eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Indian Politics

Notices

Indian Politics Our national time-pass!

Old March 1st, 2011, 08:34 AM
Senior eCharchan

chaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond repute
Urban Planning in Mumbai

Not sure if this is the right section. Please feel free to move it elsewhere.

Edward Glaeser, in "How Skyscrapers Can Save the City," points to Mumbai's Floor Space Index (FSI) of 1.33 as one of the factors that prevents development of affordable housing in Mumbai.

Quote:
Mumbai is a city of astonishing human energy and entrepreneurship, from the high reaches of finance and film to the jam-packed spaces of the Dharavi slum. All of this private talent deserves a public sector that performs the core tasks of city governmentólike providing sewers and safe waterówithout overreaching and overregulating. One curse of the developing world is that governments take on too much and fail at their main responsibilities. A country that cannot provide clean water for its citizens should not be in the business of regulating film dialogue.

The public failures in Mumbai are as obvious as the private successes. Western tourists can avoid the open-air defecation in Mumbaiís slums, but they canít avoid the cityís failed transportation network. Driving the 15 miles from the airport to the cityís old downtown, with its landmark Gateway of India arch, can easily take 90 minutes. There is a train that could speed your trip, but few Westerners have the courage to brave its crowds during rush hour. In 2008, more than three people each working day were pushed out of that train to their death. Average commute times in Mumbai are roughly 50 minutes each way, which is about double the average American commute.

The most cost-effective means of opening up overcrowded city streets would be to follow Singapore and charge more for their use. If you give something away free, people will use too much of it. Mumbaiís roads are just too valuable to be clogged up by ox carts at rush hour, and the easiest way to get flexible drivers off the road is to charge them for their use of public space. Congestion charges arenít just for rich cities; they are appropriate anywhere traffic comes to a standstill. After all, Singapore was not wealthy in 1975, when it started charging drivers for using downtown streets. Like Singapore, Mumbai could just require people to buy paper day licenses to drive downtown, and require them to show those licenses in their windows. Politics, however, and not technology, would make this strategy difficult.

Mumbaiís traffic problems reflect not just poor transportation policy, but a deeper and more fundamental failure of urban planning. In 1991, Mumbai fixed a maximum floor-to-area ratio of 1.33 in most of the city, meaning that it restricted the height of the average building to 1.33 stories: if you have an acre of land, you can construct a two-story building on two-thirds of an acre, or a three-story building on four-ninths of an acre, provided you leave the rest of the property empty. In those years, India still had a lingering enthusiasm for regulation, and limiting building heights seemed to offer a way to limit urban growth.

Source: How Skyscrapers Can Save the City

Last edited by chaiwaala; March 1st, 2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:00 AM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Urban Planning in Mumbai

mumbai is an unplanned city.Look at the narrow roads.If an earthquake strikes,imagine how these skyscrapers come down like a house of cards and all these narrow roads get blocked..so forget rescue operations by road.plus..there is no 24 hrs uncondiion power supply.what about the lifts?how are people going to climb 100 floors?
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:05 AM
Always on target

jeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond repute

i have never been to mumbai ever

so looking at town planning, which is better delhi or mumbai??

or both are similar

jeetIAF
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:15 AM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

skyscrapers are built to withstand an earthquake . The problem is that there is no guarantee that such regulations will be in place when building a skyscraper. Already Bombay is seeing an explosion of skyscrapers . Old buildings a torn down and towers are built in that space. There is absolutely no concern about water supply or access to these areas . They are just building it wherever they can find space.

Vashi , Nerul Belapur , those areas when they started developing like 10 years ago, they had planned it well but recently I went there it is no better than any other place in Bombay .

In that sense I actually liked Calcutta . I went there last year and especially the suburb areas are really well planned. I mean that there are already huge highways built even before the residential complexes are built . Very smart and well planned. Once outside the city center there was absolutely no traffic congestion anywhere
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

chaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond reputechaiwaala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetiaf View Post
i have never been to mumbai ever

so looking at town planning, which is better delhi or mumbai??

or both are similar

jeetIAF
I think we should expand the question a bit, and compare which of the following eight towns has the best civic planning:

Delhi, Mumbai, Calcutta, Chennai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Pune, Chandigarh
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:41 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSpeaks View Post
Once outside the city center there was absolutely no traffic congestion anywhere
But of course. Why would it be congested away from the centre of the action? That's no fun though. It's like the American suburbs. I think it's more fun if we have density in and near the city centre. New York City comes to mind where you have all these skyscrapers bang in the middle making it very dense within the city.

Never been to China, but I read somewhere that Shanghai now has more skyscrapers than New York City. I imagine it used to be a sleepy town before Deng chanted his mantra of To get rich is glorious.
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:41 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaiwaala View Post
But of course. Why would it be congested away from the centre of the action? That's no fun though. It's like the American suburbs. I think it's more fun if we have density in and near the city centre. New York City comes to mind where you have all these skyscrapers bang in the middle making it very dense within the city.

Never been to China, but I read somewhere that Shanghai now has more skyscrapers than New York City. I imagine it used to be a sleepy town before Deng chanted his mantra of To get rich is glorious.
In contrast to Mumbai suburbs is where i want to get at .
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:37 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

my home town, Chandigarh (aka City Beautiful) is the best in urban planning.. no doubt about it.

As the first planned city of India, Chandigarh is known internationally for its architecture and urban planning.Chandigarh is home to numerous architectural projects of Le Corbusier, Pierre Jeanneret, Matthew Nowicki, and Albert Mayer.

