PDA

View Full Version : India should have a Social Security type identification number for all citizens

echarcha
April 24th, 2001, 11:04 AM
What do you feel? Should we have a Social Security type of a identity numnber for all citizens?

Former Election Commissioner T.N. Seshan had tried to introduce a Voter ID card which had a unique number on it for each individual. This would have worked great. But at that time Laloo Prasad Yadav was against it in Bihar and he went to the courts. The courts also agreed with him and the scheme was dropped.

I remember getting my voter ID card and I had used it to open a bank account where they usually ask you for a ration card as identity. Infact the whole of Maharasthra State had finished making such cards. Even Goa state had. Infact at that time, I was working with a friend who had supplied software to some of the photo vendors for prinitng such cards. It really was a novel and good scheme.

It would have been so convenient to use that one piece of identity for all things like Income Tax, bank accounts, passport applications, etc.

Well, what do you think? Can we or should we introduce such a scheme.

This scheme would also take care of illegal aliens too!

April 24th, 2001, 11:28 AM
.... you will see fake ID cards selling at street corners soon. You need to have an enforcement organisation with a will to enforce laws. In absense of enforcement, this will just be another burden on Indian taxpayers.

Did someone say "Who pays taxes in India?"

echarcha
April 24th, 2001, 12:07 PM
We should make the passport office issue such cards. That way there will be some authenticity and security. Later on when the citizen wants a passport, he/she can present this card and the rest of the passport process can be curtailed and smoothened out as the initial card issuing process will have taken the necessary steps like verification of identity, etc.

padhu
April 24th, 2001, 01:06 PM
When i was getting my passport done again after my last 10 year renewal, there was a very funny incident that happened. There is supposed to be a police verification and then only the passport is to be given. Well i got my passport first, then i got a call from my local police station to come for verification. I and the guy at the police counter both laughed at this, and he said that its not the first time it has happened. This is the state of our passport office.

dreamer
April 24th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Yes, that would be a right step towards simplifying all the process. Sheshan had taken the right step.... it has to be implemented properly.

padhu
April 24th, 2001, 01:14 PM
If Seshan was right , why was he forced to retire.
If kahirnar was right to destroy illegal structures, why was he fired ?????

soochak
April 25th, 2001, 02:39 AM
a social security number will be the best for us. different departments of govt. ask for different identification from citizens. it is either passport, ration card, telephone bill or something else. a uniform identifier in the form of social security number will be best.

but we need social security schemes first!

Indian
April 25th, 2001, 04:06 AM
great idea ..but

implementation takes ..lot of excercise from the side of government and commitment from political parties.
Actually it is not that difficult to make this thing happen , only obstacle is 'politician' . They will obivously object to this idea , showing various stuppid reasons .

If this Identity Card system is introduced , how can political parties get fake votes during elections ??

I remember last elections ..where i went to polling booth to vote, and poling officer informed me Aap apni vote de chuke hain, aap dubara vote naheen de sakte. he he he :D

no wonder ..laloo had objected for this move.

arun
April 26th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Indias Chief Election Commissioner has sent a message that persons only with Election Commissions Identity card(Better known as Seshan Card) will be able to vote in Assembly elections of five states slated for 10th May, 2001.
Is this not a wecome move?