eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Taaza Khabar - Current news

Notices

Taaza Khabar - Current news Discuss the latest news making waves...

Old November 9th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Prithviraj Chavan to be next Maharashtra chief minister

Prithviraj Chavan to be next Maharashtra chief minister

Many many years ago, when he was a MP, I had the chance to meet him in a very odd place - a technical exhibition at the World Trade Center in Mumbai. I was working at my first job and our company had put up a booth. It was for our product - a photo printer. Well, he came up, looked at the output and then I was floored when he asked me 'Does the output have to be in PostScript or will raster files do?". I mean I never expected a politician to know all this. I answered him whatever the technical specs were. Later on, I learnt that he is a comp science graduate and has studied in the USA (MS in Comp Science from UC Berkeley).

He has risen from rung to rung and has reached this stage. I think he is from our Satara area! I maybe wrong though. Good that he will replace the incapable Ashok Chavan!!

Quote:
TNN, Nov 10, 2010, 09.24am IST
NEW DELHI: Prithviraj Chavan on Wednesday morning met Congress president Sonia Gandhi at 10 Janpath in New Delhi raising speculations that he will be the next chief minister of Maharashtra.

Senior Congress leaders Pranab Mukherjee and A K Antony also arrived at Sonia Gandhi's residence to elicit their opinion on choosing a successor to Ashok Chavan.

The Congress Legislature Party (CLP) in Maharashtra on Tuesday night authorised AICC chief Sonia Gandhi to choose a new leader to succeed Ashok Chavan who resigned as chief minister in the wake of Adarsh housing society scam.

A one-line resolution was passed by the CLP meeting authorizing Gandhi to pick the new chief minister of the state.

The race to succeed Ashok Chavan seems to have narrowed down from four to two with minister of state in the PMO Prithviraj Chavan seen to have a greater chance than veteran leader Balasaheb Vikhe-Patil as the other candidate.

Though both are Marathas, they could not be more different. Vikhe-Patil is arural politico with a strong sense of grassroots and a hold on the influential cooperative network. The Berkeley-educated Chavan has been a central minister, who has never been in state politics and is more at home with policy and complex issues like the India-US nuclear deal.

The three-fold criteria outlined by Rahul Gandhi -- clean image, capability and efficiency -- should help Chavan nose ahead of Vikhe Patil who, at 77, is handicapped also by his advanced age.

Chavan has won three Lok Sabha elections and his base in Karad in the heart of western Maharashtra is a battlefield between Congress and Sharad Pawar's NCP with whom it shares an uneasy alliance.

Both Chavan and Vikhe-Patil qualify for being staunchly anti-Pawar though in terms of understanding state politics, the latter would score.

Ashok Chavan's ouster comes on the heels of a series of reports in The Times of India, beginning October 25, detailing how top generals, bureaucrats and politicians had cornered prime real estate in Mumbai that was meant for war veterans, including Kargil heroes, and how the chief minister's mother-in-law and two relatives had been allotted flats valued in the market at about Rs 8 crores in the 31-storey building named Adarsh that had come up on the ill-gotten land in flagrant violation of environmental laws.

LINK

Last edited by echarcha; November 9th, 2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:19 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Prithviraj Chavan to be next Maharashtra chief minister

Well he has a similar name to prithviraj chauhan ,the king who lost india to the muslims centuries ago.

May this prithviraj chavan lose maharashtra to the sena -bjp in future .......god willing !!
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Ass Kicker

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
[b][size="5"]He has risen from rung to rung and has reached this stage. I think he is from our Satara area! I maybe wrong though. Good that he will replace the incapable Ashok Chavan!!
At least you accept that Kangress provided Maharashtra an incapable CM for so long! BTW even Ashok Rao ji Chavan saheb was an educated man with a good personality.
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Senior eCharchan

aragorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
At least you accept that Kangress provided Maharashtra an incapable CM for so long! BTW even Ashok Rao ji Chavan saheb was an educated man with a good personality.

u beat me to it......
Old November 10th, 2010, 02:06 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

If education etc. is the requirement, they should appoint some bureaucrat for the job, as they did in case of MMS.

or maybe get some University professors with their Ph.D.
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old November 10th, 2010, 06:48 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
Well he has a similar name to prithviraj chauhan ,the king who lost india to the muslims centuries ago.
yes. pls share the historical prithiviraj's story in detail if you could.

