eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old June 8th, 2017, 10:10 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashdoc's movie review---Sachin ; a billion dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
Not as bad as ganguly batted during captaincy. Later when Sachin was made captain again at least he had the decency to himself quit . Ganguly did not do that even when adviced by chappell.
Sachin was removed..

He first took over as skipper in 1996 but by 1997 the team was performing so poorly that he was dropped from the position.

https://www.google.com/amp/indianexp...endulkar/lite/
Old June 8th, 2017, 10:50 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Sachin was removed..

He first took over as skipper in 1996 but by 1997 the team was performing so poorly that he was dropped from the position.

https://www.google.com/amp/indianexp...endulkar/lite/
I am talking about the second time Sachin was made captain. I said 'made captain again ' . Read my original post.
Old June 8th, 2017, 10:58 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

The movie shows that the second time Sachin was made captain, he was not ready for it. Having been removed once he did not want to become captain again. He informed the board not to make him captain. So the board directly declared him captain. He was presented with a 'fait accompli' and had no choice but to accept.
Old June 8th, 2017, 11:41 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

I maintain he is not captain material.. just a great player.
Old June 8th, 2017, 01:57 PM
eCharchan

Bhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant future

Great player yes but not som on who was a reason for Indian economy's boom. May be I just misunderstood or the movie has gone too far in giving him credit.

As to he being good enough that his position in team was not challenged, I think others in his place would have been dropped when performance sagged. So it was that security that boosted him. No doubt about his talent but such security is rare. It is like nowadays batsmen hit fearlessly because they are assured of not many fielders outside the inner circle during powerplays and restrictions on number of bouncers. Take even one of them out and see how many will dare to play lofted shots. Now they can go aerial fearlessly and as good as they are they clear ropes for a six. With the same ability and talent they won't hit so many sixes if the said restrictions are removed because of uncertainty seeded in the minds and not lack of ability or talent. Anyway, we can argue till no end.
Old June 8th, 2017, 05:13 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhidubhai View Post
Great player yes but not som on who was a reason for Indian economy's boom. May be I just misunderstood or the movie has gone too far in giving him credit.

As to he being good enough that his position in team was not challenged, I think others in his place would have been dropped when performance sagged. So it was that security that boosted him. No doubt about his talent but such security is rare. It is like nowadays batsmen hit fearlessly because they are assured of not many fielders outside the inner circle during powerplays and restrictions on number of bouncers. Take even one of them out and see how many will dare to play lofted shots. Now they can go aerial fearlessly and as good as they are they clear ropes for a six. With the same ability and talent they won't hit so many sixes if the said restrictions are removed because of uncertainty seeded in the minds and not lack of ability or talent. Anyway, we can argue till no end.
Don bradman selected only tendulkar for praise and said that Sachin reminded him of himself . On the other hand he had nothing to say about Laxman and dravid and ganguly. These people were not assured of a place in the team because they simply lacked tendulkar's talent.
Old June 8th, 2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Don bradman selected only tendulkar for praise and said that Sachin reminded him of himself . On the other hand he had nothing to say about Laxman and dravid and ganguly. These people were not assured of a place in the team because they simply lacked tendulkar's talent.
So Sachin is your God.. when you making temple? What will be new religion called?
Old June 8th, 2017, 07:22 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
So Sachin is your God.. when you making temple? What will be new religion called?
Not my god . I have some reservations about him , especially the way he kept on remaining in the team even when it was time to retire. But you call him bugger , bloody asshole etc. I answered only because you are unnecessarily abusing him.
Old June 8th, 2017, 07:49 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

I also am a fan of some stars but that is my choice. Like I am a total fan of my favorite band Rush. They are from Canada. I have been a fan of their music since 1982. A short while ago, they released a movie about the band and the trio were themselves in the movie. But I didnt bother because I have seen their shows 3 to 4 times at a minimum and have lapped up all their online videos and interviews. I may see their film someday, but that's me - not a crazy fan who will call them 'God' like some of our people call Sachin.
Old June 8th, 2017, 08:35 PM
eCharchan

Bhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant future

Quote:
True he said that. That was a single sentence that was blown out of proportions by the marketing teams. There were a lot of commercial reasons to always have Tendulkar in the team and also prolong his career. It was not just his talent. He was not Bradmenesque by any measure in the 2000s. I am not denying that he made a place in public psyche and their hearts with his batting in the 90s but that was extrapolated by the marketing teams like Mascerenhas. Nobobdy would risk public wrath by dropping him.

