eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old December 18th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Simple Indian Muslim

videsee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nice
POTO: Super Cop Gill goes ballistic

Former Director-General of Punjab police K P S Gill is called Super Cop for reasons. It was under his leadership that terrorism in Punjab was brought under check. No wonder that when terrorists strike the Parliament, journalists make a beeline for the man, who apart from being a terror-buster, is also the President of the Indian Hockey Federation, guiding the team to some recent successes. Sify.com’s New Delhi Bureau Chief E Jayakrishnan talks to the man on his prescriptions for an antidote to terror.

Are you happy with the way the political establishment has responded to the attack on Parliament?

The problem in our country is the lack of a proper attitude to counter terrorism. We have very weak memories and weaker resolve. On the first day, all politicians panned the attack, but because the attack failed and the casualties were relatively low, all the heat has fizzled out and the response is becoming very academic and predictable.

You have fought battles against terrorism in Punjab and the North-East. Is the terror campaign in Kashmir any different?

The main difference, in my opinion, is the infiltration of trained foreign mercenaries into Kashmir and the support to cross-border terrorism given by Pakistan. I think they have identified 18 different nationalities with the foreign terrorists in Kashmir. It's a mind-boggling situation. There are terrorist outfits and mercenaries in Kashmir who are operating from the fringes of sanity. I am of the opinion that other than the mercenary-inspired terrorism, there is no indigenous terrorism in Kashmir. Yes, there are grievances of the people which the state has to address but where is a terrorist movement independent of the support and infiltration of foreign terrorist outfits and Pakistan? If Pakistan says they can easily stop it, but unfortunately they are the ones who are actively encouraging it.

But is the deprived lot the root cause? Can the fight against terrorism make headway until the Kashmiri establishment is seen to be with the people and relieve some of the causes of alienation?

I broadly agree with that proposition. But then if you look at it, terrorists come from all classes. You can see that some of the Kashmiri terrorists come from educated classes and who are not so materially deprived either. I think what motivates them is a very simple mindset. That if they become martyrs for the cause, they would be re-born into an infinitely better world, a jannat (heaven).

The government is increasingly hinting at an across-the-border military option. But with your experience in fighting terrorism in Punjab, is there an internal security option available to curb terrorism in Kashmir?

Internal security option is available to a very large extent. Actually, the situation on the ground is that the security forces in Kashmir are having greater success in taking out terrorists in the last six months than at any time in the past. The number of terrorists killed in Kashmir by security forces has been steadily growing. I believe that if there is no cross-border terrorism, there would have by now no such thing as terrorism in Kashmir. First and foremost, cross border terrorism has to be curbed and completely stopped. For that we need a set of very stringent laws against foreign terrorists. I would not even back away from recommending summary trials and execution for foreign terrorists. This is important because our criminal justice system just does not deliver and is not a deterrent for the terrorists.

So are you saying that we need a tougher law than POTO?

POTO should be made more stringent. If any foreigner commits a terrorist act in India, he has to pay for it dearly and immediately. However, we must strongly distinguish between terrorism of the home-grown variety and what is exported from outside. The foreign mercenaries must meet with a response which acts as a de-motivator.

Are you talking about two sets of rules, one for the foreign terrorist and another for the indigenous variety?

Absolutely.

But, how will the two different sets of law help?

Since the foreign terrorists are outside the pressure of the Kashmiri society and community, they are impervious to their goodwill or their well-being. And, since they are impervious, they have a greater freedom of action. They can kill wantonly as their own allegiance is to masters sitting outside the borders of India. That is why they are infinitely more dangerous, and therefore have to be responded to in like manner.

I think there is a level of confidence among people in the political class, that you often hear demands from the common man that you be drafted into the Kashmir situation and you can do a Punjab there. Is that a fair call on you or the people who are dealing with the situation?

(Laughs) I really don't know. I cannot speak about the situation by sitting here. Unless one has seen the situation in Kashmir from within, one really cannot comment.

What I was getting at was, as you see the situation from here, is there anything that you would have done differently from the way terrorism is being tackled by the power-that-be?

To a certain extent. I cannot specifically spell it out as such. But I can say that broadly, the fight against terror has to be at a broader spectrum than that is taking place now.

Can you specify?

One would be the involvement of the common people of Kashmir in the fight in a big way. That is very much possible. And, that will have immense benefits in the form of cutting the sustenance given to terrorists due to fear or other compulsions. It also gives the people a stake in the fight of the security forces against terrorism. Moreover, I think that we need to hit back at terrorists more severely than we are doing at the moment. We have to cut down on what is a called the active life of a terrorist. Even if a terrorist infiltrates our borders, we have to ensure that his active life within our border is cut so short that it serves a disincentive for the next man waiting at the borders from entering.

http://headlines.sify.com/389news4.html

Mark Twain
Old May 26th, 2017, 07:54 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: POTO: Super Cop Gill goes ballistic

The super cop in no more. I came to know of it minutes after I posted about him on the Assam thread.

http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...-more-4674967/
Old May 28th, 2017, 07:51 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: POTO: Super Cop Gill goes ballistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Gill was famous for police work.. infamous for slapping the butt of a female cop during a party.
He probably was too high after cocktails and the success of operation black thunder. The head was still Riberio at that time. The lady victim was an IAS officer. News wallahs at that time also said that this case was due to IAS IPS rivalry. Apparently while Gill personally managed to come clean in all the encounter cases, he got convicted for this one.

Some of his more famous/infamous episodes include sending cops to Kolkata to bump off a peaceful couple. He also got some journalists from 'statesman' bashed up for some question on IHF. Quite a few sardarjis seemed to rejoice his demise on twitter though a lesser number supported him.