PDA

View Full Version : Butter...is it vegetarian or non vegetarian?

amal
July 26th, 2004, 08:33 PM
I say butter is non vegetarian because it is made from animal fat.........do u agree with me?

raniraja
July 26th, 2004, 09:26 PM
very interesting point amal,
the same is the debate about all milk products..

amal
July 26th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by raniraja
very interesting point amal,
the same is the debate about all milk products.. so raniraja u r agree with me tht butter and all milk products r non vegetarian thanx.

vyomkeshsaxena
July 26th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by amal
thanx.

what r u upto :confused: :D

tantric_yogi
July 27th, 2004, 12:05 AM
bery intaresting. If milk or butter being scrutiniezzed ...

How about water? Is water veg or non veg?

Afterall glass of water you drank an hour ago did pass through urination system of Tantric Yogi, dog, cat, rat, cow, goat and or even some Paki ... you do realise water we drink is re-processed stuph?

rockandroll
July 27th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Ok so whoever claimed in the last thread being vegetarian and accused people who eat chicken, Those people should make themselves aware about eating milk products

Originally posted by tantric_yogi

Afterall glass of water you drank an hour ago did pass through urination system of Tantric Yogi, dog, cat, rat, cow, goat and or even some Paki ... you do realise water we drink is re-processed stuph?

Desi24
July 27th, 2004, 08:49 AM
I think someone is about to use the loophole that since no one was hurt during the extraction of milk, its okay. I don't buy that since the cow didn't volunteer to give up the milk. She was forced.

GpeL
July 27th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Milk might be non veg.. it could be veg.. I am not going into an argument there. But even if it was non veg, remember the first foode EVERY mamal has (including whale) is milk.. milk from the mother.. so even before you made up your mind weather you are veg or non veg, and even before you learnt how to ask such a question or even spend a second over that issue, you have spent many many second digesting that very stuff and relishing it.. so if you think milk is non veg, then every one of us is a non vegeterian.. if you think it is veg.. then some of us are vegeterians.. (a. la. Landya bhai who says he is a jain).. even buddhism and jainism do not prohibit milk..

By the way, who ever said milk was forcefully taken from a cow.. learn that if the cow is lactating and the milk is not removed, she will be under extreme duress.. the milk has to be pumped out and if no consumers thrown away.

I say milk is an exception.. it is not non veg.. it is not veg.. it is the only food that is compulsory if you are a mammal.

(Ever watched anyone trying weening away a 1 year old from breast feeding? The hungama the one year old puts up is hillarious to see, irritating to the mother, and the kid is relentless)

rockandroll
July 27th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Good Quote from Gpel, so you do talk sensible sometimes.....

Originally posted by GpeL
Milk might be non veg.. it could be veg.. I am not going into an argument there. But even if it was non veg, remember the first foode EVERY mamal has (including whale) is milk.. milk from the mother.. so even before you made up your mind weather you are veg or non veg, and even before you learnt how to ask such a question or even spend a second over that issue, you have spent many many second digesting that very stuff and relishing it.. so if you think milk is non veg, then every one of us is a non vegeterian.. if you think it is veg.. then some of us are vegeterians.. (a. la. Landya bhai who says he is a jain).. even buddhism and jainism do not prohibit milk..

By the way, who ever said milk was forcefully taken from a cow.. learn that if the cow is lactating and the milk is not removed, she will be under extreme duress.. the milk has to be pumped out and if no consumers thrown away.

I say milk is an exception.. it is not non veg.. it is not veg.. it is the only food that is compulsory if you are a mammal.

(Ever watched anyone trying weening away a 1 year old from breast feeding? The hungama the one year old puts up is hillarious to see, irritating to the mother, and the kid is relentless)

Desi24
July 27th, 2004, 10:19 AM
But wouldn't the cow feed her calves with the milk and not be in duress? The only reason she would be in trouble if she is separated from them and then she would require lactacting.

