eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old June 16th, 2005, 05:24 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute
Indian Culture ... NRI Way!

NRI brand of Indian culture! Sutradarji’s friends and their green card culture blues thread has gotten me going memory lane. Will come back later to do grammatical and spelling check.

Few of us young guys were an impressionable lot, fresh out of confinements of our culturally sophisticated backwaters of India. Everywhere ... where ever we went ... NY, Miami, LA, Lodon, Rome, Paris, Pune, Delhi or Mumbai ... we always had our share of so-called do-good Indian cultural ambassadors, the pioneers. These were the married couples, a decade or two older than you, who will sit you down and lecture you on everything good about our culture and all the advantages of marrying our own stock of culturally sophisticated Indian girls. These were self-proclaimed ambassadors of Indian culture who took great pride on raising their own young sons and daughters the Indian way. Their children spoke and wrote Hindi and local Indian dialects ... their children could dance ... their children woke up and touched parent’s feet before heading off to schools ... the works!

Fast-forward to the present times ... today, these same proud parents seek out other young people (just as they did with us 20 years ago), age of their own now grown young adult and teenage children. These culkturally sophisticated ambassador couples now lecture our young children and share the secrets of how they raised culturally sophisticated “Indian” kids who speak native languages and dance Indian dances. Proud parents of “raised the Indian way” kids!

So, now at social gatherings, religious functions and diwali happenings ... I see our proud Indian cultural pioneers with their “brought up Indian way” late teens and young adult children ... boys and girls. Proud parents, husbands and wives, holding glasses filled with alcohol, stand with pride along with the rest of hundred or so of us strangers, men and women, while their young daughters and sons get half naked and gyrate to the rhythm of bollywood songs. I see their half naked daughters doing the moves, which will put Mujhra dancers of Kamathipura to shame. Mujhras cost money ... mujhra dancers do it for money ... these children of culturally advanced Hindu parents do it for fun and of-course the spread of our Indian culture ... the Bollywood way!

It is while admiring half naked bodies of these young people performing on stage that some of us “culturally un-sophisticated” cannot help but stare at parents. So this is what they were teaching their kids ... so this is what they meant “raising kids the Indian way” ... their young daughters doing basic insticts of human nature is what Indian culture is what has become of it.

Shit ...
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!

Last edited by tantric_yogi; June 16th, 2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Senior eCharchan

Desi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant future
Re: Indian Culture ... NRI Way!

I see so many threads like this. If you guys hate the Western infuence so much.....why the hell did you move to N.America. The answer might be for the charm of the $$$$ but why are you guys having kids and settling here. This talk is like spitting in the plate that you eat from.

This is not directed at you tantric. I don't mean to offend anyone. I just get frustrated by threads similar to this one. Indian pop videos these days are much worse than any hip-hop video I have seen. Look at the india movies with item numbers and sex scenes. So many cases of taped sex is passed on the internet using camera phones and people still think kids in India have so much culture. Vyom bhai was just talking how he had over 4 movies with young people in india. He sent them to me....thank you for that vyom ji..... . You talk of drinking and smoking. Have you been to a club/bar in India. They have day clubs in India now. Kids tell their parents that they are going to school/college...instead they bunk and go to these day clubs. Just go and stand outside any movie theatre in india and you will see how many young people smoke. Chk the stats....women are fastest growing group when it comes to smoking in india. You guys about NRI's...guess what....you are one too!!

I don't have any problem with all this but I get tired hearing from people that kids/peope in india are so much superior morally. If that was the case....india would not have the highest corruption rate or cases of human rights violations, child prostitution...I can go on and on. These are contradictory.

Honestly from what I see....kids here are more in touch with their culture than kids in India. I see more kids in involved in activities with the mandir and other social activities. In the other thread you guys were hailing the kid winning the spelling bee.....the stats of young indian doctors being 30% of all doctors in the usa...guess what...all of them are ABCD's or kids who have pretty much grown up here. Ofcourse they are douchebag kids but they are bad kids everywhere. Just because you saw a few girls scantily clad...that doesn't mean kids here are morally unjust.

For the record...I wasnt born in the US.

Last edited by Desi24; June 16th, 2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:47 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

No. Sire, I am not offended because that precisely is the point of my post. For those among us who look down at western culture are lost in their own confused state of wilderness.

