eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old March 11th, 2012, 01:16 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Ashdoc's movie review---Kahani

Calcutta---the city of joy.....made famous , despised and controversially celebrated by novelist Dominique Lappire in the 20th century.....

......And in the 21st century ,Kolkata as its known now has been celebrated again , probably less controversially by this classic film.....

......Because as the film moves , we see more and more viginettes of the city---a city rich in colour and made resplendent by festival ( durga puja ).....

But for a heavily pregnant Vidya Balan , its not a city of joy ; but in fact , its a joyless city.....

For she has arrived from London in search of a missing husband , and has to waddle around in this heavily pregnant state from place to place to see if he is alive.....

It is not difficult to sympathise with this helpless woman who has neither relative nor friend in the city to help her.....

It is precisely this sympathy that is aroused in a young sub-inspector as he decides to help her in her mission......

Its another matter that in typical filmy fashion , it later turns into onesided love..........but that happens in all films anyway......

But what about the missing husband ?? Its a name the Intelligence department wants to erase from memory as it may bring something else to light.....

And Vidya is asked to forget all about it and pack her bags and go home.....

But some more dangerous people want her to forget it too , and Vidya's life is in deadly danger.....

But hell hath no fury like a woman scorned !!---all this only pushes the intrepid Vidya to further explore the mystery......all with the help of the lovelorn subinspector who finds time from his work to be with her in all times and situations.....

And a deadly game of cat and mouse begins.....

......And it continues in the alleys and bylanes of Kolkata , each step making the whole thing more complicated and enigmatic instead of unravelling the mystery while all the time giving us glimpses of the city's life and its zest.....

Thats the hallmark of a true suspense movie anyway---its ability to keep the viewers engaged till the end......

Happily , the movie does that in bountiful amounts , helped on by a powerpacked performance ( once again !! after The Dirty picture ) by Vidya Balan who oozes charm and fizz in every situation......

And the ending is a triumph in itself , for it ends the movie in a bigger bang than one thought---a high note of the bang of justice delivered.....

As the audience walks out of the theater , instead of the usual sniggers and laughter , there is hushed silence---a tribute to the impact of the film ??

Verdict---powerfully super

Last edited by ashdoc; March 11th, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old March 11th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Life is BEAUtiful

sunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashdoc's movie review---Kahani

Vidya Balan is way ahead of the current lot of actresses. The roles she has done so far are bold and her performance has gotten better

Thanks for the review doc....will wait for a good print

Old March 11th, 2012, 06:52 PM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute

We have an old saying in north ... teen tigada kaam bigarra. You won't understand cause you are from South. You from Maharashtra ... part of South India ... noh? ... Yes? Yes it is.

Okay ... serious ... I enjoyed Pappu Cannot dance and Pyar Ka Panchnama. Infact I watched first dance of Pappu more than once ... Sakhiya something. Now ... I want to prove old saying wrong ... if you can help ... recommend a nice light hearted romance comedy. Thanks.
Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old March 11th, 2012, 07:33 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by badriprasad View Post
We have an old saying in north ... teen tigada kaam bigarra. You won't understand cause you are from South. You from Maharashtra ... part of South India ... noh? ... Yes? Yes it is.

Okay ... serious ... I enjoyed Pappu Cannot dance and Pyar Ka Panchnama. Infact I watched first dance of Pappu more than once ... Sakhiya something. Now ... I want to prove old saying wrong ... if you can help ... recommend a nice light hearted romance comedy. Thanks.
i recommend ' ek main aur ek tu '

heres my review--

With this movie producer Karan Johar takes us back to the world he's familiar with ; indeed , the world he's lived in and still lives---the world of high class high brow people whose lives are sheltered by money , who live prim and propiah lives , and for whom things like foreign travel , cutting big deals and attending society parties are day to day affairs .

And into such a family is born hero Imran Khan---our poor little rich boy....

Poor little rich boy's life is utterly controlled by his parents , who decide everything from his haircut to his career choice to the type of daughter-in-law they have in mind to what kind of job he will do in the US of A......

Needless to say , its a stifling existence which needs a breath of fresh air , and it needs it pronto.....!!

And what better than a beautiful girl like Kareena Kapoor to lease some fresh air to a dull existence.....

And what a touch of colour to a colourless life !!---She's a kiristao ( christian ) girl , drinks alcohol till she pukes , has had multiple relationships with men , and the icing on the cake is that she's not a virgin.....

Yippeeeeee !!! Just what the doctor ordered to bring disorder to Imran and his parents over-orderly existence !!!

Yeah , a free spirit whose high spirits and vivacious conversation brings light to our hero's life !!

And as I watched the movie I wished I was in the hero's shoes.....

And when I was in the hero's shoes Kareena married me while she and I were in a drunken stupor.....

.....And next day I woke up to see Kareena Kapoor lying on my bed......

And she took me back to India to meet her her equally free sprited parents......

.......And they were wonderfully understanding about the whole thing---the father even asking whether we were sleeping together ( blush blush ).......

And she took me to her former school and talked about her childhood dreams of being a ballet dancer.....

......And then she took me to the spot where she and her first boyfriend used to kiss in school.....

But when my lips rose to kiss her on that very spot , I was in for a shock !!