But very good pt. about us drinking milk from birth Gpel. Never thought of it that way.

GpeL
July 27th, 2004, 11:02 AM
From what I was told (by our gwala) an adult cow/goat/buffalo lactates continuously unlike other mamals that stop lactating when the kid stops nursing (for example, humans, dogs and that is why cows are considered for diary farming and not animals that stop lactating a.la dog).. so if there is no calf around to suckle, the cow will be in pain and might get serious illness. Actually our gwalaa told me they do not milk cows that have nursing calf and leave that milk for the calf (atleast in chattisgrah). Also, the calf starts eating grass and stuff right from birth (it has teeth even as a new born unlike humans who get their teeth only after about 9 months and are totally dependant on their parents to feed them)..

I might be wrong, but I am willing to learn.

One of the reasons for hindu prohibiting beef is because we consume cow milk all our lives and hence it is considered equivalent to mother.

Desi24
July 27th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Oh wow.....I didn't know that a cow lactates all the time. If that's the case then its def. not forced.

Thx for the info Gpel!

YedaAnna
July 27th, 2004, 11:35 AM
no a cow does not lactate all the time. you need to milk it regularly so as to keep it lactating. even then after a while it stops giving milk. at that time, the cow has to conceive again.

same is the case with humans. ive seen 6-7 year old kids still breast-fed!

rockandroll
July 27th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Wow, Seems like you have done Ph.D. in cow. Were you a milkman in India?

From what I was told (by our gwala) an adult cow/goat/buffalo lactates continuously unlike other mamals that stop lactating when the kid stops nursing (for example, humans, dogs and that is why cows are considered for diary farming and not animals that stop lactating a.la dog).. so if there is no calf around to suckle, the cow will be in pain and might get serious illness. Actually our gwalaa told me they do not milk cows that have nursing calf and leave that milk for the calf (atleast in chattisgrah). Also, the calf starts eating grass and stuff right from birth (it has teeth even as a new born unlike humans who get their teeth only after about 9 months and are totally dependant on their parents to feed them)..

I might be wrong, but I am willing to learn.

One of the reasons for hindu prohibiting beef is because we consume cow milk all our lives and hence it is considered equivalent to mother.

YedaAnna
July 27th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by rockandroll

by those terms, u gotto be a saleswoman in a cloth store!

desichacha
July 27th, 2004, 11:41 AM

even if he has not done Ph.D. ... looks like you have done Ph.D. in GPEL following.. were you Ghost who walks in your previous life :)

GpeL
July 27th, 2004, 11:50 AM

Sweetie, who told you a person needs a Ph.D to be a milk man.. also whats wrong if I indeed was a milkman in India or for that matter even in USA? Should I be taking offense at that? I see absolutely nothing wrong in being a milkman. :confused:

Oh by the way if you have written that with true genuine awe.. then thanks for the appreciation because I was truely impressed with our milkman. An illiterate, he knew more about his animals than the local veternerian.., he was an expert in martial arts using sticks, spears, sword and even 20 men would not be able to fight him.. he truely was a gifted person. He has over 20 acres of land, about 50 or so cows and buffalos, a nice big house and all well deserved for a honest hard working man (who starts work at 4 am in the morning and ends at 9 PM everyday).

rockandroll
July 27th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Ok in short I was just saying you have too much knowledge about the cows. There is nothing to get offended seems like people have no humor over here.

Sweetie, who told you a person needs a Ph.D to be a milk man.. also whats wrong if I indeed was a milkman in India or for that matter even in USA? Should I be taking offense at that? I see absolutely nothing wrong in being a milkman. :confused:

Oh by the way if you have written that with true genuine awe.. then thanks for the appreciation because I was truely impressed with our milkman. An illiterate, he knew more about his animals than the local veternerian.., he was an expert in martial arts using sticks, spears, sword and even 20 men would not be able to fight him.. he truely was a gifted person. He has over 20 acres of land, about 50 or so cows and buffalos, a nice big house and all well deserved for a honest hard working man (who starts work at 4 am in the morning and ends at 9 PM everyday).

