eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Sports

Notices

Sports Your arena, your grounds, your pitch...

Old September 16th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Interview with Navjot SIngh Siddhu (quite funny)

HB(Harsha) : Sherry, let us start from the beginning. Tell us about your early life.

NS(Siddhu) : I was born in patiala on 29th October in 1969. My earliest memories are of my father telling me ''Son, never be a Zerox''. So I always believe in being original. I speak English like a native, a native Indian villager. My father was a lawyer by profession, who used to gobble his rivals like sausages with his smart phrases. I used to watch him at court cross-examine witnesses and learnt the fine art of commentary from him. All I do, is translate those phrases and proverbs from Hindi to English

HB : You made your debut in 1983 against the Windies, but made it big-time only four years later..

NS : My big break came in 1987 world cup, when I bamboozled and mesmerized all opposition, scoring four half-centuries in five innings.

HB : Just when you were all set for bigger things, you got involved in a police case.

NS : Yes, it was the most unfortunate incident of my life. Punjab police booked me and my close friend for culpable homicide. I was accused of killing one Gurmit Singh. I am telling you I was innocent, as innocent as a freshly laid egg.

HB : But you did beat up that guy...

NS : But then I am a Sikh, a born fighter, someone who will fight with a rattlesnake and give him the first two bites. Believe me, that guy was asking for it. How can you kill anyone who is hell-bent on commiting suicide?

HB : Do you regret that incident?

NS : Oh, yes Harsha I do, If only on that fateful day I had been able to check my emotions, which flew like the fare in Indian Taxi - but ifs and buts were pots and pans, there would be no tinkers After that my cricket career went in downward spiral. I became like kumbhakarna - six months in the team, then for another six months resting behind bars. Myfortunes were swinging like a rubber ball in a tidal wave. Earlier I was travelling on a German autobahn, but now I was on an Indian road. For about five years I was in and out of the Indian cricket team, and my performance became as erratic as electricity supply in most Indian cities

HB : After Sunny's retirement, you had several opening partners.Tell us about your experiences with them.

NS : Yes, there were several. There was Srikanth, completely unorthodox.The gap between his bat and pad used to be so much that I would have driven a car through it...and our fellow commentator Ravi, who was his exact opposite, very slow like Indian Three-wheeler which will suck a lot of diesel but cannot go beyond 30.

HB : What would you regard as the high point of your career ?

NS : When the Australians toured India with Shane Warne. Along with Sachin, I took Warne apart like a child tearing up the wrapping paper from his
birthday present! I made mincemeat of the mighty Aussies and ate them with Tomato sauce. I was on rampage, ! just like an Indian elephant I trampled
them like the elephant tramples the paddy fields.

HB : What is your opinion of current Indian team?

NS : Indian team's performance is like current hindi movies, too many flops and too few hits. It is too dependent on Sachin, Dravid, Srinath and
Harbajan. Indian team without these four is like CHICKEN BIRYANI without Chicken,Rice,Mutton, Biryani-Masala. It's an empty plate. you can not eat
it nor throw it away. Our cricketers are very volatile like the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE). You never know how they perform on a given day. They
are like bicycles in a cycle stand - one falls down and the complete row will be down !

HB : ... and skipper Saurav ?

NS : Saurav Ganguly is too open-minded. If you leave a soda! bottle open the gas will vanish! You have to close it times. As a captain he sets a bad example for his team by his poor fielding. He moves so slowly on the field like jack of jack n jill who goes to fetch pail of runs for the opposition

HB : Sherry, you have made a dramatic comeback as a commentator. But don't you feel embarrassed by the constant ridicule heaped on you for your flowery style of commentary?