But never mind , she had given me the courage to fight my parents and change my life.....

But just after I had changed my life , the lights in the theater came on.....

The movie was over......and I had only been dreaming of romancing Kareena when the actual romancing had been done by the hero Imran......

For me , it was back home to my dull colourless existence.....

But wait !!! There was still this review to be written.....

And while I write this review I will remember every moment of this movie and will relive all the time I dreamt of being with that lovely girl....

In fact , at exactly this moment , I am doing just that......

Verdict---good .
Old March 11th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Love Saneless

Dead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond repute

Naaaaaaah.. Ekk main aur ekk tu is not a good "rom com".. Kareen sure does look good in d movie but d movie is certainly not fun!!

Kahaani was good!! especially d Climax.. dat was the soul of d movie..

How come no reviews of Paan Singh Tomar yet?? It's an aweesoomeeee movie!! Ekdum entertaining! and Irfaan khan is just brilliant in d movie
Old April 30th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Senior eCharchan

razzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond repute

ek mein aur ek tu sucked.. no chemistry between imran and kareena.. lot of cliched crap.. looked like a cheap remake of some angrezi chick flick.. kareena looks like a pale anemic shemale and imran looks like an in closet homo.. wow what an electrifying romance!!

it's available for instant viewing/online on netflix
Old July 17th, 2017, 04:41 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Spoiler alert

Spoiler Alert (if you care)

So, sometime in 2013, this one was on Netflix. Better half was watching it (normally she likes only Gult movies, but this time our neighbor who is from UP/Rajasthan was giving her company). I was on to something else watching in between seeing a pregnant Vidya Balan running from Pillar to post checking on her husband. then i caught the last 5 minutes where we find she was pretending to be pregnant and kills some bad guy.

Cut to 2017, and about a week or 2 back, i was planning to catch up on my dose of nonsense by watching Yamla Pagla Deewana 2. It was showing up in my 'Suggested list'. Selected it and something seemed 'fishy (in more ways than one ). It was showing acknowledgements to Kolkata Police and Mumtaz Begum. And started with some guy killing some guinea pigs and then cutting to the Kolkata Metro. WTF, i said to myself and checked that i had actually selected 'Kahaani'. It did seem interesting. Anyway, i left that and moved on to YPD2. Having finished that previous weekend, now wanted to check on this movie which i had now seen the beginning and end!

So, got on to this movie this weekend on Netflix in between a 'spirited' discussion with Jagguji.

Here are 5 lines on this.
A. There is a Chemical terror attack in Calcutta Metro.
B. Vidya balan is supposedly a Cyber coolie looking for her Husband who is also a cyber coolie who had come on vacation to Calcutta. She has been working with Kolkata Thullas to find out where her husband is.
C. Her Husband's face resembles some one who is working in one 'National Data Centre' Anyone who gets a clue about his identity is shot by a contract killer. The killer then targets Vidya balan too, but she manages to escape and he dies in an accident.
D. Now nawazuddin siddiqui plays 'My name is Khan and i am a big shot with Intelligence Bureau' is also on the look out for this resembling character as the mastermind behind terror attack and uses Vidya Balan.
E. Finally it turns out that Vidya Balan had actually photoshopped her marriage photo with that of the terror mastermind and was using IB and Pandus to find him. Her husband died while trying to prevent the terror attack. On top of it, The mastermind is supported by the chief of IB and the head of national data center.

Now, the movie is well made and it keeps you glued. Also, it showcases the unique charm of Kolkatta. Rotting buildings, bad roads, but you like it if you have been there a few times. I was there when it was Calcutta.

BUTT WTF

The terror mastermind is called Milan. His accomplices are Sridhar and Bhaskaran. And the good guy is called Khan.
And no explanation on what exactly was the motivation behind the terror attack and who sponsored it.
Old July 17th, 2017, 07:38 PM
Senior eCharchan

log1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud of
Re: Spoiler alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post

BUTT WTF

The terror mastermind is called Milan. His accomplices are Sridhar and Bhaskaran. And the good guy is called Khan.

Salim, Jawed, Bhatt and all muslim directors and producers are doing this kind of brain-wash things for decades, in their films,… we never noticed it for decades, until PK… [ Bashing Hindu culture and Promoting nek musal man mullah kaajis ]

Budmaash aadmi jo bug-bhagat/thug-bhagat hoga, woh mandeer ka poojari hi hoga,.. ( all old manoj kumar movies – Poojari hi bewa aurat ki ijjut ko paise se khreedega aur ijjut lootwaayega ) varna, allah ka banda toh, bada nek aur pious, imaandaar mulla kaaji hoga,....aisa dikhaya jaayega,…

e.g. Movies Do jasoos, Be-iimaan, Hera-feri (old ) Swamidada, mein,.... poojari log hi, budmaash dhandha karte hote hai,.......

Lawaris ( Kadar khan ka bada nek musalman role hoga ) aur sholey jaisi film mein ,.. Hungal pakka musalmana hai jo paanch baar ki namaaz nahin chukta,….

aur log, mandeer larkiyaan chhedne jaate hai,.. jaise in Sholey mein , dharmendra Hema ko mandeer ke pichhe se chhedta hai,......

Last edited by log1iszero; July 17th, 2017 at 07:42 PM.