GpeL
July 27th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by YedaAnna
no a cow does not lactate all the time. you need to milk it regularly so as to keep it lactating. even then after a while it stops giving milk. at that time, the cow has to conceive again.

same is the case with humans. ive seen 6-7 year old kids still breast-fed!

May be you are right... In anycase, that was what was told to me by the milkman. He told that to me because I asked him once that are we not "stealing" milk away from the calf?. to that he replied they never milk animals that are nursing their young. Only the ones whose young has stopped drinking milk and eats regular stuff (grass/hay et. al).

GpeL
July 27th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Ok in short I was just saying you have too much knowledge about the cows. There is nothing to get offended seems like people have no humor over here.

No I did not take offense at all.. Infact, your post was oozing sarcasm so much that, I thought you saw something wrong with the profession of a milk man, and/or you somehow think you are much above the level of a milk man.. and hence I asked what was it that you found so wrong about being a milkman.. or what makes you superior to a milk man.

Afterall he too serves a purpose in the society.. or else one would have to raise a cow in one of the bedrooms and milk it everyday for one's morning coffee.. which the society at large can clearly identify with, while what ever you do might not be even that important :rolleyes:

Qn_of_sunshine
July 27th, 2004, 12:20 PM
I used to have a pet cow. :) My grandfather was a farmer. He had a couple of camels, a few cows and a bunch of hens. And peacocks used to visit them in the early morning on the roof. I even picked cotton during my school breaks.

Anyway, I think milk products are vegetarian. Though milk is derived from animals, an animal does not have to be killed to obtain it. Traditionally, the calf gets to have milk first before you can milk the cow. The cow will give you a strong kick if the calf isn't given his turn first. Ofcourse, business wise the milkman will not let the calf nurse too long because he might finish all the milk. Its cruel, but according to spiritual books, its all part of Karma.

YedaAnna
July 27th, 2004, 12:22 PM
anybody tried milking a cow? it's fun but tough too. takes practice.

rockandroll
July 27th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Eeeekkks that's dirty....

YedaAnna
July 27th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Eeeekkks that's dirty....

yeah putting it in ur mouth is divine eh? :mad:

Charchila
July 27th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Abhi dirty pai aa kar sixer marenge :D

rockandroll
July 27th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Thatís different, I don't think its hygienic to do thatÖ.

rockandroll
July 27th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Thatís different, I don't think its hygienic to do drink milk straight.

YedaAnna
July 27th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Thatís different, I don't think its hygienic to do drink milk straight.

ok ok i aint deaf :rolleyes:

Charchila
July 27th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Thatís different, I don't think its hygienic to do thatÖ.

Then, would u milk a cow with a tissue paper? :rolleyes:

Qn_of_sunshine
July 27th, 2004, 12:41 PM

moi!
We used to practice shooting milk to your mouth :D
in the beginning its scary cos the cow can really hurt you with just one kick.

Charchila
July 27th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Qn_of_sunshine
moi!
We used to practice shooting milk to your mouth :D
in the beginning its scary cos the cow can really hurt you with just one kick.

shooting milk in Yeda's mouth? :eek:

YedaAnna
July 27th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Charchila

hatt natkhat:p

landyaBhai
July 27th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Gaaav-waalon,

agar tum log convince ho gaye ho ki milk is vegetarian and butter and cheese is vegetarian, toh humko bhi apni bhaisiyaa ka doodh lene ka mauka miley :D

Yaha vaha kaahe doodh shoot kar rahe hai ... holi ki pickaari samja raha kah ... kaafi waqt hui-gawa gaav-waala doodh piye ... :up:

hamar mulook ki yaad mat dilaaiye humein :cry:

Qn_of_sunshine
July 27th, 2004, 03:25 PM

no silly. I don't even know yeda. You take the cow's milk thing (i forget what its called). You aim it toward's your own mouth or whoever else is playing the game. then squeeze to shoot the milk and see if it will land in the other person's mouth. Its a game.

