eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old May 9th, 2017, 07:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Question

I am being asked to come and work over the weekend (Saturday and sunday) from 7:00 AM till 7:00 PM) of June. I have some prior commitments and i absolutely cannot make it to work that weekend.

Is there a way to communicate that to the management without sounding unprofessional?

I was thinking in terms of "I am so sorry, I cannot come in to work that weekend. I have commitments that i have made months ago and cannot cancel plans. this is a part of the project that you must go on without me"...

or is there a better way?
Old May 9th, 2017, 07:55 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question

no apologetic emails.. just call in sick
Old May 9th, 2017, 08:23 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Why not talk to HR?
Old May 9th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
no apologetic emails.. just call in sick
i said "professional"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Why not talk to HR?
should I? I am thinking if i should involve HR without first talking to the management.
Old May 9th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute

Just let your management know that you have prior commitments for that weekend -- offer them other options such as -- could the work be performed over any other weekend or by staying late on weekdays? Let them offer you other options as well and if there are no other options then say that you're sorry but that weekend is a no-go for you.

If your management is inconsiderate of work-life balance, then they will probably hold that against you for your annual PR, but it should not affect your job as such. But I hear Kannada is a progressive country and everyone is very accommodating of others, so you should not have a problem
Old May 9th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Just let your management know that you have prior commitments for that weekend -- offer them other options such as -- could the work be performed over any other weekend or by staying late on weekdays? Let them offer you other options as well and if there are no other options then say that you're sorry but that weekend is a no-go for you.

If your management is inconsiderate of work-life balance, then they will probably hold that against you for your annual PR, but it should not affect your job as such. But I hear Kannada is a progressive country and everyone is very accommodating of others, so you should not have a problem
thanks. I will start looking at what can be done before hand. at least 25% of the work i guess can be sorted before.

they are inconsiderate. the senior management is Chinese descent (sorry i didnt mean to bring the race into picture). I am just giving the context how how they expect everyoen to change their personal plans to accommodate the business plans. To an extent i can underatand but sometimes, some things simple cant be rescheduled at a personal front.
Old May 9th, 2017, 09:56 AM
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! I had a Chinese American boss before. I know exactly how you feel! I changed my job because that guy was not going anywhere and he expected everyone reporting to him to work minimum 10 hrs a day with no overtime. It gets to you after a while. I was lucky to get out when I did.
Old May 9th, 2017, 09:59 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
i said "professional"

should I? I am thinking if i should involve HR without first talking to the management.
In case you want to go all out, you could even talk to an attorney. But HR seems to be a good place to start. Given that your managers are so inconsiderate, talking there may not lead anywhere.
Old May 9th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Ha! I had a Chinese American boss before. I know exactly how you feel! I changed my job because that guy was not going anywhere and he expected everyone reporting to him to work minimum 10 hrs a day with no overtime. It gets to you after a while. I was lucky to get out when I did.
i am looking for jobs outside my work place. I feel its so unfair for the kids that their mom is stressed out all the time. Its unfair on me...on everyone.

I updated my profile on Linkedin. lets see.

Quote:
In case you want to go all out, you could even talk to an attorney. But HR seems to be a good place to start. Given that your managers are so inconsiderate, talking there may not lead anywhere.
but will it be a good idea to escalate before talking it over with the mngt?
Old May 9th, 2017, 11:52 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Can you not bear the pain for a bit and look for options inside the organization itself? Sometimes they want you to leave so they make it not workable for you..
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:44 AM

You may have already done that, but are there others who are asked to work on weekends and do not want to. You could coordinate some action with them.
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Can you not bear the pain for a bit and look for options inside the organization itself? Sometimes they want you to leave so they make it not workable for you..
yes, i could. But my reasoning is, if I am changing jobs, why not take a pay rise. usually we dont get pay rise within the firm for same position.
Quote:
You may have already done that, but are there others who are asked to work on weekends and do not want to. You could coordinate some action with them.
i told him today that i had prior commitments and that i cannot be involved in that part of the project. his face went red.
since then he had been giving me a really hard time and its only been few hours
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
yes, i could. But my reasoning is, if I am changing jobs, why not take a pay rise. usually we dont get pay rise within the firm for same position.

i told him today that i had prior commitments and that i cannot be involved in that part of the project. his face went red.
since then he had been giving me a really hard time and its only been few hours
let him do what he wants to. you stay strong.
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely see no reason to take stress in t his matter. Just take the weekend off and have enjoy it completely stress-free. Jo hoyega Monday ko dekha jaayega. Is it weekend already? I am so looking forward to it

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am being asked to come and work over the weekend (Saturday and sunday) from 7:00 AM till 7:00 PM) of June. I have some prior commitments and i absolutely cannot make it to work that weekend.

Is there a way to communicate that to the management without sounding unprofessional?

I was thinking in terms of "I am so sorry, I cannot come in to work that weekend. I have commitments that i have made months ago and cannot cancel plans. this is a part of the project that you must go on without me"...

or is there a better way?
No!

Cancel all your prior commitments and ensure that you can get to work that Saturday and Sunday. I would suggest getting there by 6:45 AM, just so you can get setup ahead of time. I would also suggest packing dinner, just in case it runs longer.