eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old September 25th, 2018, 03:31 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Ashdoc's movie review---Manto

This movie is based on the life of Saadat Hasan Manto , who has written some moving as well as graphic accounts of partition . He was a scriptwriter for the Bombay film industry as well as a short story writer during the British era . Many from the left/liberal lobby were his friends , especially from the progressive writers' association . He was friends with Shyam Chadda , who was a rising star . Also he was friendly with Ashok Kumar .

But he decided to flee India as he felt his life was under threat in the post partition atmosphere , because he was a muslim . It was a painful decision to make , as he loved Bombay and sorely missed it . And post partition Lahore where he shifted to , was devastated due to partition riots .

Pained by all this , Manto increasingly took to drink . But his stories of partition really brought him into trouble , as they were too stark with foul language and graphically described sexual violence . He was tried in court for obscene writings . Many literary critics testified that his work was indeed literature . The judge himself concurred with them , but convicted Manto saying that his nation did not allow such writings to be published . But naturally , for that nation was Pakistan---an islamic fundamentalist nation !!

So trusting Pakistan to which Manto had come for saving himself from hindu mobs , proved to be his biggest mistake . I was not surprised on seeing this . Pakistan has proved to be the biggest mistake of others too--like the ahmadis , who played a big role in fomenting hatred against hindus and creating Pakistan , only to find themselves declared non muslim in Pakistan .
Had Manto remained in Bombay , the relatively liberal atmosphere of India would saved him from conviction for alleged obscene writings .

In the end alcoholism drove him to get himself admitted to a mental hospital . His story of Toba Tek Singh is about lunatics in a mental hospital . Muslim lunatics are to be sent to Pakistan and hindu and sikh lunatics to India . But a sikh lunatic called Toba Tek Singh decided to die in no man's land between the two countries . The man probably represented Manto himself , who lived in Pakistan but could never mentally separate himself from Bombay .

Nawazuddin Siddiqui has played Manto rather well . but the movie is art movie . It will be liked mostly by art movie lovers . I fancy myself as one of them and found the movie an okay watch . Background music is decent and songs are good . Photography is okay but colours are stark due to the stark scenes in the film , like the ruin of post partition Lahore .

Verdict---Okay .

Two and a half stars out of five .
Old September 26th, 2018, 01:09 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashdoc's movie review---Manto

My questions are always dumb - How does the producer/financier expect to make money off this film?

The film might not be a big budget like the usual Bollywood masala movies, but still considerable amounts of money were spent making this.

Do film festival screenings help recoup the costs?
Old September 26th, 2018, 02:09 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

^^
In old days NFDC would finance the gear films. Or someone who has a lot of money and wants to attend film festivals and award ceremonies (in Cannes there is the added benefit of topless beaches) can finance these films.
Old September 26th, 2018, 08:47 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
My questions are always dumb - How does the producer/financier expect to make money off this film?

The film might not be a big budget like the usual Bollywood masala movies, but still considerable amounts of money were spent making this.

Do film festival screenings help recoup the costs?
Black money ko white karne ka .. and may get chance to sleep with some chicks/actresses. What else do directors and producers want?

With the #metoo movement going on these days, even Nana Patekar is named in such sleazy acts.. i wonder if whole entertainment industry is all about ding dong.
Old September 26th, 2018, 09:01 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Ashdoc's movie review---Manto

I drove to Kali paiís gaon to a stupid punjabi singerís show 2 weeks back.. bloody waste of time .. mofo didnít sing any of his famous numbers 2 hrs into the show. I got fed up and left like 80% of other non-drunk janta.

I was wondering what the singer would earn .. avg cost of ticket was 70 bucks .. i estimated about 200 people give or take a dozen. So 200 times 70 .. 14K .. subtract organizer profit, spending on hall, ticket printing/campaign, music equipment, police/security. hotel, flight for singer and his troupe of 6-7 guys .. bloody khayenga kya nichodenga kya. In 2 months stay he gonna do 10-15 shows.. too much work for 20-30K?

May be into kabootarbaazi ? comes to US Canada with 10-12 guys.. 3-5 disappear .. 30-50K per guy .. now we talking serious money.
Old September 26th, 2018, 09:03 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Black money ko white karne ka .. and may get chance to sleep with some chicks/actresses. What else do directors and producers want?