Even Gavaskar had that kind of batting performances for his era. But those were different days when commercial interests were not prioritized over cricket. It is a fallacy to think that Gavaskar was any less talented. He was very much capable of brisk scoring and could play the aerial shots. But those days playing an aerial shot was blasphemous. He was an establishment, copybook cricketer and wanted that image. Even in that era there were mavericks like Viv, Botham, Kapil etc who played aerial shots. SRT played in an era where bowlers have been rendered toothless with limitations on bouncers and also field restrictions and he and others of this era could play aerail shots and have high strike rates. There is no other reason than commercial to make the game batting friendly and SRT benefitted from that. To get a taste of Gavaskar vs. SRT, watch the 1992 world cup match between Ind and WI and you will see how SRT was a maamu against genuine fast bowling of Ambrose. Gavaskar played such pace for hours on end and came out tops.

Like I said earlier Dravid, Laxman and Sehwag won more matches than SRT in Tests. They were not assured a place only because they lacked a Godfather like the KoBra team behind SRT in his early career and public and commerical interests later. SRT's performances beyond 2000s were not as great and he did have many lean periods but still kept his place. Others with similar down phases would have been let go and forgotten.
Old June 8th, 2017, 09:17 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
True he said that. That was a single sentence that was blown out of proportions by the marketing teams. There were a lot of commercial reasons to always have Tendulkar in the team and also prolong his career. It was not just his talent. He was not Bradmenesque by any measure in the 2000s. I am not denying that he made a place in public psyche and their hearts with his batting in the 90s but that was extrapolated by the marketing teams like Mascerenhas. Nobobdy would risk public wrath by dropping him.

Even Gavaskar had that kind of batting performances for his era. But those were different days when commercial interests were not prioritized over cricket. It is a fallacy to think that Gavaskar was any less talented. He was very much capable of brisk scoring and could play the aerial shots. But those days playing an aerial shot was blasphemous. He was an establishment, copybook cricketer and wanted that image. Even in that era there were mavericks like Viv, Botham, Kapil etc who played aerial shots. SRT played in an era where bowlers have been rendered toothless with limitations on bouncers and also field restrictions and he and others of this era could play aerail shots and have high strike rates. There is no other reason than commercial to make the game batting friendly and SRT benefitted from that. To get a taste of Gavaskar vs. SRT, watch the 1992 world cup match between Ind and WI and you will see how SRT was a maamu against genuine fast bowling of Ambrose. Gavaskar played such pace for hours on end and came out tops.

Like I said earlier Dravid, Laxman and Sehwag won more matches than SRT in Tests. They were not assured a place only because they lacked a Godfather like the KoBra team behind SRT in his early career and public and commerical interests later. SRT's performances beyond 2000s were not as great and he did have many lean periods but still kept his place. Others with similar down phases would have been let go and forgotten.
Get your facts straight. KOBRA is short form for koknastha Brahmins and neither vengsarkar nor gavaskar is one . They are saraswat Brahmins not koknastha. Shastri is not even that .

Bradman's single sentence was not blown out of proportion. He actually said that Sachin reminded him of himself and he asked his wife to watch tendulkar onTV and confirm that fact. His wife watched and said that tendulkar played just like the Don. This anecdote was told by bradman himself. Later when Sachin was under fire for being out of form help came from unexpected quarters as bradman again said that it was tendulkar who was still the best among the current lot .

Gavaskar was the same person who has the distinction of playing the slowest innings in one day cricket---36 runs after playing for 60 overs!! ( at that time one day innings lasted for 60 overs ) in spite of playing one day cricket for several years he could manage only one century at the fag end of his career.

As far as dravid Laxman and Sehwag are concerned they can outmatch Sachin only if they are combined together !!

Anyway I am done with this argument. What can one say about a person who considers his own opinion important and makes trivial of Don bradman's remarks. So I am ending my posts on this thread.

Last edited by ashdoc; June 8th, 2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old June 8th, 2017, 09:52 PM
eCharchan

Quote:
Get your facts straight. KOBRA is short form for koknastha Brahmins and neither vengsarkar nor gavaskar is one . They are saraswat Brahmins not koknastha. Shastri is not even that .

