eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old June 7th, 2017, 11:45 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Ashdoc's movie review---Sachin ; a billion dreams

I watched this film for old times sake....today my interest in cricket is less , and time is even less for watching the sport . But I used to watch cricket on TV as I was growing up , during my college days and my youth . And for most of those years , the man my country used to ride it's hopes on in the game of cricket was Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar .

So watching the film on Sachin was a trip into the past times . And the film has been appropriately made , for it does evoke nostalgia for the bygone era .

The film begins when my world was young , for I am only a year younger than Sachin . It was his older brother Ajit who noticed the spark of talent in Sachin , and took him to the classes of coach Ramakant Achrekar in Mumbai's iconic cricketer breeding ground---Shivaji park .

The film must have given Sachin the rare chance for coming back to his roots , for today he cannot come to Shivaji park without a horde of security men . But we see Sachin talking about his early days from the very pitch he used to practice from .

The fame came at a very early age due to the record breaking partnership with Vinod Kambli , and one gets to see interviews taken with a very young Sachin still having pimples of a teenager . And from here there was no looking back .

The footage of his first test series against Pakistan is very grainy , for in those days the cameras were of state owned television . But as India liberalised it's economy in the early nineties , the the rights of showing sport were given to private TV channels . And from here on the footage of Sachin is clear and we can watch him and his sporting achievements in their full glory .

The film touches upon the highs and lows of Sachin's career and life . The footage of his matches reminds us of the time we sat in front of our TV sets viewing them . Some matches I had seen but now had forgotten . But the memories of those games were brought to life again . The joy of seeing India winning and the disappointment of seeing it losing . And once again the batting of the master....the flash of the bat and the ball racing to the boundary . The crowd shouting 'Sachin Sachin'...sheer goosebumps....

The film also touches on what we had not seen . It gives Tendulkar's personal perspective on what happened , how he felt about things . Greg Chappel ( the Australian coach of the Indian cricket team in 2007 world cup ) is the one Tendulkar seems to be most critical about . Sachin's rivalry with Azharuddin over captaincy is noted briefly . Sachin's disappointment over his removal from captaincy , and his grief over his father's death are the points where he was really low . Also when he was suffering from tennis elbow . But the lowest point in Indian cricket is something that Sachin claims to have no proof about---the match fixing scandal .

The highs---the amazing batting he did against Australia at Sharjah in 1998 , the march winning effort against Pakistan in the 2003 world cup . Sachin felt joy in other's achievements too , like when Venkatesh Prasad gave a fitting answer to Amir Sohail in the semifinal of the 1996 world cup and Rahul Dravid and V V S Laxman crafted a great partnership to win against Australia . Sachin's personal rival from Australia---leg spinner Shane Warne .

The film shows his personal life , and showcases just how much family is important to an individual's success . And Sachin got co operation from his family in bountiful amounts . His parents , his brother and his relatives stood with him in all times and situations . His wife Anjali gave up her career as doctor for his sake . Unfortunately his childhood friend Vinod Kambli probably did not get such support from his family and did not get such a good upbringing and his career drifted into nothingness , though that is not shown in the film . In fact the film ignores Kambli except in the very early stages , for today Sachin and Kambli are no longer friends .

The one dream of Sachin was to hold the world cup in his hands , but it took a long time to come . That dream was thwarted in 1996 , when India lost the semi final against Sri Lanka . Again it was thwarted in the final in 2003 , a match which Sachin calls the most important of his life . Finally it was achieved in 2011 , when the team took a victory parade with Sachin aloft their shoulders . The footage of all is to be savoured in the film .

Sachin's retirement speech forms an emotional ending to the film . He has now imposed his son Arjun with the ambition of playing cricket . Other than this imposition , Sachin has been a good father to his children . But it is his wife Anjali who is the anchor of his life . The other anchors are his mother , and God---for Sachin is a religious person whose religiosity has been brought out in the film . His personal cricket kit has photos of Sathya Sai baba .

