PDA

View Full Version : Indians in Hollywood!

tantric_yogi
January 3rd, 2002, 05:41 PM
Finally I got to watch one of the greatest cinematic beauties :) of all times LAWRENCE OF ARABIA starring Peter O’toole. Pleasant surprise it was to see India’s our own I. S. Johar and to boot with a decent bold billing. Not bad. He got his shining moments.

That got me thinking. Indians have not really done that well in Hollywood, or have they?

Persis :) had a good break in STAR TREAK. Unfortunately all the credit went to perfect shape of her shaved head. Sad, for she had talent and beauty. She did get couple of breaks in semi lead roles but nothing to write home about. Last few years have no idea what she has been up to?

Kabir :) is still around. Just recently he has been busy filming TV episodes of English versions of some Chinese Monkey and Pig story. He had his memorable moments in Italy with Sandokan. That James Bond role did him no good.

Gandhi the movie was an Indian movie by all counts ... Unfortunately it brought credit to its director and UK ... did not do much to recognize talent of 2nd unit directors, or other artists, who I must add did excellent OSCAR worthy job ... I think an Indian lady won an OSCAR for costumes and she deserved it
but rest was a shame from an Indian point of view :( ...

I have been told of certain actor SABU being the first Indian actor to get a lead role in a Hollywood movie, I don’t know much on that and will appreciate something from echarchans.

What is keeping our new batch of sultry and sexy Mumbai girls and handsome, sexy and shaved hijras from doing their magic number in Hollywood?

tantric_yogi
January 3rd, 2002, 05:45 PM
How many of you can recall name of an INDIAN DIRECTOR ...
who just very recently has directed a beauty of a movie
based on life of a British queen? ... SHEKHAR KAPOOR!

BRAVO!

:)

echarcha
January 3rd, 2002, 06:09 PM
M. Night Shyamlan is from Kerala. His whole family are doctors by profession. I thin about 16 closest relatives are all doctors.

His first successful film was the Bruce Willis starrer The Sixth Sense

Then came the Unbreakable which starred Bruce Willis again

Now another one is coming out with mel Gibson called The Signs.

I saw its trailor while watching Vanilla Sky... Looks great!!

Parashuram
January 3rd, 2002, 06:35 PM
http://www.india-today.com/moviemasala/intayesha.html

Young actress Ayesha Dharker is elated. And she has every reason to be. The 23-year-old is going to be starring in the new Star Wars film, probably only the second Indian to feature in a sci-fi potboiler. And even though it's a small role, she says it's a fantasy come true. Natasha Israni caught up with the Terrorist girl just before she flew to London.

Fei
January 3rd, 2002, 07:26 PM
don't forget Vijay Amritraj, the indian tennis player in one of the James Bond movie, i forget which one...

echarcha
January 3rd, 2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Fei
don't forget Vijay Amritraj, the indian tennis player in one of the James Bond movie, i forget which one...

Amritraj brothers have produced many Hollywood films.. I foget the names but one movie I remember is called Sudden Death starring that European martial arts kung fu guy.. Whats his name??? umm.. I forgot... Some Von.. xyz.... He was in Blood Sport also...

January 3rd, 2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Fei

Octopussy!! was it??

echarcha
January 3rd, 2002, 07:45 PM
Octopussy!!

And that star of Sudden Death was John Van Damme...

Parashuram
January 3rd, 2002, 07:55 PM
Unfortunately most of the Anand Amritraj Productions are B-Grade Movies ........Vijay is not involved in Production

tantric_yogi
January 3rd, 2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Parashuram
Unfortunately most of the Anand Amritraj Productions are B-Grade Movies ........Vijay is not involved in Production
So was his talent in Octopussy ...

Speaking of production, bloody how can we ever forget to mention :) ISMAEL MERCHANT and his worthy partnership with James Ivory ... He has produced some memorable movies.
great :up: indian but pakka marwadi :( ...

Is it PADAMSEE:confused: ? This parsi guy originally from Mumbai, handicaped (wheel chair) now living in London ... good writer ... sorry a very good writer. He acted in one of his own movies ... based on own life ... he gets envolved with a boarder who is homosexual ... Is it Padamsee? Help?

laal_langot
January 4th, 2002, 02:57 AM
Even Gulshan Grover...harr saal BBC live east mela pe pohanch jaata hai free ke sandwich aur black tea peenay apni singapuri sherwani pehan ke....he even went to haalywood man...in some jungle book project...he was a tree in the jungle in case you are wondering about the role...

January 4th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by tantric_yogi

Is it PADAMSEE:confused: ? This parsi guy originally from Mumbai, handicaped (wheel chair) now living in London ... good writer ... sorry a very good writer. He acted in one of his own movies ... based on own life ... he gets envolved with a boarder who is homosexual ... Is it Padamsee? Help? R U talking about Firdaus Kanga????

BTW, FYI, Persis khambatta if i remember right is no more.

dirty
January 4th, 2002, 08:50 AM
What about amrish puri. Lead villan in that harrrison ford starrer temple of doom ?
Then there is a guy called jagmohan mundra. he produces all the bn-grade sleazy hollywood movies

RECKER
January 4th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Why U guys forget OM PURI.....

BlrBoy
January 4th, 2002, 09:19 AM
what about Om puri in City of Joy... I think even shabana azmi was in it...

amal
January 6th, 2002, 11:22 PM
what about Shashikapoor....he acted in the householder, matter of innocent, Siddartha...In Sidartha he was with simi garewal.

tantric_yogi
January 7th, 2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by SimpleIndian
R U talking about Firdaus Kanga????
BTW, FYI, Persis khambatta if i remember right is no more. :) SimpleIndian, Yes I meant Firdaus Kanga! Do you remember name of actor playing part of homosexual boarder ? A fine talent though I did really believe he being homosexual in real life too! Wonder if UK still home to Kanga or did he make the move to US? Sorry to hear of death of Persis Khmbatta … a warm and a wonderful person ...

If Padamsee on board echarcha … I do apologies.

Amal ji :) yaar I admit Shashikapoor has acted in some fine British productions but limited to movies geared towards Indian market and never a major international production … His wife had talent and presence in UK theatre scene, talented actor and a well loved person among friends ... unfortunately never received much accolades and neither did she receive husband’s support or encouragement to further advance her carrier … shame … she could have brought International fame to Kapoor clan …

Amirsh Puri and the movie Temple of doom … Sorry bhaYa those of us who watched in horror as he exhibited with contempt and disrespect towards our Goddess Shakti and mantra uchcharans … never mind … this is not the time nor the place …

I have been told of a Bengali superstar of Hindi movies having played a key role in a very recent Hollywood production and done splendid job … I understand he plays parts of Poor man's Robinhood, dark and has this weird or funny hairstyle … May be not weird by Indian movie standards ...

This is fascinating … Indians have made tremendous contributions to Hollywood and British cinema ... to think we haven't even started to scratch the surface yet :) …