DesiBaba
July 27th, 2004, 04:19 PM
HEHEHEHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAA :clap:

Charchila
July 27th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Qn_of_sunshine
no silly. I don't even know yeda. You take the cow's milk thing (i forget what its called). You aim it toward's your own mouth or whoever else is playing the game. then squeeze to shoot the milk and see if it will land in the other person's mouth. Its a game.

Oh... my bad.

Sounds like fun :p All I've done is feed roti to a cow, and massaged her neck... :D Lots of cows in Ahmedabad streets :rolleyes:

There were times we hated cows, especially while playing cricket. The guy hits the ball and phew... lands in the fresh gobar. Then fielder takes the ball out, finds a wrapper of paan/masala, and cleans it up :D

Sometimes the gobar was used to our advantage, especially during Diwali. Put a 555 bomb in the gobar near Patlani's house and baaam... repaint the wall ;)

vyomkeshsaxena
July 14th, 2008, 08:57 AM
You take the cow's milk thing (i forget what its called).

universally amongst mammals itz called 'nipples'..........

vyomkeshsaxena
July 14th, 2008, 08:58 AM
, especially during Diwali. Put a 555 bomb in the gobar near Patlani's house and baaam... repaint the wall ;)

aah i used luv this 555 bomb...much powerful then king-kong....but itz outta production now...:(

echarcha
July 14th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Quick points I observed:
1) What happens to the milk in a cow, if it is not milked out for consumption. Assume that the cow no longer has calves to feed, then what happens if the cow is not milked?

2) If we are to not use animal products, then isn't milk non-vegetarian as it comes from a cow or buffalo? Even butter is made from fat in the cow milk, then is it not non-vegetarian?

landyaBhai
July 14th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Quick points I observed:
1) What happens to the milk in a cow, if it is not milked out for consumption. Assume that the cow no longer has calves to feed, then what happens if the cow is not milked?

no idea what would happen

2) If we are to not use animal products, then isn't milk non-vegetarian as it comes from a cow or buffalo? Even butter is made from fat in the cow milk, then is it not non-vegetarian?

I will give a new twist to this story:

1. what if the cow dies in the process of milking, would the milk be non-vegetarian?

2. What if it survives the ordeal, then would the milk become vegetarian?

Milk is milk ... it does not change ... infact even the milk does not know whether it is being called by the word "milk" ... heck all the organic molecules (if the milk goes for atomic fission) are the same as you could find in any fruit, plant, stone, dead skin etc. ... Now tell me whether the milk is vegetarian or not :D

message too shorty ...

landyaBhai
July 14th, 2008, 02:02 PM
universally amongst mammals itz called 'nipples'..........
:clap: :clap: :clap: :rotfl: :rotfl:

sgars
July 15th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Milk can be comsumed by vegetarians. it is avoided by those who are Vegans.

The idea of Plant and Animal is more from west. In Bharat, it is Violence and Non violence (or Fatal Violence if i put it). A cow or a buffalo is not killed while milking. That is Jains comsume milk and milk products but avoid Onions and probably other root vegetables (guess plants are killed)

many aming Hindus consider Milk as satwik food and Onions and spicy things as 'Rajasic' (which interfere seeker's concentration for self realization).

That is for principles - in Reality, even veg food involves kiling of pests and others. Milch cattle nowadays are fed with drugs to make them produce more milk. So, hardly any food is free of violence. that is why Guru Nanak's saying rings a bell
"Only fools argue whether to eat meat or not. They don't understand truth nor do they meditate on it. Who can define what is meat and what is plant? Who knows where the sin lies, being a vegetarian or a non- vegetarian?"

landyaBhai
July 15th, 2008, 07:54 AM
that is why Guru Nanak's saying rings a bell
"Only fools argue whether to eat meat or not. They don't understand truth nor do they meditate on it. Who can define what is meat and what is plant? Who knows where the sin lies, being a vegetarian or a non- vegetarian?"

repped ya ...

kishorergp
September 28th, 2010, 12:41 AM

The question here is about butter yaar.It is non-veg.very simple.You can start a new thread about water.OK.