Last edited by PeaceSeeker; November 10th, 2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old November 10th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceSeeker View Post
he is a perfect kutta who is ready o licks sonia's ass till his tongue falls off..he is without any lobby..i hope i have provided you some relevant information.
Old November 10th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
Thats the nice part - unlike fugga chaddi brigade where you cannot question why they still go after an ancient agenda, here you are allowed to critique and introspect and question your party leaders. Ashok Chavan got entangled in all this mess and was not an able administrator. He was not the right choice after Vilasrado Deshmukh went to the Center. So this is course correction. Nothing to get all overjoyed about. Lets see the results of next elections when fugga chaddi and no-more-teeth SS have to sit it out once more
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
Prithviraj Chavan to be next Maharashtra chief minister

Many many years ago, when he was a MP, I had the chance to meet him in a very odd place - a technical exhibition at the World Trade Center in Mumbai. I was working at my first job and our company had put up a booth. It was for our product - a photo printer. Well, he came up, looked at the output and then I was floored when he asked me 'Does the output have to be in PostScript or will raster files do?". I mean I never expected a politician to know all this. I answered him whatever the technical specs were. Later on, I learnt that he is a comp science graduate and has studied in the USA (MS in Comp Science from UC Berkeley).

He has risen from rung to rung and has reached this stage. I think he is from our Satara area! I maybe wrong though. Good that he will replace the incapable Ashok Chavan!!
i have worked very closely with graphic file formats and i know their structure at bit level. Just for info, postscript support vector and raster graphics both.... Still, the minister may have meant postscript vector graphics only.
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantikari View Post
i have worked very closely with graphic file formats and i know their structure at bit level. Just for info, postscript support vector and raster graphics both.... Still, the minister may have meant postscript vector graphics only.
This was around 1994. Photo printing on real photo paper was very rare in India and my company had the sole agency for such an expensive and advanced photo printer. This printer had a CRT which would expose the moving roll of photo paper which then went into a mini chemical bath just like those photo processing machines you see at 1 hour photo stores. It was quite compact considering it had so much stuffed into it. The brand name was ... aa ... yes Metrum FotoPrint.

It would accept Postscript file formats whether you wanted to print from a vector program like Corel Draw or a raster program like Photoshop.
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Ass Kicker

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanfanabhi View Post
he is a perfect kutta who is ready o licks sonia's ass till his tongue falls off..he is without any lobby..i hope i have provided you some relevant information.
This was funny..yet true
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Ass Kicker

Okay here is what I say. This Prithviraj Chavan may not last beyond 10 months as Maharashtra CM. BTW what happened to Rahul Gandhi's youth brigade? This guy is 64 years old.

Last edited by viking; November 10th, 2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old November 10th, 2010, 09:58 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

prithviraj chauhan was the king of ajaymeru ( now ajmer ) ,who also ruled over delhi .he was the most powerful king in north india ,and had incurred the wrath of jaychand ,the ruler of kanauj in UP , by eloping with his daughter sanyogita .

all these rulers , including those in UP, were rajputs ,who dominated north india .

they were descendants of scythian invaders from central asia ,who had intermarried into local people after settling in india. because the brahmins had realised that these warlike people were set to be the rulers of india for a long time , they had smartly co-opted the rajputs into the hindu system , by declaring them to be kshatriyas.this happened in the seventh century ,after the death of emperor harshavardhan.

by the time of prithvi , the rajputs had dominated india for a period of 5 and a half centuries.they were a people who followed a code of chivalry .......did not hurt innocent women and children in war ,did not chase an opponent who turned away to flee ,and did not attack or destroy the towns and cities or even villages ......indeed ,people went about calmly working and tilling their fields while armies fought battles nearby !!......in short , dharmayudda.......

they also considered death in battle the passageway to heaven if they fought by principles of dharmayudda ,and were not at all afraid to die........but the major weakness of this was that to them , the result of the battle was not important ,it was more important to fight bravely without compromising their principles.

this was okay while fighting other indians , but was glaringly exposed while fighting against determined opponents on an international scale .