Above all however Sachin claims to be a patriot . The nation's flag makes it's appearance on several occasions in the movie , and Sachin says that he gets goosebumps when listening to the national anthem . 'Vande mataram' makes it's appearance in the film , and the film's best song is 'Hind meri jind' .

Outside sports , what keeps Sachin ticking is friends and music and cars . And all these factors come together to keep the film ticking . Sachin's personal commentary , his wife's views , his friends' talk---all these factors give real insight into his celebrated life . Sachin says that he has lived a great life . And lucky is my generation to have watched him on TV in our life .

Verdict---Good .

Four stars .
Old June 7th, 2017, 12:21 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashdoc's movie review---Sachin ; a billion dreams

I watched it yesterday because I'm huge Sachin fan

I liked the movie. I knew most of the stories they told in the movie, but learned a little as well. Many nostalgic moments, and lots of goosebumps especially when they amplified the "Sachin... Sachin..." cries.

I think Sachin was the first who started wearing the Indian flag on his helmet. I wish they had spent a minute or two on that.

I'm grateful for having YouTube to relieve those memories.

√ Show your signature - hell yeah!

Sent from my iPhone.
Old June 7th, 2017, 03:46 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Sachin wanna make money via movie like Azhar and Dhoni.. bugger has time for movie promotions but no time for rajya sabha.. bloody asshole. To me he is only great cricketer, but waste bugger.
Old June 7th, 2017, 08:03 PM
eCharchan

Bhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant future

What a shitty movie!!

The movie tries to give credit to Indian economy taking off because of Sachin. Gand Chaatne ka limit paar ho gaya movie mein.

There are some things that made Sachin which are not even mentioned in the movie. His earliest support came from Gavaskar and Vengsarkar. But Gavaskar is not given any credit in the movie. Sachin survived the vagaries of Indian selectors because of the Mumbai lobby and solid support he got from the KoBras like Sunny, Vengsrakar, Shastri, etc. Kambli was dispensed off as soon as the opportunity came. Of course, Kambli also did not help himself with his lifestyle. Dravid, Laxman, Ganguly etc. did far more to Indian batting than Sachin just because they always had to prove themselves. If Sachin was under the same pressure that these guys were, then I am not sure if he would have achieved so much.

They talk of a billion people's expectations but dont talk of the support he had from the KoBra and Mumbai gang. I cant remember a time when his place was under threat except during the later stages of his career.

Anyway the movie is useless specially so for someone who has followed his career. Maybe today's generation who were very young or not born when he debuted it makes sense. I though Dhoni movie was far better.

I almost always agree with ashdocs reviews but have to disagree with this one.
Old June 7th, 2017, 08:51 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Come on , everybody gets support of some lobby . Even Yuvraj Singh gets repeated comebacks because of the influence of his backers .

Also Dravid laxman ganguly did not match tendulkar . Laxman was good mostly against only Australia. Ganguly was out of form for a long time in his captaincy which led to the confrontation with greg chappell . Dravid was a good test match player in the sunil gavaskar mold but he was good in playing slow long innings not strokeplay . Unlike sachin he was not special in one day cricket. Sachin was good in both one day and test cricket.

Last edited by ashdoc; June 7th, 2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old June 7th, 2017, 10:45 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

I dont care for movies based on sports stars or anyone.. I mean I wouldnt bother to see a movie about Amitabh Bacchan if it came to that. That is why I never bothered to see Azhar, Dhoni movies and will now not see Sachin also.

Sachin was a good cricketer, played well, great! But I cannot spend 3 hours of my life and money too for seeing movies about Sachin.
Old June 8th, 2017, 01:12 AM
eCharchan

Bhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
Come on , everybody gets support of some lobby . Even Yuvraj Singh gets repeated comebacks because of the influence of his backers .

