eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old February 13th, 2019, 10:47 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Post How some of our parents generation was real stupid when it came to schools

This might sound controversial and somewhat extreme, but hey, I dont care a fuck!

I have met a lot of Maharashtrian people who are from Mumbai. Many of them went to English medium or convent schools. Now the thread title says 'some of our parents generation' because not all parents did what some parents did - screw their children's education.

How?

Well, in those days, in the mid to late 80s, there was this thing in SSC exams that if you took Sanskrit as the third language you were bound to score 100 out of 100. Why? Because certain schools made the students memorize all the Sanskrit and then puke it out on the paper. Even the exams asked questions which required just memorization and puking on the paper. It did not matter if the students understood one word of Sanskrit.

I remember that my grandfather wanted me to get our of convent school and join a Marathi medium school in 8th standard as Sanskrit was from 8th to 10th. This school, where I lived in Mumbai, was a so called English medium.

Lot of parents pushed their kids into this school in 8th standard for sake of Sanskrit.

My father was not a highly qualified or educated degree holder. I told him that I will not go to this school as I had zero interest in Sanskrit. I knew, even back then in my 7th standard, that Sanskrit was a useless language and had no practical use. I convinced my father that for sake of 100/100 I would be diverting my energies from other subjects which I liked.

Thank Heavens, Thank God, my father listened to me and did not push me in to that shit Sanskrit school. I mean, with all due respects, Sanskrit is useless as a language as it has no practical application anywhere.

But I saw many of my friends end up in that Sanskrit shit school and then curse for the rest of their life.

Then I met many here who had undergone the same shit.

Well, I think some of our education and education policies were pretty shitty and Sanskrit should not be forced on kids. Its a waste of time. Instead some other language, maybe a foreign language like Chinese or Spanish should be taught. At least it will be useful in future like Chinese and Japanese.

Anyway, just felt like writing about this since I had this thought for many days.

Chalo ... enough from me now.
Old February 14th, 2019, 02:49 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How some of our parents generation was real stupid when it came to schools

That's rubbish. It wasn't just sanskrit that was rote and puke, there were a lot of other subjects - history, geography... other factors like internals, practicals...

looks like you were obsessed with Sanskrit, despite what you say, hence you only remember Sanskrit :P

to be fair to your parents, even if you had learnt chinese, mandarin, spanish or whatever, would it have made any difference? I am pretty sure, if I had learnt or started to learn those languages, I would have had the same attitude to them, then the next few years would have forgotten all about them.

Consider also that only a tiny proportion of total students that appeared for SSC in the same year as you did ended up in countries like US where you feel the relevance of Chinese or spanish. The languages would have been dodo-dead time for all others, including those that ended up in countries with a very different language, like Germany in our example.

all in all, nobody knew what the future held, people could only make decisions on what they could see that day that year - which was that good SSC marks (whether by understanding and learning or just by rote and puke) was the key requirement for brighter future.
Old February 14th, 2019, 04:48 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
Thank Heavens, Thank God, my father listened to me and did not push me in to that shit Sanskrit school. I mean, with all due respects, Sanskrit is useless as a language as it has no practical application anywhere.
What did you study instead of Sanskrit then?
Or was it that Sanskrit was an additional subject where you could get 100/100 if you crammed it up.
Old February 14th, 2019, 06:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

I think we can all agree that parents did have our best interests in their mind when they pushed us into a few things we are not very interested in.

I dont want to change anything during school days but college yes; I would do it differently if given a second choice.
Old February 14th, 2019, 12:16 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

To answer some of your questions -

1) In those days, if you were in a English medium convent school, you had English and Hindi and Marathi as mandatory from 2nd standard to 7th standard and from 8th standard you could select either Marathi or French in my school.
I continued with Marathi.

2) Agreed that Spanish and Chinese would be useless at that time. But so was French and German unless you got a job in a foreign company in Europe. My whole thing was that Sanskrit was taught at only a few schools as the third language from 8th onwards. And the SSC board, definitely in cahoots with the culture police gang, had made Sanskrit very lucrative. So if you crammed it, you got 100/100. Not so in Marathi or French. It was clearly unfair, but well.

3) I ranted against some parents because many parents in those times fell for this Sanskrit trap. Just for sake of getting 100/100 in SSC, they forced their kids to change their school. And without realizing that if you wanted to do Science or Commerce in Junior College, then language marks did not count. I had learnt of this and used that as an argument against changing my school for the sake of Sanskrit.

4) Since it is Maharashtra, I felt Marathi was relevant as any non Marathi person studying it would benefit from it in local day to day life. So though I would have loved to learn a foreign language, I decided to continue with my mother tongue Marathi as it would mean no extraordinary efforts to study it to score in exams.

5) Yes our entire school system from those days focussed on cramming every subject, but for Maths you had to understand it to score. I am only pointing out my experiences on how many parents would force a school change for their kids for this Sanskrit trap!

And as I said, these are my personal observations, experiences and opinions. So agree or dont agree... I
Old February 17th, 2019, 05:46 AM
Senior eCharchan

HarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant future

Rote and Puke is not just for Sanskrit. Itís for every subject. I studied Sanskrit all the way to 12th, because it was relatively easy to get more marks. Our Sanskrit teacher was reasonably good looking with good tits. We called her Udderum Madhuram.

