View Single Post
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Senior eCharchan

HarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant future
Post Pushya Nakshatra - Astrology gone haywire!

The new craze in India is to shop for gold jewellery on Pushya Nakshatra divas! Of course, people shop for gold during Karwa Chauth, Dhanteras and Diwali, but Pushya Nakshatra divas is becoming the most popular day to buy gold, especially among Gujjus!!

In 2004, I happened to be in Gujarat (Baroda) on this day and went to shop for jewellery!!! IT WAS PACKED!!! Consider yourself lucky if you could get an agent to listen to you. There is no time to browse or negotiate!! You get about 30 seconds to pick the jewellery item. He marks it for you and you stand in line to make a payment. Thats it!! The store was so busy that they had setup makeshift payment counters. I saw people laying down piles of cash, as crisp bank-packed note budles!! I WAS AMAZED BY THE DISPLAY OF MONEY AT THE STORE!

Then, I went to another popular, multi-storey Jewellery store located at a major intersection. Some big shot had booked the entire top two floors for his private party! If he could get a private showing on Pushya Nakshatra day, I can't imagine the kind of money he might have blown on that day!!

I think this 'festival' is bogus and a myth created by smart businessmen to sell overpriced jewellery to laymen!!