How else can you explain so-called "proud of Indian culture" Hindu parents letting their sons and daughters dance half naked to the tunes of bollywood massala songs and all that in front of strangers? This is happening everywhere you go ... attend any Indian social function ... Toronto, NJ, LA, Europe, Singapore, Tokyo, Jummritaliaya ... same story is being repeated everywhere you go. Indian culture nights and socail functions have come down to dancing half naked to the tunes of qawalis and rowdy songs. Bull shit. That is not my culture. I would rather let my children grow up following western culture where middle aged parents dont let children get on stage in front of elders to dance half naked to the tunes of sizzling bollywood songs.

edit: You ought to see ghagras and cholis some of these young performers wear. You can almost see pubic bones. Bull shit.

Indian Hindu culture ... my arse.
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!

Last edited by tantric_yogi; June 16th, 2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old June 16th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Alibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi24
I see so many threads like this. If you guys hate the Western infuence so much.....why the hell did you move to N.America. The answer might be for the charm of the $$$$ but why are you guys having kids and settling here. This talk is like spitting in the plate that you eat from.
I guess this is exactly what Tantu pai is trying to stress. He is not avers to the western influence, he's just against the "hypocritical", "culturaly sophisticated" Indians abroad, who boast about bringing up their kids in "true", "traditional" Indian way, only to be found out that the kids have actually learnt very little of it! Flaunting skin in public is certainly not "traditional"!

Ultimately the point still remains the same.. Tantu pai, or you for that matter have perhaps moved abroad for the charm of foreign currency.. but so have the "culturaly sophisticated" (tantu pai, I like this term by the way!) elder Indians! Why the hell do they have to preach about following correct Indian traditions even while you are serving in some other country! Why can't they have an open mind? This is hypocricy.. isn't it? Bloody double standards..
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Indian Culture ... NRI Way!

I hear what you say Tantu. A close friend has a 3 year old kid. He has a green card, good job, etc. He is seriously planning to move back to India. He feels that his daughter is 'learning and asking' things which he did not expect. He wants to move back. Well, I cannot tell him how he should bring up his daugther but these kinds of things do happen here. People do lecture you about culture and ways of living as per Indian standards.

I think it is parents who have to set a good example to their children about life and ways to live. Teaching them your own mother tongue and religion and culture (not Bollywood culture) is not a bad thing but essential. However, hammering kids with "Beta/Beti you should do this because this is how we do it in India" constantly would be like telling them to wear warm coats in summer!
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Senior eCharchan

Desi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant future

I guess I mis-read Tantu bhai(I like this name better too!) post. You are right that a lot of hypocrisy exists in our society. I think this mentality is because of the British rule on India. We are always trying to adopt their way and in some way trying to impress them.

I was watching "boogie woogie"(I was bored and nothing else was on ). And I saw these little girls dancing to "Sharara sharara". I was like how in the hell would you let your daughter dance to something obsecne like that. She was wearing tons of make-up with a belly shit. Truly disgusting

Its kinda of an irony that people in America are getting conservative everday and our people are become more n' more liberal(and not in a good way).
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Senior eCharchan

shahenshah will become famous soon enough

It is so unexpected to see a "serious" post by Mr. TY....

His outrage..well...the explanations are simple: for a good (greater?) part of Indians, "Indian Culture" is equivalent to Bollywood culture. I mean, that is where Indian middle-class sensibilities extend to...are limited to...so this is maybe a dichotomy we all live with...on the one hand carrying the image of the sati-savitri pavitra nari but on the other hand relishing the matkas-and-jhatkas of Bollywood....from Saira Banu to Mumtaz to Zeenat to Parveen to...Priyanka Chopra...

about them letting their daughters dance "half-naked"...I do not know...haven't seen that but I am guessing there is no way they can force their kids to follow the same rules of "modesty" women in India _might_ follow...but again, the performances of their daughters are emulating their own cultural icons, so maybe they perversely are able to overlook such "revealing" dresses on their own kids...

A World of Music

----------
Old June 18th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Junior eCharchan

Mamu is an unknown quantity at this point

So Tantrik do you have any kids or are you childless?
Old June 18th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamu
So Tantrik do you have any kids or are you childless?
Tantrik has atleast one daughter....and she's driving Tantrik nuts
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Banned

CYBERIAN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi

Indian Hindu culture ... my arse.
culture is 'culture'. there are no absolutes in culture. if the parents had not taken care, these kids would have become perhaps junkies, perverts or totally confused lot. Or at most they would have 'married' some white _lut deluding themselves ... and perhaps their children would be like mini shobhrajs.

the quoted sentence shows your culture.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:49 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

$$$$ (or money in general) will make one do anything.....

no wonder one sees all the nudity in movies, people moving to western countries coz they get no "monetary satisfaction" in India, etc etc etc

so ridiculing the NRIs or lecturing on how children need to be brought up wont serve any purpose......