PDA

View Full Version : How to keep aataa dough soft in the refrigerator for days?

landyaBhai
March 16th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Calling experts here ... Please give me ideas and suggestions that have worked with you ...

Whenever I have prepared the dough for roti/paratha and whenever I have stored these overnight in the refrigerator the aata ends up becoming hard ... anyone having any idea how to preserve the softness of the dough ... I am looking for tried and tested techniques that have worked with you?

Thanks.

Aapka LandYA :up:

love_to_surf
March 16th, 2007, 07:55 PM
:) Landya ..... it is great to know that one bachelor preparing rotis from scratch.

Whenever I prepare rotis I make some extra dough and always keep in refrigerator.

Apply little oil over leftover dough and wrap it in cling wrap...don't leave any gaps...wrap aluminium foil as second wrap. You may use it for 2-3 days. When you remove the dough..microwave it for 10-20 seconds and instantly make rotis.Microwaving and getting to normal temperature is little sensitive work...if you have smaller ball of dough you may need less than 20 seconds. You just need to break the coldness of dough...don't over heat it.

Rotis made on second day turn more softer. Do you need any more details let me know...Also I am just curious.... how do you make dough ?

landyaBhai
March 16th, 2007, 08:18 PM
:) Landya ..... it is great to know that one bachelor preparing rotis from scratch.

Whenever I prepare rotis I make some extra dough and always keep in refrigerator.

Apply little oil over leftover dough and wrap it in cling wrap...don't leave any gaps...wrap aluminium foil as second wrap. You may use it for 2-3 days. When you remove the dough..microwave it for 10-20 seconds and instantly make rotis.Microwaving and getting to normal temperature is little sensitive work...if you have smaller ball of dough you may need less than 20 seconds. You just need to break the coldness of dough...don't over heat it.

Rotis made on second day turn more softer. Do you need any more details let me know...Also I am just curious.... how do you make dough ?

Actually I made alooo parathas ... I will upload the photos soon ... actually I ended up making 12 parathas today and 4 parathas yesterday ... The dough today was kind of harder than yesterday ... Correct me if I am wrong ... The softer dough is for rotis, a medium softer is for parathas, and a little softer is for puris ... So today my paratha-based dough became like the dough for puris ... had to sprinkle some water over it and had to knead it again to make it a little softer ... I wonder what people used to do in olden days when they had no refrigerator and left over dough :confused:

landyaBhai
March 16th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Here are the photos:

landyaBhai
March 16th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I learnt dough making from my father ...

What he does is:

First he puts aataa in the paraath ... and then he sprinkles salt (requisite amount), then he mixes them well, gathers is at the center so that it forms a little mountain, then makes a small valley in the middle, puts water in so that the valley is filled up 3/4ths. With both hands, he accumulates the aaata and then makes fists inside it ... and then kneads it ... any aata that had remained dry is sprinkled water over it and then made to join the dough that is partly done ... within 5 mins the dough should be semi-solid ... Now here is where I take the option of making the dough for roti or for paratha or for puris ... tear apart the dough into smaller pieces and then sprinkle light water (if it is for parathas) or sprinkle twice for rotis (may be more if needed), and for puris if the dough is soft, sprinkle some dry aata over it ... leave it for 5 minutes to marinate ... and then bring together all the pieces and knead it hard into one big dough ...

landyaBhai
March 16th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I have even replaced whey instead of water for kneading and the rotis/puris taste quite different and more crispier than the ones prepared from dough that was knead with water ... All this improvisation I learnt while preparing Prasadam along with ISKCON devotees when I was in my University ...

dirty
March 17th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Abe itne Parathe ? getting ready for Pot Louck ??

dhurandhar
March 17th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Don't you add a little oil in the dough?

My mom (and therefore I ) make that "valley method" for Parathas, but instead add about one table spoon of oil in there instead of water. Thereafter, I knead it and use as much water (sprinkled with hands) as necessary.

Therefore, I don't have any problems with dough getting hard in the refrigerator. The best way to soften the dough is to keep it out of refrigerator about 30 to 45 minutes before you need to use it (assuming the room temperature is about 65F).