JaiSpeaks
September 28th, 2010, 12:44 AM
The question here is about butter yaar.It is non-veg.very simple.You can start a new thread about water.OK.

when you talk about non-veg , it means just flesh . So even egg is not considered non-veg since it is not flesh ...

kishorergp
September 28th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Milk can be comsumed by vegetarians. it is avoided by those who are Vegans.

The idea of Plant and Animal is more from west. In Bharat, it is Violence and Non violence (or Fatal Violence if i put it). A cow or a buffalo is not killed while milking. That is Jains comsume milk and milk products but avoid Onions and probably other root vegetables (guess plants are killed)

many aming Hindus consider Milk as satwik food and Onions and spicy things as 'Rajasic' (which interfere seeker's concentration for self realization).

That is for principles - in Reality, even veg food involves kiling of pests and others. Milch cattle nowadays are fed with drugs to make them produce more milk. So, hardly any food is free of violence. that is why Guru Nanak's saying rings a bell
OK a cow is not killed during milking.But it is against her will dear.And clearly we can define it as non=veg.

dollyg
September 28th, 2010, 10:26 AM
OK a cow is not killed during milking.But it is against her will dear.And clearly we can define it as non=veg.

We should all just eat water and drink air dear...thats the safest way to stay vegetarian/vegan ....:up:

Sane Less
September 28th, 2010, 10:47 AM
We should all just eat water and drink air dear...thats the safest way to stay vegetarian/vegan ....:up:
No... any meat or vegetable that is generated without any pain to the animal/plant is vegetarian. Make an animal unconscious and then eat away... only make sure that the animal does not gain consciousness while you are eating... as that will cause utmost pain to the animal.

razzrhino
September 28th, 2010, 11:01 AM
No... any meat or vegetable that is generated without any pain to the animal/plant is vegetarian. Make an animal unconscious and then eat away... only make sure that the animal does not gain consciousness while you are eating... as that will cause utmost pain to the animal.

u must be member aaf inter-neshanal sosaytee faar animal kaanshyasness

Sane Less
September 28th, 2010, 11:17 AM
u must be member aaf inter-neshanal sosaytee faar animal kaanshyasness
in other words, Isfac:D

In fact, I am thinking of starting a new food-eating category, small animal meat eaters (SAME)... as it is hard to kill large animals with minimum pain. And also most of the large animals are endangered and we need to preserve them. Any animal that can be killed with a jhatka... and takes seconds to die... can be eaten.

echarcha
September 28th, 2010, 01:10 PM

You nailed it - Drink water, and that too direct rain water so that you dont happen to injest any microbes or bacteria which might be in the water when its stored in tanks. Also breathe air alone, that too direct :p and not airconditioned because to power the airconditioner it takes energy from fossil fuels (most likely) to generate the electricity.Or if its hydel power then again you are using water stored in reservoirs which definitely add bacteria, etc. to it.

So yes krishna ji, just breathe fresh clean air, drink rain water and you will be a pure vegetarian.

You may eat vegetables and plants but only dried up and dead ones because even plants are supposed to have a life and eating them is like killing them.

So there you go, a simple way to remain completely vegetarian.

Also for more details, you should look up www.peta.org.

sgars
May 24th, 2017, 05:50 PM
Question here. Is butter in Umrika sweetened compared to Amul butter?

sarv_shaktimaan
May 24th, 2017, 06:16 PM
Is it even real butter? :dontknow: Anyway, I have butter only with paratha so I buy Amul which has flavor.