Also Dravid laxman ganguly did not match tendulkar . Laxman was good mostly against only Australia. Ganguly was out of form for a long time in his captaincy which led to the confrontation with greg chappell . Dravid was a good test match player in the sunil gavaskar mold but he was good in playing slow long innings not strokeplay . Unlike sachin he was not special in one day cricket. Sachin was good in both one day and test cricket.
Nobody was assured his place in the team as SRT was. Not even Sunny and Kapil. And that kind of assurance goes a long way in enhancing performance. When Dravid and others had to constantly worry about their batting position and place in the team, it was bound to affect them. But they still performed better than SRT in tests.

I agree SRT performed better than others during a certain period in late 90s. After that his impact was not as much as Sehwag, Dravid and Laxman. Ganguly turned out to be a great leader unlike SRT who chickened out from captaincy which is alright.

Dravid and Laxman turned India's fortunes in Test cricket. I consider Dravid, Laxman and Sehwag as much better match winners than SRT in tests. Many might disagree.
Old June 8th, 2017, 05:55 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Sachin often flopped in ODIs when chasing a big score.. world cup final against sri lanka was an example.
Old June 8th, 2017, 06:46 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Sachin often flopped in ODIs when chasing a big score.. world cup final against sri lanka was an example.
He was still better than anyone else till virat Kohli came along .
Old June 8th, 2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
He was still better than anyone else till virat Kohli came along .
I think Ganguly and Sehwag had more impactful innings when it was needed.

As I said I respect Sachin but only as a batsman .. even as a captain he was a big failure, like he is in public life.
Old June 8th, 2017, 07:37 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
I think Ganguly and Sehwag had more impactful innings when it was needed.

As I said I respect Sachin but only as a batsman .. even as a captain he was a big failure, like he is in public life.
He was failure as captain because azhar and jadeja were fixing matches during his tenure.
Old June 8th, 2017, 08:04 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhidubhai View Post
Nobody was assured his place in the team as SRT was. Not even Sunny and Kapil. And that kind of assurance goes a long way in enhancing performance. When Dravid and others had to constantly worry about their batting position and place in the team, it was bound to affect them. But they still performed better than SRT in tests.

I agree SRT performed better than others during a certain period in late 90s. After that his impact was not as much as Sehwag, Dravid and Laxman. Ganguly turned out to be a great leader unlike SRT who chickened out from captaincy which is alright.

Dravid and Laxman turned India's fortunes in Test cricket. I consider Dravid, Laxman and Sehwag as much better match winners than SRT in tests. Many might disagree.
Tendulkar's position was assured because he was better than anyone else. Tell me which other Mumbai player's position was assured? No one else.

Tendulkar quit captaincy because azhar was not cooperating. In fact he and jadeja were fixing matches. Tendulkar does not admit any knowledge of match fixing because he does not want to get involved in controversy though.

Ganguly was in horrible form during captaincy and should have quit. Greg chappell adviced him to do so which led to controversy.
Old June 8th, 2017, 08:20 AM
senior echarchan

I have my own personal reservations against tendulkar though. He was capable of more strokeplay but he deliberately slowed down because he wanted to chase records, and that required playing slower and longer innings because strokeplay increased chances of getting out . So records took priority over winning matches .

Also he was too much after money though not like azhar. Not of the match fixing kind .

Last edited by ashdoc; June 8th, 2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old June 8th, 2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
He was failure as captain because azhar and jadeja were fixing matches during his tenure.
no.. bugger went and had a 5 minute chat with bowler after every wide or 4 runs.. He was way too involved.. I recall clearly being frustrated with his captaincy. he's not a leader just like Dravid.. both are excellent team members.. And Sachin's performance took a big time hit during captaincy.
Old June 8th, 2017, 09:22 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
And Sachin's performance took a big time hit during captaincy.
Not as bad as ganguly batted during captaincy. Later when Sachin was made captain again at least he had the decency to himself quit . Ganguly did not do that even when adviced by chappell.