NS : You can take the tiger out of the jungle, but u can't take the jungle out of the tiger. Why should I be embarrassed about it? In fact, at present there are only two super stars in Indian cricket - the two S's -Sachin & Sidhu. Let me tell you a secret. Star sports-ESPN need me, as they can no longer rely on the performances of Indian cricket team. After Sachin gets out, they need someone to keep the viewers entertaine! d. That is why they are now bringing that Bakra-guy Cyrus to commentate. I am telling you Harsha, your job is in danger, not mine. Soon the focus will be less on the game, more on us. It is going to become Sidhu-Cyrus show. The world is all about mind and matter, I don't mind and you don't matter.
Old September 16th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showth...ighlight=sidhu
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old September 16th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
maiN daalnay hi waala tha.
Old September 16th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
I d give anything to hear this dudes commentary.. I wish that audio was available anywhere (even MP3 chalegaa!!)..
Old September 16th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Interview with Navjot SIngh Siddhu (quite funny)

Quote:
Originally posted by echarcha
The world is all about mind and matter, I don't mind and you don't matter.
Ultimate phrase

Old September 16th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Dirty bhai you forgot the "repeat" ka emoticon..
Old September 16th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL
Dirty bhai you forgot the "repeat" ka emoticon..
Kaunsa ye ?
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old September 16th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
Re: Re: Interview with Navjot SIngh Siddhu (quite funny)

Quote:
Originally posted by Diplomat

Ultimate phrase
It's not original.

Most of Sidhu's phrases are either straight or modified/indianised lift-offs from other popular and humorous phrases. This 'mind over matter' (not "mind and matter")is a well known cliche.

I think Sidhu is over-rated. It's more because of the ignorance and under-exposure of Indian's in general regarding humor and wit.
Old September 16th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute
Cha pai - where is the link??

I dont believe this interview I want a link as proof (seriously).
Old September 16th, 2002, 12:16 PM
the voice of reason

vakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by smellyfinger
Cha pai - where is the link??

I dont believe this interview I want a link as proof (seriously).
there is no proof of a spoof
Old September 16th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Pelu Pelu

Re: Re: Re: Interview with Navjot SIngh Siddhu (quite funny)

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-G

I think Sidhu is over-rated. It's more because of the ignorance and under-exposure of Indian's in general regarding humor and wit.
Yaar but using these doctored phrases in a cricket commentary has to be hillarious.. another one who used such goofs was avtar singh sethi.. Once he said.. abhi abhi pata chalaa hai ki greenich ki biwi bachaa dene waali hai.. I fell of the chair laughing man.. koi gaay bakri hai kyaa us ki biwi....

Last edited by GpeL; September 16th, 2002 at 12:29 PM.
Old September 16th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Re: Interview with Navjot SIngh Siddhu (quite funny)

Quote:

It's not original.

Most of Sidhu's phrases are either straight or modified/indianised lift-offs from other popular and humorous phrases. This 'mind over matter' (not "mind and matter")is a well known cliche.

impromptu Music and Comedy are rarely original. They are representations of work whihc have manifested within you.

And almost all cliches have been spoken for in this world, save one or two new ones each year.

Old September 16th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Senior eCharchan

Pelu, yeah. He is the first one to do it as a commentator. And yes, he does deserve a little pat for that.

But honestly, the best I have managed is a bit of mild amusement at Sidhu's wisecracks. A kind smile, or maybe a little grin. Never exactly found it hilarious. For me hilarious or witty is something like Ryan Stiles or Collin Mochrie (from 'Whose line is it anyways').

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not trying to compare or trying to play the indians-are-substandard tune. Nopes. An Indian like Peot Surendra Sharma cracks me up like no one can, but Navjot is kinda okie-dokes.
Old September 16th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Super eCharchan

Quote:

For me hilarious or witty is something like Ryan Stiles or Collin Mochrie (from 'Whose line is it anyways').
Ya but they can not give cricket commentry or hit ball like Sidhu did. You are comparing apple to roanges !
Old September 16th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Senior eCharchan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Interview with Navjot SIngh Siddhu (quite funny)

Quote:
Originally posted by Diplomat

And almost all cliches have been spoken for in this world, save one or two new ones each year.
I agree totally.

But if you have already come across and have actually appreciated a cliche sometime in your life, you don't exactly feel like doing it again.
For the sake of taking an example, this 'mind over matter' thingie. I read it long back and found it good and appreciated it. So it doesn't really impress me a lot to hear it again from Sidhu's mouth. Just like most of 'his' quotes. Now, you must have heard it the first time from Sidhu so you really liked it, and you appreciated it. But lets say, 8 months from now you hear it again from someone else, you think you are still gonna appreciate the same way?