Aashika
May 25th, 2017, 09:45 AM

good question. will let you know tomorrow.

sgars
June 17th, 2017, 02:28 PM

you must be busy fighting for your right to a work free weekend, but since you liked the question, hopefully you could have an answer too whenever your boss stops breathing down your neck.

Aashika
June 19th, 2017, 05:56 AM
you must be busy fighting for your right to a work free weekend, but since you liked the question, hopefully you could have an answer too whenever your boss stops breathing down your neck.

I think its vegetarian. Istnt butter made from the cream of the milk? If milk is vegetarian, so should be butter.

By the way, when my mom used to make butter from the scratch (using fresh cream) the butter used to be white in color. why is the store bought butter light yellow color?

sgars
June 19th, 2017, 05:09 PM
^^
My question was different.

Aashika
June 20th, 2017, 05:10 AM
^^
My question was different.

no its not sweetened. I use Neilson and I dont find it sweetened.

Bhidubhai
June 21st, 2017, 03:58 AM
I think its vegetarian. Istnt butter made from the cream of the milk? If milk is vegetarian, so should be butter.

By the way, when my mom used to make butter from the scratch (using fresh cream) the butter used to be white in color. why is the store bought butter light yellow color?

White color - made from Bhains ka doodh
Yellowish - made form Gaay ka doodh

Aashika
June 21st, 2017, 06:15 AM
White color - made from Bhains ka doodh
Yellowish - made form Gaay ka doodh
really?!! I did not know this. Amul butter has a buffalo on it but the butter is yellow
:dontknow:

Bhidubhai
June 21st, 2017, 09:20 PM
really?!! I did not know this. Amul butter has a buffalo on it but the butter is yellow

I gave the response based on what I have seen. At my parents home they use bhains ka doodh and the butter at their place is white and tastes a little different. Also ghee made from that butter is different in taste and look.

At my place we get cow's milk and the butter is yellowish and ghee also same.

But I googled it and found that content of Beta Carotene in the butter decides its color mainly. The higher the content, the more yellow the butter. The content % depends on the feed and maybe processing too. Read this thread below

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-white-and-yellow-butter

sarv_shaktimaan
June 22nd, 2017, 04:28 AM

What? For real? I thought everyone knew this.. may be you never had cow milk.

Aashika
June 22nd, 2017, 06:06 AM
What? For real? I thought everyone knew this.. may be you never had cow milk.

I honestly didnt think about where i got the milk from when i was young. I mean, the milk man used to come and gave it to us. I never asked where it came from.

sarv_shaktimaan
June 22nd, 2017, 08:23 AM
I honestly didnt think about where i got the milk from when i was young. I mean, the milk man used to come and gave it to us. I never asked where it came from.
Actually most of the milk sold in Indian cities, packaged or loose, is buffalo milk.

Cow milk has to be purchased specifically by asking for it, some businesses have come up off late in India which provide pure cow milk, it's expensive but worth it.

rationalthinker
June 22nd, 2017, 10:58 PM
No one, not even Go-mata is a 'vegetarian' from the gullet downwards!
The chemical (digestive juices) and mechanical(abrasian, esp. amongst grass eaters) damage removes cells lining the alimentary canal--- which gets digested in the stomach! :D

Aashika
June 23rd, 2017, 05:56 AM
Actually most of the milk sold in Indian cities, packaged or loose, is buffalo milk.

Cow milk has to be purchased specifically by asking for it, some businesses have come up off late in India which provide pure cow milk, it's expensive but worth it.

why? is it more nutritious?

sarv_shaktimaan
June 23rd, 2017, 06:37 PM
why? is it more nutritious?
Cow milk is lower in fat, is lighter so easier to digest. More minerals too i believe.

sgars
June 24th, 2017, 05:49 AM
I remember cow milk coming in 250 ml bottles ages back. I had it once from college hustle canteen. But it was unsweetened, so had a tough time finishing it.

Most of the milk from Doodh walas is from buffalo. I remember trying cow ghee sometime back. It does not add taste like buffalo ghee. It is meant to be used for Poojas.