View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2015, 09:31 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Online petition opposes renaming of Aurangzeb road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
Telling you the truth, Even I didn't like the idea. We always read only Negative about him at lower standards. Those who studies history at post graduate level must understand what I am saying.

If we take out these three points out of his reign, he was the best ruler India ever had.
1.) Suppression of Hindu, Sikh, Shia, Sufi people.
2.) Imprisonment of his father
3.) Killing of his brothers for throne.

Point 2 and 3 can be partially justified attributed to, His father spent too much money on building Tajmahal and he was planning to build another one with black marble on other side of Yamuna river. Royal Treasury already exhausted and he put new taxes on people, it was suicidal for empire. Killing brothers for throne was nothing new, lot of people has done it in past.

But there were many good things about him, which we never read till at-least 10th standard (as I never read them in school) Some points I would like to put (Mind it, there is no question about their authenticity, I would never post something unless I am sure)
1.) He extended boundaries of India far beyond even modern boundaries.
2.) He made India largest Economy in the world, During his time India had 26.5% Share in world economy, Highest ever in History. Presently it's probably 2-3%, even for USA it's less than 20%, So you can understand what 26.5% meant.
3.) He provided a strong central leadership, although East India company came into India in 1612, But they dare not try military expansion till 1750, after reign of Aurangzeb.
4.) He never used a single penny of Royal treasury on himself, he used to stitch skullcaps for living, even during meeting he used to stitch caps while discussing important matters.
5.) He never had sex outside marriage.

His military prowess, administrative abilities, financial as well as territorial expansion of India under his rule speak for themselves. Despite being ruler of richest empire he lived like a simple man, never touched women who were not married to him (which was very common practice among rulers from any religion )

My opinion, what he did in name of religion was wrong and even he realized it later in his life he used these words on this death bed to his loved once "Son of my soul…Now I am going alone. I grieve for your helplessness. But what is the use? I have greatly sinned, and I know not what torment awaits me." His coming generations paid for his sins, and Today there is nothing left of one of the mightiest empire in the world, But his contribution toward India as a country are too great to ignore.
he himself wasted all the royal treasury on a fruitless war against the marathas . according to sir jadunath sarkar who has written a most authoritative history of aurangzeb , his royal treasury was almost empty at the end of his reign because he spent the last 27 years of his life chasing the marathas in the deccan and fighting a hopeless war against an enemy who resorted to guerilla tactics .