PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with spam e-mail?

Charchila
June 4th, 2002, 05:14 PM
I found this poll on Wall Street Journal... and sounded very interesting. It'd be great to know how the fellow eCharchans deal with spam... and know any tricks to avoid it.

I've been receiving a lot of spam recently, and all I could do is delete them. Thank god for those check boxes... all can be deleted at once.

I sometimes get personalized emails with my first name in it... and I can't recall whether I really subsribed to receive those emails. I guess my email address was sold to the third party even after they promissed me not to. But I've heard of a scam that will add your email address to their list (and probably sell it to other spammers) when you click on the link to Unsubsribe it... so unless its a known/popular site, be careful before you email them back with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line or click on that link!

This is an easy one... to avoid spam, do not write down your email address at public places (i.e. message boards). There are "robots" or scripts that'll visit many websites just to collect email addresses (that follows the format: name@company.com). But sometimes you have to... in this case, this is what I do: nospam_name@company.com, so if someone wants to contact you... he'll remove "nospam_" from the front (if he/she is smart enough).

baanthok
June 4th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Charchila

This is an easy one... to avoid spam, do not write down your email address at public places (i.e. message boards). There are "robots" or scripts that'll visit many websites just to collect email addresses (that follows the format: name@company.com). But sometimes you have to... in this case, this is what I do: nospam_name@company.com, so if someone wants to contact you... he'll remove "nospam_" from the front (if he/she is smart enough).

as if the robots cannot remove the nospam from an email address :D

Charchila
June 4th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by baanthok

as if the robots cannot remove the nospam from an email address :D

how about... removethis_name@company.com? :D

I think nospam_ works for me... so i use it :) Good question though...

Fei
June 4th, 2002, 07:42 PM
get McAfee Spamkiller

contrarian
June 4th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Report all spam to spamcop.net and use their RBL service.

Also take a look at Vipul's Razor on sourceforge.

aurangjeb
June 4th, 2002, 11:19 PM
I use a rather obnoxious way to deal with this....
I e-mail bomb such addresses who frequently send me spam...
in your free time send spam to spam.....it works:D :D :D

nydood
June 5th, 2002, 07:44 AM
What software do you use for it auranjeb?

Diplomat
June 5th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by aurangjeb
I use a rather obnoxious way to deal with this....
I e-mail bomb such addresses who frequently send me spam...
in your free time send spam to spam.....it works:D :D :D

most of the time, these spam buggers put IP addresses in the header which are fake or belong to someone else..... now ay to get around those.