eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old April 28th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Its nostalgia time - Please describe your first few days in USA

There was an article in San Jose Mercury News written by a Indian woman who came here to USA 3-4 years ago with her husband and a year old young son.

She recounted how she felt initially and how she has adjusted to USA today.

Could you describe your first few months or days when you came here? How did you find it different than your home place in India? How did you adjust to the different life style here? What funny incidents occured?

I think this is better than the usual religion bashing topics. I have tried to curtail those but seems like it would take up my entire time on eCharcha just policing such topics. So .. fooosh.. I dont care.. will police and delete stuff as I find time for it... I know most of you dont indulge in that crap so lets move on to some interesting stuff.
Old April 29th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Pushing it up

Pushing it up
Old April 29th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Why only usa.. anywhere out of India

Well had a shock at how things work efficiently etc. Woke up a few days in the middle of the night and actually touched the floor to make sure I was not dreaming. Then on/off confusion. Then spent some time ogling at girls and ofcourse at how cheep beer was. Then got a project and after that I had no time for anyother thoughts. Wondered at the Late WTC's height and made a promise that I would buy it some day. Went to Discos (and will not say anymore on that topic). Went to strip joints.. well basically was a typical desi dude with hormones gushing out of his ears..

Next year got married and rest is history.
Old April 29th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Senior eCharchan

cool_jazzmin is infamous around these partscool_jazzmin is infamous around these partscool_jazzmin is infamous around these partscool_jazzmin is infamous around these partscool_jazzmin is infamous around these partscool_jazzmin is infamous around these parts
well.....I'm a student here in USA..and as far as the experiences in US goes..I"ve had it upto here.....with GUYZ!!!!
I"ve come across such varied specimens ,gotten hurt,fallen in love,been taken for ride,bitched against(probably cuase 'HE" didn't get me!!)..etc..etc...right now...I'm going thru the worst phase of my life as far as guyz are concerned!
I don't understand why they can't be straight,nice and funny!!

Maybe I need soem advice from tantric-yogi,vyom,baapji,on this......take me into ur sharan ..o gyaani one!!..

But I've had some wonderful experiences here too..like my first kiss..heeheehee.

ANd then there's the wonderful school experience ,the parties,the living together.,...small indian student community that I come from...we are everything for each other..home away from home.
Old April 29th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Senior eCharchan

cool_jazzmin is infamous around these partscool_jazzmin is infamous around these partscool_jazzmin is infamous around these partscool_jazzmin is infamous around these partscool_jazzmin is infamous around these partscool_jazzmin is infamous around these parts
errr...seems like I got carried away a little there..
ahem!!!

the first few days...I was in awe of the natural beauty of this country,the friendliness of the natives was more than welcoming.
Was of full of josh of makin it big here...makin friends...all the works all alone...wat with me being a young girl just out of the protected kavach of family back home.
was naive...gullible....had to learn to make my own decisions and then STICK to them...had to learn to NOT to trust each and everybody.....take time in makin friends.and yes......food sucked big TIME!! had to learn to atleast "COOK" the food properly.....heeheehee.

and then there were the GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 29th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Senior eCharchan

hey echarcha...wat were ur experoneces like???
Old April 29th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Senior eCharchan

nydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to all
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by cool_jazzmin
If they werent straight, you probably wouldnt have gone through all the wonderful experiences
Old April 29th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Senior eCharchan

u mean... ' if they "WERE" straight...'right??

honestly speaking...they I wouldn't call them wonderful...cause they were temporary...fleetin.

I love the fire works..but the stars are wat i want....
wat say?
Old April 29th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Senior eCharchan

nydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to all
OK.. let me start off with me being on the plane. There were butterflies in my stomach coming to this country far far away from home(as I am sure most of you had that experience). Disembarking from the aircraft, I saw the huge line at immigration and thought that oh boy.. this is going to be a long wait. But was pleasantly surprised to see the lines moving quickly and realized that the system was kindof efficient(yes enri, you can gloat )
Once I came out of the terminal, the air smelt different(maybe it was the rain). Maybe it smelt different was because I was in Bombay for a few days before I flew to the US. Now being a typical Puneite I hate Bombay and even the way it smells (I guess Bombayites are gonna take my as* for that)

The first place I saw was NYC. I was planning to go to California and work there, but after staying in NYC for a few days, never even went to CA.

The first month was a little frustrating on the job front but I made a few good friends who gave me a lot of support during those testing times. Being a single guy and not being able to cook properly (a self cooked feast would probably consist of boiled eggs and Maggi noodles) was kinda tough, specially when I was job hunting.

After I got my job, its been smooth sailing all the way (except on the girls front so far) and unlike jazzmin I have not yet had it upto here with girls. (Wish I did )

Initially I also used to hang out near the WTC, man there were some really hot women. But after a while I kinda got used to seeing the women here. Now I just wait till I go to India, I feel the Indian women are the prettiest (but thats a totally different topic altogether).
Well.. that was -in a nutshell- my first few days in the US
Old April 29th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Senior eCharchan

Thumbs up

Quote:
I love the fire works..but the stars are wat i want....
wat say?
Everyone gets their star someday
Old April 29th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Senior eCharchan

>>Everyone gets their star someday

tere muh me ghee shakkar nydood!! pata nahin mera tara kab aasman se tootkar zamin par mere lap me aakar girega..sigh!!!!

and talkin more about experiences,,I had some hilarious(embarrassing now!!..but I don't care!!) experiences..like when I was at the airport in one of the cities in USA...I needed the trolley and for that had to make the machine eat some 1 dollar notes to get the trolley out ...and have f*****g clue wat happened ..but the machine ate up my notes..guess i didn't know how to work the damn thing..the inside-outside-upside-down thing about inserting the notes!!!! and then I had to ask an AMru sittin there (and having fun watchin me.. at my expense) to help me out and he actually wasn't cooperative..just mumbled something and sat tight on his ass there!
but neways....u come across all kinda ppl here..most of them are good.
Old April 29th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Source Integrator

CyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to all
The first ferw days......

OK

The next few days ......

FUN

Now......

Roller Coaster. Highs (u got it) and Lows (u got it again)
Old April 29th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
well.....I'm a student here in USA..and as far as the experiences in US goes..I"ve had it upto here.....with GUYZ!!!!
I"ve come across such varied specimens ,gotten hurt,fallen in love,been taken for ride,bitched against(probably cuase 'HE" didn't get me!!)..etc..etc...right now...I'm going thru the worst phase of my life as far as guyz are concerned!

Maybe I need soem advice from tantric-yogi,vyom,baapji,on this......take me into ur sharan ..o gyaani one!!..

But I've had some wonderful experiences here too..like my first kiss..heeheehee.

ANd then there's the wonderful school experience ,the parties,the living together.,...small indian student community that I come from...we are everything for each other..home away from home.

pelunics is ur only hope dear girl....
Old April 29th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by DesiBaba

pelunics is ur only hope dear girl....

pelunics??? wat the heck is that??
Old April 29th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Hit search and type pelunics.. you will find thread describing it.

Jai ho.. jai ho.