View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Senior eCharchan

Desa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shivaji Statue being erected off the Bombay coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
Let me tell of one desi I happened to know in a office setting. His name was a bit long - Srinivasan. This moron was so much of a gora gaand that he would say call me Steve to his gora colleagues. He could have easily asked them to call him Sri or Srini which is definitely easy to pronounce.

I dont care if they cant say my name. If they cannot say it then bad for them. I wont settle for some gora name!

So unless you feel that its okay that you be called by some other name, then fine let it remain Bombay.
You don't understand. Officially changing the name of the city involves MONEY - a lot of it I may add. In Marathi lingo, I think it was always called Mumbai. In Hindi and Urdu it was always called Bambai. Its not about how it would sound to a Gora or others. I would still say it is a wastage of money if they officially change the name of Vishakapatnam to Vish or Virginia. It is about wastage of public funds. However, if the nation is prosperous and people have basic neccessities of life, then maybe it is Ok to change the name. But still it is wastage because it changes nothing except confusion among people like I had to lookup wikipedia to still confirm if the name Vishakapatnam is still there or is it now changed.

Last edited by Desa; June 8th, 2008 at 12:58 PM.