eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Taaza Khabar - Current news

Notices

Taaza Khabar - Current news Discuss the latest news making waves...

Old September 16th, 2008, 11:10 AM
unbanned and unstoppable

gayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant future
Desi student shot dead

Student's murder in US casts gloom in AP

Mohammed Siddique in Hyderabad | September 16, 2008 | 17:29 IST

Four days have passed to the brutal murder of T Sowmya Reddy in the US but her family here is yet to get any proper information about the incident and any assurance when the body will be sent back to India.

Hemalatha, the widowed mother of Sowmya Reddy, who is shocked and stunned since the tragic news reached her, has appealed to the state government to intervene and ensure that the body of the 22-year-old student of Southern Illinois University is sent back to Hyderabad soon.

Sowmya, who originally hails from Kadam mandal of Adilabad district, was doing her MS (Electronics) at the Edwards Ville campus. According to the sketchy reports reaching home, she was found murdered in her car at a distance from the campus. She was last seen in the company of an Afro-American student. Investigations into the case has now been taken over the Federal Bureau of Investigation, reports from the US said.

Ever since the news Sowmya's death reached home, the family living in Padmarao Nagar colony of Secunderabad is under utter shock and disbelief. "I can't believe that my daughter is not alive. She had spoken to me only a day before the incident," Hemalatha said.

Sowmya Reddy comes from the family of brilliant scholars. While her elder sister Sahaja is dong post graduation from Governance State University, Chicago, her brother Rajesh Reddy is a student of IIT Chennai.

The family members said that Sowmya was a brilliant student all through her educational career and was a topper in school and college. She went to the US in July 2007.

The family has shifted to Hyderabad from Adilabad in 1996 after Sowmya's father, a government employee died. Hemalatha is also a government employee and she brought up the children hard way. �

In her last call home, Sowmya had told the family that she will be visiting them during the next holidays in March. But now the family is waiting for the body.

Sowmya is the fourth student from Andhra Pradesh to fall prey to the violent crimes in the United States during last seven months. Two PhD students Chandrasekhara Reddy and Kiran Kumar Allam were killed in Louisiana University in December last year while Dr A Srinivas was found dead in Pennsylvania University in March this year. The US police arrested group of black youth, with past criminal records in connection with the murder of the two PhD students in their hostel room.

Link

Here's the update on this one:

http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/sep/16ap.htm

I think in the recent years quite a number of desi students have been shot and robbed. saala chewtiyalog for 5 -10$ maar deta he. I am wondering why do students go to high crime places like Chicago and Lousiana. Thoda relatively safe jagah jaaoo. Looks like most of these shootings happen around those places.

I met a desi gal in SD a couple of weeks back and she was studying in St. Louis and she got mugged at gun point, after that she transferred to SD and finished her studies here. Scary man

Last edited by echarcha; September 16th, 2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Desi student shot dead

Please format breaking news properly. Here read this please!
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM
unbanned and unstoppable

gayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant future

This reminds me how lucky I was when I was a night clerk during my student days. saala tabi jawan khoon tha.. bahut risk leta tha.. abhi have wisened up over the years
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

This is the last time I am formatting any breaking news story for folks who dont follow guidelines. Next time, the story gets moved to Soapbox or deleted!
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:16 AM
We change, values don't

2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute

Even if it is a coincidence it is surprising that all these murdered students are from AP...
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:20 AM
unbanned and unstoppable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gud View Post
Even if it is a coincidence it is surprising that all these murdered students are from AP...
They form the majority of the student community here. It's not surprising. Look they are a lot of gun point muggings and beatings that don't get the new coverage. I think the students are better off avoiding those Universities. Students get robbed on the way to the dorms/University. I think the Universities in TX, CA are a lot safer.
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Just numbers 2Gud pai....look around more than 80% students are from Andhra... just plain probability....but horryfying.... in last one year this must be 6th or 7th desi to be murdered....difficult times.... war, depression, inflation.....no wonder people are going crazy....

