View Single Post
Old November 14th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Expedition to disaster--marathas at panipat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
I have mainly relied on these books -----

1) Advanced study in the history of modern india --by punjabi historian J L Mehta.

2) Fall of the mughal empire -volume 2 , by bengali historian Jadunath sarkar

3) panipat 1761-- by marathi historian T S Shejwalkar .

4) panipat ( marathi novel )-- by vishvas patil .

patil has tried to exonerate bhau of his guilt , but i squarely put the blame on bhau , and also upto some extent ,the peshwa ,as they authorised bringing women ,camp followers , and servants along with huge baggage to the zone of battle ,which proved such a major burden on the army ,as a part of it had to be reserved for protecting them ,especially the women's honour ,instead of fighting.

patil says that bhau was dead , so no one was there to defend him ,so the ones who escaped conviniently put the blame on him to escape blame being put on themselves. however i reject this .

5) the battle of panipat -- by british historian elphistone.

6) history of mahrattas - - by british historian grant duff.

this gives a wonderful picture of the magnificience of the maratha army as it set out for panipat . this written , some 65 years after the battle , and grant duff had interviewed an extremely old man who gave an eyewitness account of the army he had actually seen with his own eyes.

7 ) oxford history of india -- by british historian vincent smith.

the numbers of the army ,and numbers killed on both sides , i have taken from here . he has been critisized for giving excessive numbers of maratha casualties by later historians ,but i feel they simply wanted to minimize the magnitude of the catastrophe.
why did u waste your medical seat??you should be a historian