With the #metoo movement going on these days, even Nana Patekar is named in such sleazy acts.. i wonder if whole entertainment industry is all about ding dong.
3rd hand info.
Some friend told me that a waiter in a hotel told him that Nana was bajaoing Manisha Koirala on the carpet in the hotel room.
Who is accusing Nsna now?

Last edited by sgars; September 26th, 2018 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Replaced “^^” with quote
Old September 26th, 2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
^^
3rd hand info.
Some friend told me that a waiter in a hotel told him that Nana was bajaoing Manisha Koirala on the carpet in the hotel room.
Old September 27th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
I drove to Kali paiís gaon to a stupid punjabi singerís show 2 weeks back.. bloody waste of time .. mofo didnít sing any of his famous numbers 2 hrs into the show. I got fed up and left like 80% of other non-drunk janta.

I was wondering what the singer would earn .. avg cost of ticket was 70 bucks .. i estimated about 200 people give or take a dozen. So 200 times 70 .. 14K .. subtract organizer profit, spending on hall, ticket printing/campaign, music equipment, police/security. hotel, flight for singer and his troupe of 6-7 guys .. bloody khayenga kya nichodenga kya. In 2 months stay he gonna do 10-15 shows.. too much work for 20-30K?

May be into kabootarbaazi ? comes to US Canada with 10-12 guys.. 3-5 disappear .. 30-50K per guy .. now we talking serious money.

A few years ago Daler Mehndi was caught by US officials for doing this.

He would come to the USA with a 'performing troupe' of 10 to 15 people and on the return journey a few would conveniently 'stay back'.

I think we have this story on echarcha.
Old September 27th, 2018, 10:24 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
3rd hand info.
It was well known that Nana and Manisha Koirala had an affair. Even that short career span actress Jhulka (I forget her first name) had an affair with Nana.

It was not like Nana was raping them. It was consensual sex between two consenting adults.

Tanushree Dutta does not have much going for her film career-wise. So now this accusation on social media to get publicity and maybe some work.
Old September 27th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Senior eCharchan

razzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It was well known that Nana and Manisha Koirala had an affair. Even that short career span actress Jhulka (I forget her first name) had an affair with Nana.

It was not like Nana was raping them. It was consensual sex between two consenting adults.

Tanushree Dutta does not have much going for her film career-wise. So now this accusation on social media to get publicity and maybe some work.

that Ayesha Jhulka man - those were like pillows.. Nana got good taste..
Old September 27th, 2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
A few years ago Daler Mehndi was caught by US officials for doing this.

He would come to the USA with a 'performing troupe' of 10 to 15 people and on the return journey a few would conveniently 'stay back'.

I think we have this story on echarcha.
Yes, he denies it of course.. the case is from way back, got a sentence of 2 yrs, he's on bail now..

Quote:
Indian singer Daler Mehndi was granted bail after the Patiala court sentenced him two-years in prison in a 2003 human trafficking case.

The singer and his brother Shamsher were charged for illegally sending people abroad as a part of their dance troupes. The brothers later charged them exorbitant fee for this service.

Around 35 people came forward after the brothers charged them heavy 'passage fees' but failed to relocate them in the USA. It was also alleged that the Mehndi brothers took two dance groups to the USA in 1998 and 1999, and illegally 'dropped off' 10 people posing as troupe members.
Old September 27th, 2018, 09:57 PM

Ashdoc .. have you watched the movie Ďbuddha in traffic jamí ? I wanna read your review if you watch it.. itís on youtube
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

I recently read the book on making of this very important movie.. posted about it -> http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showpo...postcount=1201

Quote:
Urban Naxals: The Making of Buddha in a Traffic Jam is a book written by Bollywood film director, scriptwriter and producer Vivek Agnihotri, about the making of his film Buddha in a Traffic Jam.[5][6] In the book, Agnihotri writes about his experiences of making the film, which according to one review "exposed a nexus between an India-wide Maoist terror movement across red corridor in India and their supporters in urban centers, specially in academic institutions, print media, television media, administration, and non governmental organisation."

