PDA

View Full Version : Need a PHP poll/attendance script

echarcha
April 15th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Hi,

We have a small cricket team here and we coordinate who is coming and who is not via a yahoogroup.

However, yahoogroups is very slow and hence we dont wish to use the inbuilt poll there.

So I thought I can host a small application on the website where my team can log in and vote if they are available for a cricket match.

I can write it but dont have the time. Is anything readymade available?

YedaAnna
April 15th, 2004, 11:12 AM
goto sparklit.com

Charchila
April 15th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Is this supposed to be "Available vs. Unavailable" poll or

echacha - Available
charchila - unavailable
yeda - available

type script?

What's wrong with emails... email the captain or selection committee or everyone - however you guys decide and publish the playing eleven like 2-3 days ahead of the game.

echarcha
April 15th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Charchila
Is this supposed to be "Available vs. Unavailable" poll or

echacha - Available
charchila - unavailable
yeda - available

type script?

What's wrong with emails... email the captain or selection committee or everyone - however you guys decide and publish the playing eleven like 2-3 days ahead of the game.

Basically what happens is that some folks cannot make it for a match, so they have to say UNAVAILABLE. Those who can have to say AVAILABLE.

So the second solution you propose is what I am looking for.

My survey/poll/attendance page would be like a list of names with three radio buttons against each name
1) Available
2) Unavailable
3) Will confirm by Friday

So team members will come and select one radio button and click Submit.

The results will be shown below in a table

AVAILABLE
--------------
echarcha
Charchila
etc..
etc..

UNAVAILABLE
---------------------

WILL CONFIRM LATER
----------------------------

echarcha
April 15th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by YedaAnna
goto sparklit.com

Thanks.. but I need a simpler and *FREE* solution.

Charchila
April 15th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Ah that's pretty high tech poll... I'd like to have one like that ;)

I've used SimPoll found at hotscripts.com (http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Polls_and_Voting/index.html). It's a great poll script with admin interface... but only offers regular radio-button polls as far as I know. But you could create an external form next to it that lets them enter their names and organize it in a tabular format. You'd have to hack the poll script a little to associate their choice with the name.

The concerns are though... what if someone votes for someone else to mess with you guys? What if someone changes his mind and wants to change his availability status?

I don't remember the features of the administration area of SimPoll, but you might find it useful such as poll opens on XYZ date, ends on XYZ date so nobody can vote after Friday midnight. How many times they can vote (in case they change their mind...), etc.

YedaAnna
April 15th, 2004, 02:11 PM
well sparklit polls are pretty simple to add. ur data resides on their servers. anyways yahoogroups would be the best choice. i dont find any problems with the speed of yahoo as such.