eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old September 17th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Senior eCharchan

Pratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond repute
Strong Enough To Let go

After my current assignment I applied for a job. I passed the interview with flying colors. Got the job but because they didnt allow me telecommute since the job was 50 miles away from my home and would have taken me 2.5 hours one way commute I had to turn it down with a very very heavy mind!

- good job
- good project
- very good company
- lots of learning
- challenging
but way to far away from my home. I had to put my family my kids before my career. My hubby also travels. Even though my parents were ready to help me out and also my gujju nanny I wouldnt have made the 2.5 hour one way journey everyday.

I had to think through and finally turned down this offer.

For me it was a job. Have you all had to take such decisions? Be it job or any other situation. To let go also requires immense strength.
Old September 17th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strong Enough To Let go

If you commute 5 hours a day just to get to and get back from a job, its not worth it. Unless the salary they pay you is so compelling that you cannot turn it down. But then again, you have your priorities - kids, family. If you are in a financial crunch and the salary is really really great, then you might have to re-prioritize.

Otherwise, nothing to feel bad about.
Old September 17th, 2010, 11:22 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratiksha View Post
To let go also requires immense strength.
It does, right. On the other hand, think about the people who do commute 5-6-7 hrs a day for their work. In Surat we have people who commute Surat-Mumbai-Surat daily !!
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old September 17th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
It does, right. On the other hand, think about the people who do commute 5-6-7 hrs a day for their work. In Surat we have people who commute Surat-Mumbai-Surat daily !!
Pratiksha,

I already mentioned what you have to look for.

raniraja,
I know that sometimes situations are such that even to make a regular living you have to commute so much. But here Pratiksha has a choice. Its not like she is in desperate need for a job. She can get a job nearer to her place.
Old September 17th, 2010, 11:28 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
raniraja,
I know that sometimes situations are such that even to make a regular living you have to commute so much. But here Pratiksha has a choice. Its not like she is in desperate need for a job. She can get a job nearer to her place.
Oops.. obtuse again from me.. my bad.

What I should have written is : "Pratiksha, count your blessings that you have a choice, that you can afford to let go."

Old September 17th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Senior eCharchan

Pratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
If you commute 5 hours a day just to get to and get back from a job, its not worth it. Unless the salary they pay you is so compelling that you cannot turn it down. But then again, you have your priorities - kids, family. If you are in a financial crunch and the salary is really really great, then you might have to re-prioritize.

Otherwise, nothing to feel bad about.
Nah, pay was much lesser than my previous assignment. Only thing project was well funded as it was a big and stable comp, also length of proj would have been 2+ years. But I would have to compromise a lot with my kids.

Anyways, took a decision with my head and heart. But required a lot of strength I can say that.

I am sure some of you might have had greater dilemmas in life than my situation here. If you did please care to share.
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

I travel 2 hours each way daily for 4 days. My job is 30 miles from home but in LA traffic it takes me around 2 hours. I have been doing it for 5 years now.
But I do work remote one day of week. The reason I do it -
It pays well ( Well euff for my mortgage, beer , food and my other personal activities )
Well respected at work
If I do move I need something better than this in money, position and location which is really hard combo to find.
If your priority is job closer to home then you should look for that and if you do interview for another job far then you should tell them in advance you would like to work remote.

The market has opened up. You should be able to find job closer. I know few companies in Brea that are hiring.
What technology yuo work on ?
I can forward information to Sunit and he can correspond to you. U dont need to share u r personal info with me.......
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty View Post
I travel 2 hours each way daily for 4 days. My job is 30 miles from home but in LA traffic it takes me around 2 hours. I have been doing it for 5 years now.
But I do work remote one day of week. The reason I do it -
It pays well ( Well euff for my mortgage, beer , food and my other personal activities )
Well respected at work
If I do move I need something better than this in money, position and location which is really hard combo to find.
If your priority is job closer to home then you should look for that and if you do interview for another job far then you should tell them in advance you would like to work remote.

The market has opened up. You should be able to find job closer. I know few companies in Brea that are hiring.
What technology yuo work on ?
I can forward information to Sunit and he can correspond to you. U dont need to share u r personal info with me.......
Ok I shall PM you the technologies I work on. Thanks Dirty!
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

I travel an hour and a half each way in train (3 hours a day gone in transit). If I take the car out, it would take longer. But yeah, if you have kids at home then 4 hour commute a day is a lot of travel.

Didnt have any major issues with travel but when I was leaving my job to relocate after marriage; I felt sad. I knew I can never get into a place like that again. I loved my work then...but I had to let go. The only inspiration and strength was that I am moving so that i can be with my husband. Same reasoning like you; to be closer to family. I dont regret that decision because I know thats what I have to do.
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Senior eCharchan

Gr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratiksha View Post
50 miles away from my home and would have taken me 2.5 hours one way commute I had to turn it down with a very very heavy mind!
50 miles in 2.5 hrs...wow. Were you planning on biking to the office?

Ek he ulloo kafi hai barbade gulistan kee liya,
Anjamye gulistan kya hoga jab har daal pee ulloo bethe hoon
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

I had many offers in San Francisco, but that means get onto Cal Train and the train commute itself is about an hour one way. Naaah, it was not worth it ... So I stuck to South Bay and in any case the companies in SF are mostly into social networks, online ad networks, etc. Hardly any 'non social hype' companies.
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8_Hindustani View Post
50 miles in 2.5 hrs...wow. Were you planning on biking to the office?
LA traffic is some of the worst traffic in the world.
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:54 PM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

Well.. I work out of home office not much money, but I can wear shorts to office

Old September 17th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
Well.. I work out of home office not much money, but I can wear shorts to office
Why bother U got nothing to show or hide
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old September 17th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty View Post
Why bother U got nothing to show or hide
Badi intimate details hain aapke paas to?