eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old June 7th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute
Oddity in Hindi language...

Hindi language has a very rich and diverse vocabulary. We have words, names, descriptions, adjectives for almost anything you can think of. Right??

Then why in the name of God do we have the same word for today and tomorrow - kal??

Who thought of this? Is there any other language where the same word is used as two things so closely related to each other and almost antonymous? The only other one I can think of is bad - which in certain dialects (ebonics) actually can mean good - but that is a perversion of the language, not the way it was meant to be.
Old June 7th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute
i guess even in gujju tha same word is used for today and tomorrow - kaley...with tha exception that u can use an "aavti"kaale..where aavti = aaneywaala..hence aaneywala kal.. know wha i m sayin...

so tha ambiguity of "kal" can be cleared with tha help of tense(past or future) i guess..
Old June 7th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
melly yaa and same case with parson.. narson and sarson ect.
Old June 7th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oddity in Hindi language...

Quote:
Originally posted by smellyfinger

Then why in the name of God do we have the same word for today and tomorrow - kal??

Which God?

Oh! u mean Kali, the goddess?

Yeah she is supposed to represent the aavtikal(tomorrow) of your gai-Kal(yesterday) deeds. Am I right?

Old June 7th, 2002, 09:35 AM
eFriend

awara_dost is a glorious beacon of lightawara_dost is a glorious beacon of lightawara_dost is a glorious beacon of lightawara_dost is a glorious beacon of lightawara_dost is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Oddity in Hindi language...

Quote:
Originally posted by smellyfinger

Today is aaj. Do you mean yesterday (kal) ?

Awara Hawa ka Jhonka Hoon, aa Nikla Hoon Pal do Pal ke Liye.
When you meet a man, you know his face but not his heart
Apni apni dhapli aur apna apna raag, eCharcha me apne baato ke gole daag
Old June 7th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
Yaar melly...i had once found a list of words in English which were their own antonyms. So, trust me it ain't just hindi.

One such example was the word 'fat'. Fat chance and Fat Guy mean almost opposite...this was one of the bad examples, but there were quite a few good ones.

I don't have the link, but the site still exists on the net. The first one to find the link gets a kiss from me.

Also, there are lotsa homonyms.

Metta till death do us part...
Old June 7th, 2002, 10:07 AM
eFriend

awara_dost is a glorious beacon of lightawara_dost is a glorious beacon of lightawara_dost is a glorious beacon of lightawara_dost is a glorious beacon of lightawara_dost is a glorious beacon of light
Uncle is used for chacha, mama, taya.......etc. etc.
same wau aunty is used for chachi, mami.....ect. etc.

is this wrong example ?

Awara Hawa ka Jhonka Hoon, aa Nikla Hoon Pal do Pal ke Liye.
When you meet a man, you know his face but not his heart
Apni apni dhapli aur apna apna raag, eCharcha me apne baato ke gole daag
Old June 7th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Source Integrator

CyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by awara_dost
Uncle is used for chacha, mama, taya.......etc. etc.
same wau aunty is used for chachi, mami.....ect. etc.

is this wrong example ?
KEwl man!!