Old September 16th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Life is BEAUtiful

sunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is exactly what i was thinking.
May her soul rest in peace

Old September 16th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayaguzra#1 View Post
They form the majority of the student community here. It's not surprising. Look they are a lot of gun point muggings and beatings that don't get the new coverage. I think the students are better off avoiding those Universities. Students get robbed on the way to the dorms/University. I think the Universities in TX, CA are a lot safer.
I somehow always thought that South was more dangerous......

Old September 16th, 2008, 11:28 AM
the Centre Right Indian!

rameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayaguzra#1 View Post
sorry to bust ur bubble, but any area with blacks is a scary area! i used to live in a smaller city near Houston and desi students used to get mugged everyother week! my roommate was robbed at gunpoint right in front of my apartment!

i feel a lot safe since I moved to Utah. no blacks! sure, there is a bit of discrimination (not in SLC or the university but if you visit rural Utah) but there are no blacks! there are times I come home as late as 12 or 1am with a laptop in my backpack but its still safe and yet to meet a mugger!

RIP to her and hope her family has the support their need to handle this tragedy!

Captain R Harshan
Ashok Chakra, 2 PARA SF,
Indian Army.
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:38 AM
We change, values don't

2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute

May be it is my misconception... but it seems like many blacks hate colored people/Indians and tend to be more racist than whites are, who are more subtle while expressing any racist feelings...
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Livin La Vida Loca

YedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond repute

south in fact is more dangerous. Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia are rundown states where you need to be extremely alert. Reminds me of my days in MS. We used to always move in groups of 5 or 6 in the univ or while going home late nights. Ours was more of a university town, so there wasn't too much interaction with the rest of the city which made it relatively safe. Still it is very hard for many people down there to comprehend brown skin as such. They just feel we are all terrorists. TX is much better in that sense. Austin, Houston, DFW no problems as such, since there are more desis in these cities than locals I think if you go further south towards Mexico, you might find trouble very easily, esp towns like Kingsville, Corpus, Brownsville.

I feel most of the victims end up being from AP is coz of, #1 the sheer number of andhrites compared to others and #2 Andhrites tend to blend much more easily maybe coz of #1. I have seen a lot of andhrites feeling really at home here in the US even when they are new to the country. My analysis might be wrong too.
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is some other motive/reason, than robbery/murder in this.

Quote:

The mystery over the killing of an Andhra student in the US state of Missouri deepened on Tuesday with the discovery of the body of an Indian man in a lake near the spot she was found shot dead.

The body of Soumya Tummala, a 22-year-old electrical engineering student at Southern Illinois University in Edwardsville, was spotted by passersby inside a car near the Sunfish Lake boat ramp in Spanish Lake area at about 8.30 am on Sunday.

Detectives searching the area for clues found the body of Vikram Kumar Tummala, 27, in the lake three hours later, local newspapers St Louis Post and Belleville News Democrat reported.

He has also died of a bullet wound, they said.

Police said they believe Vikram Tummala is related to Soumya Tummala, but is not her husband or brother. They lived at different addresses in Maryville.

St Louis County police did not discuss specific details and stopped short of calling the shootings a murder-suicide, but they said no one else was involved, according to the Post.

The Ford Taurus car, in the passenger seat of which Soumya's body was found, was registered in Vikram's name, the police said.

"What we're trying to find out now is why these two individuals from Maryville, Illinois, were up in such a remote area of St Louis County," police spokesman Rick Eckhard said.

He said a relative of Soumya flew to the area and identified her body. "The investigation will continue as we work with the medical examiner's office and interview family and friends," Eckhard said.
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM
We change, values don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmthaLal View Post
I think there is some other motive/reason, than robbery/murder in this.
This is getting intriguing by the minute... most probably this seems like a love-hate murder...
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Livin La Vida Loca

YedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is getting intriguing by the minute... most probably this seems like a love-hate murder...
some people just choose to make their lives so complicated! Bhai jaan hai toh jahaan hai. Keep it simple. Eat, sleep, work, play. Tatz all you need to live your life.