not all times they were unsucessful however , and a major arab invasion was defeated by raja bhoj ,the king of ujjain ,in the ninth century.

also muhammad ghauri ,the opponent of prithvi was defeated by the rajput ruler of gujrat ,and by prithvi himself in early encounters.

but in the 11th century , one of the greatest generals mahmud of ghazni invaded india 17 times ,including somnath in gujrat ,which he utterly destroyed, and the weakness of the rajput military machine was glaringly exposed.

the chief advantage of the turks was archery , and their main technique was the parthian shot.......this involved turning back while the horse was galloping at full speed ,and still be able to fire the arrow accurately backwards on the chasing opponent.

thus the opponent could be lured in to chasing the turkish army which feigned retreat ,and suddenly the fleeing turkish army would turn back on their horses and fire arrows on the enemy ,surprising the opponent.

this was not easy , as firing arrows backwards accurately while the horse was moving forwrds required a lot of skill and practice ,but the turks had mastered it.

now let me take a breather while we move on to the story of prithviraj.

meanwhile read this post ,as background to the actual story.

Last edited by ashdoc; November 10th, 2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old November 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
meanwhile read this post ,as background to the actual story.
mahmud of ghazni's invasions resulted in loss of punjab ,northwest frontier ,while sind and baluchistan had already gone to arabs.

thus the area that has become pakistan was under muslim occupation for a much longer time than other parts of india ,which explains the greater muslim population in that area , and the creation of pakistan.

later mahmuds dynasty was replaced by the ghurids , to whom muhammad ghauri ,prithviraj's principle opponent belonged.as punjab passed to him from mahmuds dynasty ,he already had a foothold in india.

now he confronted the brave ,chivalrous prithviraj , ruler of rajasthan ,and dhillika ( delhi ).

but afraid to confront such a powerful and capable ruler ,he first tried his hand in invading gujrat . in this ,he was soundly beaten by the rajput ruler of gujrat .

however , jaychand ,the king of kanauj , proved traitor to his country by inviting ghauri to invade india and crush prithvi , in order to take revenge for the humiliation he had suffered ,when his daughter sanyogita had eloped with prithvi.

realising that cracks were appearing between the rajputs themselves , ghauri decided to invade delhi .declaring that '' he would send the cow-faced hindus to hell '' he proclaimed jehad ,and advanced with a force of maybe 50-60,000 horsemen on delhi ,which was governed by govind rai ,prithviraj's brother .

but as luck would have it , prithvi was in the vicinity of delhi ( actually dhillika ), not in ajaymeru ( ajmer ) his capital.he had with him a force of one lakh cavalry( horsemen ).

the two met at the village of tarain ,near thaneswar north of delhi.

mahmud's army was divided into 3 wings , right ,left and center.

the rajputs had all taken opium , which made them forget all attachment to the world , and fight with reckless bravery.

they attacked in a solid mass onto the turks. the turks were overwhelmed by the superior numbers of the rajputs , and their death defying heroics.

the sheer force of the rajput attack seperated the right and left wing of the turkish army from the center , and the turks began to lose heart.

ghauri decided to bolster up his force's courage and attacked govind rai ,prithviraj's brother with a lance that broke his teeth . but undaunted , govind rai picked up a spear ,and threw with accurate aim , wounding ghauri ,who fell from his horse.

just as govind rai's bodyguards began to close in to kill ghauri ,a khalji ( turk stteled in afghanistan ) soldier quickly picked him up on his horse ,and carried him to safety.

by this time the rout of the turks was complete ,and the first battle of tarain had gone in favour of the rajputs .

ghauri had done the mistake of meeting the brave rajputs in frontal charge ,where the rajputs excelled ,instead of using archers to attack them from far......hence he had lost.

true to their chivalrous spirit ,the rajputs did not try to destroy the retreating turks ......a mistake which would cost india dear in the days to come...........as many turks fled with their lives intact , free to fight another battle......

after this ,the rajputs laid seige to the fort of bhatinda , but did not possess seige engines , and could not capture it ........eventually ,it was starved into surrender after thirteen months........ but this again exposed indias lack of military knowledge .

now for another breather before continuing........
Old November 10th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You deserve a negative rep!!
Now we have history edition of Landya Pocket Books here.