PDA

View Full Version : Today is 'Gatari Amavasya' - Shravan Maas starting on Wednesday

echarcha
July 24th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Today, July 24. 2006 is what we in Maharashtra call 'Gatari Amavasya'.

On Wednesday, the Shravan Maas or Shravan month starts. Shravan is the period before Ganesh Chaturthi (Ganpati festival) in which we do not eat non vegetarian food.

The reason (as far as I know from hearing about it while growing up) is that its the monsoon and many animals are pregnant. So we are not supposed to kill and eat the animals for this entire month.

So Gatari Amavasya is the day when people enjoy with non vegetarian food and alcoholic drinks. Today is the one day in the year, when every bar and pub in Maharashtra will sell record amounts of liqour.

In college, we used to celebrate this day with zest :cheers: :D

28virgo
July 24th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Happy Gataree Everybody :D

echarcha
July 24th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Ha ha ha ha ha :D good job 28virgo!! :cheers:

JaiSpeaks
July 24th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I neva knew we had a festival like that

AmthaLal
July 24th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Ha ha ha ha ha :D good job 28virgo!! :cheers:

I understood lil bit....Especially in RED,

Can you translate plz....the whole thing????;)

TerminatorJR
July 24th, 2006, 11:45 AM
28virgo, ekdum zhakaas photo hai. :up:

The photo reminds me of when I(had just passed out 10th class) went with my uncle who was a contractor to Khed, Maharashtra. One of the villagers invited us for lunch. The lunch consisted freshly made baajri roti and chicken curry with raw onions on the side. Waah Waah. Layi Khaas.

28virgo
July 24th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I understood lil bit....Especially in RED,

Can you translate plz....the whole thing????;)

Yaar Amtha, This is written in proper dehaati marathi language.. This dude is inviting everybody to the rooftop of "Residence Parco de Medici" :D which means the rooftop of his residence in rome, italy... He has used typical colloquial language and humor to invite everybody over to celebrate Gataari Amavasya...

Cooldude
July 24th, 2006, 06:55 PM
We have many absenteeism at work around this day every year.

echarcha
July 25th, 2006, 10:56 AM
To celebrate this event, I went to a desi place last night and had one bottle of Karma beer and prawns masala!

Mmmm.. yummy... The shit I had today morning was really something. I felt as if my ass had been on a fisherman's boat :D

Mr_Play
July 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Who is gonna celebrate it this year?....maine tho full to plan kiya hai :)

sunnykode
July 16th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Nice photo virgo , reminded me of the good old days in INdia:D
Sala it is work time and i am all hungry :)

swami
July 30th, 2011, 01:09 PM
A friend had organised a gatari party on his terrace, had gone there,drinks of all types,chakna veg,non-veg.The party is still on I just skipped out,bewde logo ke beech mei dimaag kharab ho raha tha :D.He had a open mandap type errected on his terrace as its raining non-stop and the atmosphere was pleasant.There was soft music but later on debate on politics and other topics had the music system off.The amavasya is till 11.00 am and seems they will continue till that time,crazy thinking isnt it :D

While comng back saw many people measuring the roads ;) some fighting with rickshaw/taxi drivers.

echarcha
July 30th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Happy Gataree Everybody :D

We lost this attachment. Wish someone can get it.

Napolean
July 30th, 2011, 04:08 PM
How many echans don't eat non-vegetarian food in the month of Shraawan?

echarcha
July 30th, 2011, 05:13 PM
How many echans don't eat non-vegetarian food in the month of Shraawan?

I dont eat non veg only for the days of Ganpati festival.