Bradman's single sentence was not blown out of proportion. He actually said that Sachin reminded him of himself and he asked his wife to watch tendulkar onTV and confirm that fact. His wife watched and said that tendulkar played just like the Don. This anecdote was told by bradman himself. Later when Sachin was under fire for being out of form help came from unexpected quarters as bradman again said that it was tendulkar who was still the best among the current lot .

Gavaskar was the same person who has the distinction of playing the slowest innings in one day cricket---36 runs after playing for 60 overs!! ( at that time one day innings lasted for 60 overs ) in spite of playing one day cricket for several years he could manage only one century at the fag end of his career.

As far as dravid Laxman and Sehwag are concerned they can outmatch Sachin only if they are combined together !!

Anyway I am done with this argument. What can one say about a person who considers his own opinion important and makes trivial of Don bradman's remarks. So I am ending my posts on this thread.
OK thanks for correcting but KoBras and GSBs are not too different. Anyway you accept that there was a strong lobby behind SRT? KoBRa or GSB doesnt matter.

OK I did not deny that Bradman said it but I think it was blown out of proportion and you dont. Fine. But that didnt make SRT a Bradman.

Gavaskar accepts that innings as the worst of his career. But that one innings doesnt wash out all his achievements. By that same logic I can say that SRT would not succeed against pace like Ambrose based on a couple of 1992 WC inns but I wont say that. Gavaskar played in an era when one day 100s were rare. Haynes used to hold that record after Viv for a long time. To say that he managed only one century is like saying Don has no 100s in one days. Point is different eras and different mindsets. Plus rules and regulations played a major role. You dont say much about that part.

As to Laxman, Dravid and Sehwag, you are entitled to your view but I wont discount their contributions and demean them by saying what you said. Each one of them has won more test matches than SRT. SRT doesnt match even one of them in winning matches for India despite all his records. Look at Laxman's 4th innings record and compare it to SRT. SRT flunked almost always in a chase. Dravid had way too many partnerships that turned matches but whenever he played well there was someone else in the team who did better and he never got the limelight he deserved. He has never tried to hog it anyway. Sehwag is the only Indian batsman to score 2 triples and came close to a third one. No batsman demolished and demoralised bowlers like he did. SRT used to do it in 90s but not after that.

I did not trivialise Don's remarks. I said that was applicable in 90s not after 2k. Also, I dont want to argue when someone thinks SRT is greater than Laxman, Dravid and Sehwag combined. That is plain BS. Sorry cannot accept it. Statistics dont bear out this statement of yours.

SRT was an exceptional batsman in 90s, became commercial minded and lost it in 2000s. That he enjoyed unquestioned support unlike any other cricketer which boosted him is also true. And none of what I am saying makes him any lower nor is my intention to paint him as such. SRT fans take unnecessary offence even at the slightest remark about him.

Last edited by Bhidubhai; June 8th, 2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old June 8th, 2017, 10:11 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Also, I dont want to argue when someone thinks SRT is greater than Laxman, Dravid and Sehwag combined. That is plain BS. Sorry cannot accept it. Statistics dont bear out this statement of yours.
Read my statement properly. I Said that the three can OUTMATCH Sachin if combined .
Old June 8th, 2017, 10:57 PM
eCharchan

Quote:
Read my statement properly. I Said that the three can OUTMATCH Sachin if combined .
Sorry I misread. But I still dont agree with you on the sentence.

But anyway I am a nobody to assertively say anything about Don or SRT. Ghanta main 3 run bhi nahin bhaag sakta abhi. I can only have opinions and highly flawed ones at that

No offence ashdoc bhai. Chalo enjoy your weekend. Watching any movie? Mummy, Raabta? I watched Wonder Woman. Was good timepass. Many stunt moves in the movie were similar to Bahubali
Old June 9th, 2017, 03:22 AM

Rohit has that support now

I call him names because he is not a good person in parliament.. why he took a role if he can't do it? Shamelessly he visits PM for movie but never for cause of Mumbaikars, never raised questions.. he was just used as a pawn. Same as Rekha.. they need to be named and shamed.

Also, he is non controversial because he doesn't take a stand.. toothless tiger he is.. didn't stand up for Kapil when he was falsely accused of match fixing. Actually whole marathi cricket league is selfish and self centered.

This during Champions trophy game against Pak..

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; June 9th, 2017 at 03:26 AM.