As for Love To use Surf tai's comment, you may end up with a portion of the baked dough as she has a very tentative timing posted. She forgets that not all microwaves are the same and therefore time to defrost or warm up varies:D:D

dhurandhar
March 17th, 2007, 07:02 AM

No, that's for his prospective in-laws:D:D

landyaBhai
March 17th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Oh just made it ... was worried more about the dough ending up in the refrigerator for the second day ... so decided against it and finished all the dough and that resulted in 12 beautiful aloo parathas :-)

--LandYA :up:

landyaBhai
March 17th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Don't you add a little oil in the dough?

Dhur, I heard that adding a little bit oil actually hardens the parathas or puris ... it is like making paapdi or something that can be had for days together ... I may be wrong though ;-)

My mom (and therefore I ) make that "valley method" for Parathas, but instead add about one table spoon of oil in there instead of water. Thereafter, I knead it and use as much water (sprinkled with hands) as necessary.

So "Valley Method" I think is the de-facto ISI standard for making doughs ... I think it can be used for rotis as well but then I think the whole process becomes longer as I end up adding water in the later stages to make the dough softer ...

Therefore, I don't have any problems with dough getting hard in the refrigerator. The best way to soften the dough is to keep it out of refrigerator about 30 to 45 minutes before you need to use it (assuming the room temperature is about 65F).

As for Love To use Surf tai's comment, you may end up with a portion of the baked dough as she has a very tentative timing posted. She forgets that not all microwaves are the same and therefore time to defrost or warm up varies:D:D

I have to try that out ... First need to get ClingWrap and Aluminium foil from Walmart and then see if that works .... I dont want to re-knead a dough every other day ...

love_to_surf
March 18th, 2007, 06:32 PM
:) Great job Landya....:up: It is not easy to make stuffed Aloo paratha...you have done them with perfection.

landyaBhai
March 18th, 2007, 07:23 PM
:) Great job Landya....:up: It is not easy to make stuffed Aloo paratha...you have done them with perfection.

LTS Tai, actually they were not that perfect. I have made much better ones but then once one realizes that S/he is perfect, you end up seeing someone who makes like even better than you ... Yes, I had punjabi roomies very recently until I left for the new job and man they made aloo parathas that would put other alooo parathas to shame ... aur kya paar seyy khilatey hai ... that infact adds to the whole taste too ...

Well, with practice I think someday they will gradually become perfect :)

dhurandhar
March 18th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Yes, I had punjabi roomies very recently until I left for the new job and man they made aloo parathas that would put other alooo parathas to shame ... aur kya paar seyy khilatey hai ... that infact adds to the whole taste too ...

Well, with practice I think someday they will gradually become perfect :)

Seedhe Seedhe bata dete ki Jai Pahi ke haath ke Aloo Parathe ka swad hi kuchh aur hai:D:D

soniya
March 19th, 2007, 02:19 AM
pata hai kya karo...

her bar naya aata banao refrigerator mein store karne ki zaroorat hi kya hai:up:

balki aata ka karna ,market se tayar rooti lo:)

dhurandhar
March 19th, 2007, 09:46 AM
pata hai kya karo...

her bar naya aata banao refrigerator mein store karne ki zaroorat hi kya hai:up:

balki aata ka karna ,market se tayar rooti lo:)

Kahin aap Mushu ki beti to nahi? Mushu bole ki Missile bana ke kya faydaa....China se tayar le lo:D:D

sarv_shaktimaan
March 19th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Kahin aap Mushu ki beti to nahi? Mushu bole ki Missile bana ke kya faydaa....China se tayar le lo:D:D
hilarious... :rotfl: :rotfl:

TerminatorJR
March 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Aloo parathe dekh ke mere mooh mein paani aa gayaa Landya. Waah waah. Bahut achche photo hai.

Thats quite an effort man to make them from a scratch. :up:
I should give it a try at least once a month and make some extra and try to freeze them.

landyaBhai
March 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

landyaBhai
March 19th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Aloo parathe dekh ke mere mooh mein paani aa gayaa Landya. Waah waah. Bahut achche photo hai.

Photo toh achhe hai hi par parathe bhi sahi thhey ...

Thats quite an effort man to make them from a scratch. :up:
I should give it a try at least once a month and make some extra and try to freeze them.

I think you are right ... instead of freezing the dough I should try freezing the parathas ... :D