PDA

View Full Version : What about a Uniform Civil Code?

echarcha
December 12th, 2000, 01:08 PM
I remember some years ago that the Supreme Court of India directed the Indian government to work on ways to implement a Uniform Civil Code. I maybe wrong, but the net effect was that the Supreme Court gave a broad directive and the Government had to find ways to implement it. The then government was going to throw this question opne for debate across all states. I dont know what happened after that.

If I am not wrong, in USA there is a uniform civil code which is not differentiated on religious or ethnic or racial backgrounds.

Will there be a improvement in the situation if we have a Uniform Civil Code? Or some compromise to bring together a partially uniform code?

smellyfinger
December 12th, 2000, 01:14 PM
Wont happen. First BJP (or other) party will have to get at least a 2/3 majority in the parliament, cause the opposition is always going to oppose. Even if that happens, you will have some idiots burning themselves in public against it. Uproars in parliament will follow, with no work getting done till the proposal for the change is rescinded. The cycle then starts again.

The problem is in the Indian Civil Code, there are special rights for members of certain minorities (sic). Not giving someone a right is easy. Taking away a right, however wrong, is impossible.

So, it wont happen.

Shringarey
December 12th, 2000, 02:20 PM
This is what a uniform civil code means :

i) Sikhs have special rights to carry arms (Kirpan). Either take away that right or give EVERYONE the right to carry arms.

ii) Christians have special rights to drink wine in the church (they represent it as Blood of Jesus). Either take away that right or give everyone the right to drink at anytime - prohibition be dammed.

iii) Muslims have special rights to marry 4 times. Take that away or legalize polygamy.

iv) Jains sadhus have special rights to move naked (Digambers). Either put them in prison or repeal the Public Obsenities Act.

v) Jacobians have special rights to leave the assembly when Jana Gana Mana is playing. Arrest them under National Figures and Icons (Disrespect of) Act, or let everyone insult the National Flag.

vi) Ahmedi Sais have special right to enjoy opiom during the week of Kartiki Poornima. Revoke that right or let everyone enjoy drugs - forget customs and welcome narcotics.

vii) Chatur Nagas have special rights to kill deer. Revoke that right or remove the deer from protected species list.

viii) Hindus have special rights to feed snakes on Naag Panchami without registration. Revoke that right or revoke Domistication of Snakes as Pets (Registration of) Act.

This can go on and on...

We have so many sects, sub sects, each with special provisions. Uniform Civil Code - is it practical - or desirable?

You Decide!!

Shringarey.

Randheer
December 12th, 2000, 11:19 PM
Uniform Civil code should be accepted by everone.it is for people's betterment.So No use of it if people oppose.
If we accept this why not accept the other things which BJP is saying.
Why is BJP then called Communal