARIANISM is the biggest problem in India.
Unity in Diversity, we said when we joined Indian Union, now that you have numbers you want to kill ours and promote yours , oh please be "Roman in Rome" we will learn Hindi incase all of UP has mandated Kannada.
Lets give the Rajasthanis,Marwadis , Chattisgharis Bhojpuris , Tuluva & Kodava their rights.

Sgar Pai,...Lets make all languages official in Indian Union. Give importance to yr local language and Hindi First and English the least, perhaps my English is poor, hence recommending this...

Yeh halat hai Hindi ki,...

Last edited by log1iszero; October 14th, 2017 at 05:41 PM.