View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donald Trump’s ‘no extension to H-1B visa’ proposal may affect thousands of Indian professionals

Everyone back home talks of the big names like TCS, Infosys etc and sing songs about how great they are.

Do you know how these companies operate in the Bay Area? You may not believe but I can tell you with specifics how TCS and Infosys operate.

These two are 'implementation partners' with many big and medium sized companies. This means they are the single or one of the 'consulting' company for these big clients.

Now these implementation partners then go on job sites like dice.com and contact H1B candidates who are working for smaller companies here and also for those 'in limbo' candidates who have a EAD (Employment Authorization Document) card.

Well, so far so good.

The problem is that these big Indian star companies offer rates just like they do to their own slaves! I would not have known these details had I not entertained a 'Hello I am Steve calling' from an Indian call center offering me such an 'opportunity' ... These companies prey on the limbo that the H1B and EAD folks are.

Also these companies 'pioneered' the abuse of non-immigrant visa like the B1/B2 visitor visa for work purposes. They used to get people here for 3 to 4 month 'assignments' on B1 and then pay them a 'per diem' for living here and continue paying them a paltry salary back in India.

In fact these companies pioneered what is called as 'blended rate'. In such an arrangement, there is a team of 3 or 4 people on-site for 3 month intervals and there is a larger team back in India. And blended rate means, they charge almost the same for all members of the team including those on-site. Only the project coordinator is charged for higher than others.

Last edited by echarcha; January 6th, 2018 at 10:25 AM.