PDA

View Full Version : Bird Flu in ASIA - a recurring epidemic

echarcha
January 29th, 2004, 02:36 PM
When I was on my way to USA for the first time, I remember that there was a bird flu in Asia and the travel agent advised that I do not eat any chicken on the flight.

Some days ago it was SARS and now this bird flu has resurfaced. Bird flu has been raising its ugly head time and again on a regular basis.

What is it that causes such a flu in Asia? Unhygienic conditions? Or do they feed the chicken the remains of slaughtered chicken - like in mad cow disease??

vakil sahib
January 29th, 2004, 02:44 PM
it seems that this is a viral disease spread by contact between birds- probably ducks. that it has spread to humans is worrying the medical community a great deal. the greatest worry is that these viruses mutate all the time so some time in the future it may create a bug that will kill humans faster by spreading quickly from person to person.

desichacha
February 2nd, 2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by vakil sahib
the greatest worry is that these viruses mutate all the time so some time in the future it may create a bug that will kill humans faster by spreading quickly from person to person.

kalyug aa gaya hai

qayamat ka din pas main hai...

bawa jaldi se kuch karo

tantric_yogi
February 9th, 2004, 07:46 AM
I thought one is really at extreme risk if or when exposed to the feces or bodily fluids of the infected birds ... one is safe unless of course one is making out with chickens. j/k.

Bird flu or no bird flu ... one should always stay away from undercooked or uncooked meat and even unwashed vegies. :down: In particular I will avoid (to the cost of starvation) fried chicken served by a world famous multinational fast food outlet ... for on several occasions I have seen them serving fried chicken with red blood oozing out from inside.

echarcha
February 19th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Has this flu gone away or under control yet??

vakil sahib
February 19th, 2004, 02:19 PM
cannot be bothered to find the link now. i think i read it in the london times yesterday that the flu has crossed the species barrier yet again and has infected a tiger in a zoo in thailand and also some other animals.

whilst it is as yet not rife it is still giving cause for grave concern.

vakil sahib
February 20th, 2004, 12:33 AM
it's now beginning to affect domestic cats too

link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3505339.stm)