I donít think it made any difference to my overall education. There was another subject was EC for electric circuits or some shit like that. That was another subject that was easy peasy. I donít think I got anything from that either. Overall I think Indian education sucks, if you ask me.
Old March 10th, 2019, 11:44 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Sanskrit should be introduced in Indian schools as a required but not necessarily gradable subject from an early age. (Like general knowledge or community living used to be )It would be beneficial if our new generation are not only taught Sanskrit but also introduced to Vedic texts by teachers that understand the texts themselves. If not then whatís the friggin point of learning it as a language anyway, itís not like the children are going to be suddenly communicating in Sanskrit.

Mugging and puking for the sake of grades is a shitty way to address any subject and Sanskrit is no exception.

Indian education system addresses studies and grading from the perspective of mass producing skilled workers for export purposes. IMHO

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Old March 11th, 2019, 03:29 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyg View Post
Maybe Sanskrit should be introduced in Indian schools as a required but not necessarily gradable subject from an early age. (Like general knowledge or community living used to be )It would be beneficial if our new generation are not only taught Sanskrit but also introduced to Vedic texts by teachers that understand the texts themselves. If not then whatís the friggin point of learning it as a language anyway, itís not like the children are going to be suddenly communicating in Sanskrit.

Mugging and puking for the sake of grades is a shitty way to address any subject and Sanskrit is no exception.

Indian education system addresses studies and grading from the perspective of mass producing skilled workers for export purposes. IMHO
aise to majority of learning in schools does not really come into use in our adult life. the purpose of school life is to build foundation on which other things get built on. Learning Sanskrit is same - you learn the language and use it to understand the text if you are so interested or if that is relevant.

No different from English which you learn as a language but use as a medium of communication to understand everything from computer sciences to jabbering no echarcha. You communicate in English because it is relevant for you.... maybe kids in school who have learnt English are working in government offices and use English sparingly.
Old March 11th, 2019, 08:40 AM
Always on target

jeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
aise to majority of learning in schools does not really come into use in our adult life. the purpose of school life is to build foundation on which other things get built on. Learning Sanskrit is same - you learn the language and use it to understand the text if you are so interested or if that is relevant.

No different from English which you learn as a language but use as a medium of communication to understand everything from computer sciences to jabbering no echarcha. You communicate in English because it is relevant for you.... maybe kids in school who have learnt English are working in government offices and use English sparingly.
this also reminds me of a serial of SRK "Kya aap paanchvi paas se tez hain". though I knew around 50 percent of answers it made me realize nearly all of that I learnt was simply junk and not useful in life

jeetIAF
Old March 11th, 2019, 09:03 AM
Senior eCharchan

punkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetiaf View Post
it made me realize nearly all of that I learnt was simply junk and not useful in life

jeetIAF
makes you a well-rounded person, not everything may be useful. Not knowing about solar system may not help in job, but makes one appear foolish in front of others.

Last edited by punkaj; March 11th, 2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old March 11th, 2019, 11:13 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaj View Post
makes you a well-rounded person, not everything may be useful. Knowing about solar system may not help in job, but makes one appear foolish in front of others.
huh, knowing solar system makes one appear foolish in front of others? didnt know that.

did you want to use the word 'avoids' instead of 'makes'?
Old March 11th, 2019, 11:16 AM
Senior eCharchan

punkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond reputepunkaj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
huh, knowing solar system makes one appear foolish in front of others? didnt know that.

did you want to use the word 'avoids' instead of 'makes'?
*Not knowing
Old March 11th, 2019, 11:22 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
*Not knowing
Not Knowing about solar system may not help in job, but makes one appear foolish in front of others. like this??

not knowing about solar system may not help in job.... hmmm ok...
Old March 11th, 2019, 11:45 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Not Knowing about solar system may not help in job, but makes one appear foolish in front of others. like this??

not knowing about solar system may not help in job.... hmmm ok...
Does it? Even geography doesn't help, History-Civics not at all.

Learning Sanskrit actually helps in an indirect manner, although one has to have interest. If you're in it only for the grade, well, any subject can be full of bullshit, or if you're in it only for vocational purposes, then art, music, physical education, nothing helped most of us in our careers. Sanskrit is a syntactic language with deep forms of compounding and patterns, develops your mind to do logical reasoning better. As it is said, monkeys can't appreciate taste of ginger.
Old March 12th, 2019, 03:31 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Does it? Even geography doesn't help, History-Civics not at all.

Learning Sanskrit actually helps in an indirect manner, although one has to have interest. If you're in it only for the grade, well, any subject can be full of bullshit, or if you're in it only for vocational purposes, then art, music, physical education, nothing helped most of us in our careers. Sanskrit is a syntactic language with deep forms of compounding and patterns, develops your mind to do logical reasoning better. As it is said, monkeys can't appreciate taste of ginger.
I couldn't wrap my head around the syntax of that statement (Not Knowing about solar system may not help in job) So it was about that rather than the content - although I could make out what you were trying to say.
Helps my point that learning of subjects/languages earlier in life does help later in life.

btw, I believe Geography, History as well as Civics help quite a lot in life. If people take Civics seriously, a lot of our problems will reduce.