eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old June 7th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What would you have done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
will we sell them in a world fair? probably not. Did the Pakistani stall mention anything about the dishes being from Pakistan? If so, then it makes sense to make noise about it.... If that is the case, then I would write to the organisers of the fair with a complaint saying food on Pakistani stall was not really from Pakistani cuisine and in show-casing that food as if it is from their country was against the spirit in which the fair was organised. At best Kashmir is still disputed, at worst for Pakistan, they have not right over it.
"Chai from kashmir" "Kashmiri chai"
i did not like that.
Old June 7th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
"Chai from kashmir" "Kashmiri chai"
i did not like that.
There is a portion of Kashmir that has been occupied by Pak for some decades now. Many successive governments of India have not done anything about it besides a lot of hot talk -- similar to what you are doing.

Chalta hai, life goes on.
Old June 7th, 2017, 11:27 AM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

I would have gone to the booth and asked if they had any Baloch Chai

Sent from my iPhone.
Old June 10th, 2017, 05:33 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
No There was only one section for India. They didnt split by states.
Khalistan is not a state. It was a Pakistan inspired movment for a separate Sikh country. It started in 80s and died down in 90s, but thanks to social media, it keeps getting mentioned. There was another thread here which said that Canada's defence minister also is supposedly a Khalistan supporter. Now, i was wondering if some wanted to set up a separate stall.

On another note. Looks like this is an 'occupanational hazard' of being in Canada.

There was an international festival in my kids school when i was in Smelly Pai's gaon. Lot of countries were there including India, but no sign of Pakistan or for that matter Nepal, SL, etc.

In my new Gaon, which is also in Mid west, the 'International Festival' was just an Indian festival. There was just one lady from Latvia, who set up like an east european stall. Many gora teachers were also wearing Indian outfits.
Old June 10th, 2017, 05:34 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
You should have gone and sold Lahori kebabs.
I would actually suggest some Balti food.
Old June 10th, 2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Have you ever had Kashmiri chai? It's nonsense.. it's a salty chai without masala, without cream, no sugar. I wouldn't care about such crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
I had it once. I was trying to be humorous to my host and I told 'namak thoda jyaada hai'. He didn't get it and was explaining how one should be used to it. I can't have it now anyway else my BP will shoot up.

More details later on.
So Here it goes - It was in 90s when i was working in a PSU in Orissa. They had recruited some Kashmiris too hoping to keep them away from Terror this way. There were about 5 from J & K in our batch of 100 or so. 2 were Sardarjis from Kashmir who used to keep flip flopping. 1 was a peaceful guy from Jammu who claimed to support India and that he tried to get into NDA but failed. He also used to talk about CRPF etc going on a killing spree. 2 were peaceful guys from Kashmir valley They used to love supporting Pakistan in cricket matches and that 'Why is India killing its citizens in Kashmir' and so on.

Now, one of these was actually the son of a big shot cop from Srinagar. Apparently none of his friends or acquaintances knew that he was 'working in India'. They were told that he was in Gulf. His dad once visited him, told him that he had a good life and he should continue in his job until he got a state government job back in J & K. He also caught up on some Jawani series movies before heading back.

I was living in a hostel, but couple of friends (southies) moved into an independent house. i used to visit them frequently for 'spiritual company'. On one of these visits, no one was there in their house. So, i knock the neighbor's door who happened to this Kashmiri guy. He welcomes me and once i head in his place i see some 4-5 guys from Kashmir. Me thinks 'So, he is giving a refuge to all these separatists here?'. One of those guys actually read my mind and said "We do business here". I was supposedly of carpets or rugs. Anyway, they offered me this Kashmiri Chai with salt. I finished all of it. It was a different taste, but i am not stuck to one taste (unlike most gults)