According to Agnihotri, Naxalites are waging war on India with details plans for an overthrow of the State.
Old September 28th, 2018, 12:45 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Ashdoc's movie review---Buddha in a traffic jam

Arunoday Singh plays a dynamic young man who has come to Hyderabad to study in a university . He is talkative and can make speeches inspiring his peers . He has all the makings of a yuppie ; he is liberal and cool and as sophisticated as they come . His and his friends' lifestyle is as cool as it can be in India ; they dance and sing to the beat of rock music , they ( including the females ) drink and smoke and party . His female friend ( played by Akanksha Dwivedi ) is free enough to dance almost topless on the bartender's table in a lounge . So free that she act attracts the unwanted attention of the moral police , who violently interrupt the act .

But at not too long a distance from Hyderabad in the district of Bastar lives another India . The tribals living there are being crushed by both sides---by the naxalites who beat them up regularly for co operating with government authorities and the government authorities who humiliate them for being in cahoots with the naxals . They have no hope of progress or development . Their only source of pride is their 5000 year old way of life that has not been change for 5 millenia . It is they who are focus of the film , even though it is played out mainly in the big city .

Back in the big city , Arunoday Singh takes part in a campaign called pink bra campaign against the moral police and he comes into the limelight due this . His articulate speeches against the moral policing win him admirers and he becomes a popular figure in the university . During this time he comes to the attention of a professor in the university ( played by Anupam Kher ) and his wife played by Pallavi Joshi . They run an NGO which sells pottery made by the tribals from Bastar and the sales of the pottery are used to help raise money for the tribals' development....a worthy cause , no doubt . Along with them is Mahie Gill , who openly says to Arunoday that she is a believer in the tribals' cause. A naxalite sympathiser who grows close to Arunoday soon .

But the NGO runs on government grants , and the government has recently decided to cut the flow of funds to such NGOs because the money is being fuelled to the naxalites . So Anupam Kher approaches Arunoday to create a way of raising money for his NGO . Arunoday takes up the task with full gusto and soon comes up with a master plan to sell the tribals' pottery online and cut out all the middlemen , so that the money is directly transferred to the tribals for whose benefit the whole enterprise is supposed to be . But Anupam Kher develops acute discomfort at this idea , and he says that he is a professor not a businessman and his prestige as a professor will be affected if he goes into online business .

But the real reason for his refusal is different ; he is the typical JNU type of professor , in cahoots with the naxalites and their brutal leader who is played by Gopal K Singh . Anupam goes to meet them in their hideouts , and this time when he goes there he is told that Arunoday must be killed immediately . For Arunoday's plan for helping the tribals' is too good ; it will bypass all the middlemen controlled by naxalites and even the government agents who are all revealed to be part of the money siphoning mafia . Arunoday has unwittingly got mixed up in all this and has brought about his own doom...or has he ? For Anupam Kher's aide Mahie Gill is not a corrupt person but a real passionate naxalite who genuinely cares for the tribals' cause and is appalled by this planned murder , and her personal reason for this is that she is in love with Arunoday too . Also Anupam's wife Pallavi Joshi is shocked by her husband's involvement with the naxalites and is prepared to help Arunoday . Together they and Arunoday hatch a plan to bring the situation to justice....

Straightway I must say that it takes courage to make such a film ; the JNU type of anti nationals whom the movie villainizes have a tremendous hold on our media and culture . All reviewers panned the movie after it was released under pressure from the liberal/anti national mafia which controls our press . And the director's courage must be applauded by watching the film . For it brings out the true colours of the universities like JNU and their professors . They are clearly funding the maoists and in cahoots with them .

I could see myself in Arunoday---a real person , a buddha like figure who believes in peace and wants to lead a liberal westernized free life . But he has peoples' good at heart and being liberal does not mean he wants to be anti national . But in this movie Buddha has been caught in a traffic jam created by elements inimical to our nation....

The movie scores on photography and colours and has decent music and songs . Acting by Arunoday is top class and Anupam Kher too excels , especially excelling in his last speech when he spells out his mad dream of communist revolution in the classroom . For anybody interested in politics and wanting to be in touch with contemporary issues , the film is a must see !!

Verdict---Highly Recommended .

Four stars out of five.

Last edited by ashdoc; September 28th, 2018 at 12:50 AM.