Just see this picture and you'll know what I'm talking about. Whole city is divided into square sectors.

most addresses end in 2 lines.. example: #1234, Sector 99A, Chandigarh (U.T.) - Pin Code

Some important things I noticed and were told to me by people who love the city as much as I do:
  • The architect/planner made sure that most houses have their main gate with parking not exposed to the main road. This way the traffic enter through roads, hawkers and visitors don't clog the road by parking near.
  • Roundabouts direct the traffic automatically and ensure lesser traffic. Good part of the city operates with smooth traffic without traffic lights.

• Parks and market places inside each sector.
  • Some amazing buildings. Ship shaped Secretariat.

Mohali (Punjab), SAS Nagar, Panchkula, Gurgaon (Haryana) planned and constructed with wide roads and features inspired from Chandigarh's design.

Read more if you got time http://modernindianpolitics.blogspot...handigarh.html

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; March 1st, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:45 PM
Always on target

jeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond repute

Best city in india

but its more expensive than other cities, saala city waale bahut paisewaale hain

even Ludhiana is equally good, not this much planned but good to live in.

even my address in south delhi is equally short but i will never write it

jeetIAF
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:48 PM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetiaf View Post
Best city in india

but its more expensive than other cities, saala city waale bahut paisewaale hain

even Ludhiana is equally good, not this much planned but good to live in.

even my address in south delhi is equally short but i will never write it

jeetIAF
is real estate prices of chandigarh comparable to delhi or mumbai?
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:49 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceSeeker View Post
is real estate prices of chandigarh comparable to delhi or mumbai?
real estate in Chandigarh is through the roof, no idea about Delhi or Mumbai, but there's a catch.. most of it is on a 100 year lease.. you and your generations won't own it forever.. thats why most people buy in Mohali and Panchkula.. twin cities of Chd.
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:40 PM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute

even south mumbai is unplanned..and the suburbs are totally congested.I think navi mumbai is a lot better.the roads are wide and the plots and sectors bear some symmetry.

skyscrapers in mumbai or lets say india can be built to withstand earthquakes only up-to at most 5 richter scale.if you want a to build them stronger,show them the money,so in the end the whole cost effectiveness is not seen in this process.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:00 AM
aam aurat

Parijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond repute

New Delhi is good too with its large DDA parks for each area and the Ring Road in Delhi is very convenient to go around fast from one area to another. Bangalore is largely mushrooming in an unplanned way though Jaynagar area was supposed to be at one time the largest housing layout at one time in Asia. I like Vashi in Mumbai too.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:16 AM
Always on target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parijataka View Post
New Delhi is good too with its large DDA parks for each area and the Ring Road in Delhi is very convenient to go around fast from one area to another. Bangalore is largely mushrooming in an unplanned way though Jaynagar area was supposed to be at one time the largest housing layout at one time in Asia. I like Vashi in Mumbai too.
no one expected Bangalore will be this barely 50 years ago, all limelight was concentrated in Mysore, settlement in Bangalore grew unplanned because of sudden growth of IT industry, everything from peenya to electronic city appears to be sudden development.

anyways, how is metro work is coming up?

but bangalore climate is best in india, nature has blessed the city with that thing

jeetIAF
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:56 AM
Senior eCharchan

rahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parijataka View Post
Thanks for liking my city..... .... Donno how long back you visited Vashi but these days Vashi has become as congested as any other city in Mumbai...... These days Kharghar is the buzz word in Navi Mumbai...... I pity the planners in Mumbai...... Frankly, I see a lot of scope for improvement but it seems that Mumbai planners are interested in very big things and simply dont seem to care about the small things.......

Recently, I was in Pune for two days...... Its is such a contrast from what Pune used to be three years ago, in terms of traffic......!!! God.... The Planners there have really applied their brains and really streamlined the traffic...... These days you'll see hundreds of 'No Right Turn'; 'No Left Turn'; 'No U Turn' sign boards in Pune..... And effective implementation and intelligent use of these 'No Turn' signs have simply reduced the number of crossings and junctions to almost negligible...... The traffic is still slow but flows...... And you never find yourself caught in the middle of an endless jam...... Atleast that's what I observed in my short two day trip...... Without really widening the roads and increasing the infra, they have managed it quite well..... The up-down roads are convered to just Up OR down road....... This way they have simply increased the road throughput without actually building one or expanding one.....!!

Even Parking places are well alloted, unlike in Mumbai where there will be a big mall but no parking....!!! Plus Pune is still green..... quite green compared to anything in Mumbai or Navi Mumbai......

When I visit any part of western Mumbai, I feel that just by levelling the roads, there can be a significant improvement in the traffic situation...... Its such an unfortunate scene that in Mumbai even the roads are not 'correctly levelled'..... The extensive use of pavement stones at so many places has aggravated the situation still further..... I just fail to understand the obsession the planners in Mumbai have for the Pavement stones...... The road must be either concrete or Tar..... the use of Pavement stones in so many places has simply deteriorated patches of road...... And during rush hour, every vehicle has to slow down at these uneven pockets....... Leading to long lines..... one is surprised to see that there was just no cause for the jam except the uneven surface of the road, where every vehicle had to slow down.....!! And these tiny little things just get ignored..... Navi Mumbai has much better roads but I see that even Navi Mumbai planners are now slowing getting infected with the desire of using the Pavement Stones....... Plus one thing, I could never understand, is making a level road such a rocket science....?? Its the basic thing, I can imagine....... No stretch of road in mumbai or Navi Mumbai will be a level surface for more than two kilometers, Max...... You vehicle simply hits a 'turbulence' after every two mins...... Vehicle deteriorates, traffic slows, fuel consumption rises..... Every wrong thing happens..... And still the planners simply turn a blind eye....... Sad.... I seriously think that the traffic situation can improve by atleast 15-20% just by correctly levelling the roads......!!!!!