eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old February 5th, 2019, 04:43 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Visiting Delhi...advice needed please!

The whole family will be there; read 6 adults and 4 kids. Likes like Maurya is ruled out as getting 4 rooms and paying for lunch/dinner etc will add up quickly in places like these.
I am thinking Air bnb. Any suggestions? Have you stayed in Delhi before? It will be a week long stay.
Old February 5th, 2019, 05:17 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting Delhi...advise needed please!

I went there last summer.
But apna is a bit low end family.
We went for Southern Travels and stayed at Southern hotel in Karol Bagh.
Very low end compared to Maurya.
Those guys organized the bus tour of Delhi and a Golden Triangle tour (meant to be a bus but there were only 6 travellers- So, went in an innova)
Old February 5th, 2019, 05:36 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
I went there last summer.
But apna is a bit low end family.
We went for Southern Travels and stayed at Southern hotel in Karol Bagh.
Very low end compared to Maurya.
Those guys organized the bus tour of Delhi and a Golden Triangle tour (meant to be a bus but there were only 6 travellers- So, went in an innova)
I am also low end sgars...I just mentioned Maurya likes so that its easier to understand that I am not looking for 4 rooms in a 5 or a 7 star hotel for a week. I know how expensive Delhi and Mumbai can get; especially for a big family

I am not looking at hotels at this point; mostly a residential home so that we can all stay together (us, parents and parents-inlaws...though it sounds like a very bad idea but elders are insisting). My parents cannot eat out everyday either; so its best if I look at airbn. I am not sure where to go, what to book. I did look at the websites...I will have to look which would be a good place so its easier to travel and not get stuck in traffic for hours.any idea?
Old February 5th, 2019, 05:41 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Aashika ji, I have not been to delhi so cant help very much. Based on second hand information and experiences of others, please assume that everyone you run into is out to fleece you some way or the other.

I can see quite a few serviced type apartments on booking.com, with reviews. I have used booking.com before and I trust them more than airbnb.
Old February 5th, 2019, 05:52 AM
Senior eCharchan

@K4, thank you, i will check out Booking website.
I sound really bad when I say this, but do you guys carry a lot of cash when you travel around? like 1 lack? Or lesser? I am guessing cash-less wont be possible, even in Delhi. New places scare me all the time.
Old February 5th, 2019, 05:55 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I am also low end sgars...I just mentioned Maurya likes so that its easier to understand that I am not looking for 4 rooms in a 5 or a 7 star hotel for a week. I know how expensive Delhi and Mumbai can get; especially for a big family

I am not looking at hotels at this point; mostly a residential home so that we can all stay together (us, parents and parents-inlaws...though it sounds like a very bad idea but elders are insisting). My parents cannot eat out everyday either; so its best if I look at airbn. I am not sure where to go, what to book. I did look at the websites...I will have to look which would be a good place so its easier to travel and not get stuck in traffic for hours.any idea?
Do you plan to visit only Delhi or others also like Agra and Jaipur.
Old February 5th, 2019, 05:56 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

More often than not, I don't carry any cash or carry very little cash. I use by NRE account to withdraw cash as required and use the debit card that came with the account. I also have a fee free foreign transaction card (Revolut in the UK) which is app based, can be loaded with GBP - the rate of exchange is the master card real time exchange rate. If stolen or lost it can be blocked immediately with the app.

I have never ever carried more than a few thousand except when I was buying an apartment long back. I dont know how much weight will 1 lakh be, if you carry that kind of cash, surely the straps of your bag will break? :P

In India you probably need some cash with you all the time. Depending on what sort of activities are you planning, keep some, but have a card too.
Old February 5th, 2019, 06:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Do you plan to visit only Delhi or others also like Agra and Jaipur.
I would like to do Agra, family would like to do jaipur. it will be one or the other, not both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
More often than not, I don't carry any cash or carry very little cash. I use by NRE account to withdraw cash as required and use the debit card that came with the account. I also have a fee free foreign transaction card (Revolut in the UK) which is app based, can be loaded with GBP - the rate of exchange is the master card real time exchange rate. If stolen or lost it can be blocked immediately with the app.

I have never ever carried more than a few thousand except when I was buying an apartment long back. I dont know how much weight will 1 lakh be, if you carry that kind of cash, surely the straps of your bag will break? :P

In India you probably need some cash with you all the time. Depending on what sort of activities are you planning, keep some, but have a card too.
fair point...last time I had this diaper bag that I would wear on my shoulders...so i guess I cant do the same now. Its a trial and error...I had major issues when my Indian bank's debit card wont work 2 visits ago. So, last time, I withdrew a lot of cash (also lost over 75-80K when 500 rs were taken off the face of earth)...so now, I am not sure what to do.
my Visa is international. so maybe I will just draw 10 k here and there like you suggested.
Old February 5th, 2019, 06:56 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I would like to do Agra, family would like to do jaipur. it will be one or the other, not both.

fair point...last time I had this diaper bag that I would wear on my shoulders...so i guess I cant do the same now. Its a trial and error...I had major issues when my Indian bank's debit card wont work 2 visits ago. So, last time, I withdrew a lot of cash (also lost over 75-80K when 500 rs were taken off the face of earth)...so now, I am not sure what to do.
my Visa is international. so maybe I will just draw 10 k here and there like you suggested.
if yours visa is credit card, then you will end up paying lots of charges. Check with your bank. withdrawing cash from credit card results in FX fees + Daily interest charges.

check this
https://www.greedyrates.ca/blog/trav...n-credit-card/
Old February 5th, 2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
if yours visa is credit card, then you will end up paying lots of charges. Check with your bank. withdrawing cash from credit card results in FX fees + Daily interest charges.

check this
https://www.greedyrates.ca/blog/trav...n-credit-card/
There are actually no forex charges on a Costco Visa card which almost all US desus have.
Old February 5th, 2019, 11:06 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

You must, if you like Mughlai cuisine, visit Bukhara in ITC Maurya, if you haven't already that is. Lifetime best food experience it is.

Taj Mahal is boring, I would go to Jaipur, much more to see around, and more royal stuff to experience.

In India I would choose a decent hotel, don't skimp and lose out on a 5-star treatment in 3 star hotel, compared to US. You get good breakfast on the house.. and idli dosa also for you.
Old February 5th, 2019, 11:29 AM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

Check out https://www.indiamike.com/india and see if you find answers to your questions there.

I don't know much about Delhi except for their free wi-fi, but just general, unsolicited tips:

1. don't carry too much cash, use NRE/NRO accounts and withdraw as needed
2. see if you have any credit cards that do not have Foreign Transaction Fees; not all CCs offer this feature, but many do. If you don't have one, it's worth getting a new card with this feature/benefit.
3. act like a desi when in crowd and avoid using English - though this may not apply to Delhi given that it's a big metro.

Sent from my iPhone.
Old February 5th, 2019, 12:07 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Aashika ji, I have not been to delhi so cant help very much. .
Your comments are irrelevant right after this ........
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old February 5th, 2019, 02:00 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchila View Post
3. act like a desi when in crowd and avoid using English - though this may not apply to Delhi given that it's a big metro.
Using tamil telugu would be worse than English
Old February 5th, 2019, 03:39 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

What is this overpassionate hindutva , Shakti ? Taj Mahal is ravishingly beautiful even though it was built by a muslim . Jaipur is good but it can't equal the Taj .