PDA

View Full Version : Linux, threatened


echarcha
September 22nd, 2003, 10:00 AM
Check this out.

http://us.rediff.com/news/2003/sep/12rajeev.htm

Parashuram
September 22nd, 2003, 10:03 AM
A lot of third world and european defense establishments are either using linux or evaluating it since there are fears that MS might have backdoors in their software

echarcha
September 22nd, 2003, 10:18 AM
and I think I had posted here too that MS had offered 90% of source code to governments to review. The remaining 10% of the code would be shown to the interested parties within MS premises. This would assure the govts. that no 'backdoors' were being left open.

Parashuram
September 22nd, 2003, 10:34 AM
Open Source on Rise in Government
By Peter Galli
July 10, 2003



PORTLAND—The use of open-source software is alive and well and growing among government agencies, including the U.S. Census Bureau.

In an address at the O'Reilly Open Source Convention (Oscon) here on Thursday titled "Open Source in Government," Lisa Wolfisch Nyman, a senior Internet technology architect at the Bureau, said the issue of open source and government was first raised at Oscon in 1999, where many public sector employees said they were forbidden from using open source.

ADVERTISEMENT



But things have changed substantially over the past four years, she said. "In June this year, Bruce Mehlman, the assistant secretary for technical policy at the Department of Commerce, said that the 'Penguin has landed', which is quite a shift in just four years," she said.

A 2002 report from the MITRE Corp. also identified 110 open-source software tools in use at the Department of Defense. And this year, the office of the CIO at the Department came out with an official open-source software policy, which placed open-source software under the same requirements of Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) products and the same security certification, she said.

One of the real open source success stories at the Census is State and County QuickFacts, "the cheapest and most bang for the buck application on our Web site. This involved bringing data together in small profiles for novice users looking for quick facts. It serves some 200,000 pages a day," she said.

This was developed as an unfunded project, took six months from planning to release, and used existing hardware and open-source software, including Perl, Apache, MySQL and Linux.

The Census Bureau chose open source for many projects because there are no procurement delays, it is portable within a heterogeneous environment and has interchangeable components.

The Bureau has also started an open source research group to find out what is out there, to come up with ways to use it, and then work with other government agencies on this, she said.

Pat Moran from NASA Ames Research Center, speaking not as an official NASA spokesman, said in his address titled "Developing Open Source" that bringing in Linux machines is not a controversial thing to do at NASA as they already have Unix machines.

But collaboration across divisions is difficult and releasing things through open source is frustrating. But Moran said a plan started a year ago to get a more official policy on open source established within NASA.

NASA's legal division has said they see no problem in having an open source policy, he said, adding that "some of the software we develop I do not expect will become open source," garnering a laugh from the audience.

He is still working with the legal and the Software Release Authority on developing an open source process and, within a year, expects to try the process with some test projects.

Regarding the licensing options for NASA software, this is still under discussion but will probably be similar to the current Mozilla license, at least at first, he said.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1189729,00.asp

Parashuram
September 22nd, 2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by echarcha
and I think I had posted here too that MS had offered 90% of source code to governments to review. The remaining 10% of the code would be shown to the interested parties within MS premises. This would assure the govts. that no 'backdoors' were being left open.

Linux invades government servers

http://mobileviews.freezope.org/govtos/1042245880/index_html

ZDNet/Meta Group Linux invades government servers

[Excerpt...]

Several national governments (e.g., Singapore, Taiwan, and Germany) have stated their intent to move their server architectures to Linux from Windows.

Taking this a step farther, China and India are developing economic policies to foster Linux expertise within their countries to create competitive advantage and anticipate growing demand for Linux software skills. Meanwhile, the UK government used the threat of moving to Linux when negotiating a three-year contract renewal with Microsoft, gaining a projected $150 million in savings over the life of the contract.

Even in the U.S., the Department of Defense (DoD), National Security Agency (NSA), National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), and National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) are investigating the use of Linux and open-source software on servers.

echarcha
September 22nd, 2003, 10:52 AM
because without free software like Linux, Apache, MySQL it would have been impossible to have eCharcha.Com hosted for the rates that are prevalent today.

I like Windows on my desktop though.

Parashuram
September 22nd, 2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by echarcha
because without free software like Linux, Apache, MySQL it would have been impossible to have eCharcha.Com hosted for the rates that are prevalent today.

I like Windows on my desktop though.

I tried redhat on the second drive bay on my laptop. All the powerpoint presentations were screwed up in openoffice .......and my plans of getting rid of windows went out the window ........Why cant MS compete openly and share info on formats ???

Diplomat
September 22nd, 2003, 11:00 AM
how hard is it to get hold of a few "Microsoft chief cooks", and get them to develop a OS that is compatible with all the products that are compatible with MS???? should not be that hard.
after all Microsoft was able to do that with DB design...came up with MSSQLServer, which in my opinion rocks.

Ravi
September 22nd, 2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Parashuram
Why cant MS compete openly and share info on formats ??? Microsoft formats are proprietory, and there is no point in
pursuing those. Instead, what is needed is the development of
open formats (well underway). However, those formats will not
be popular until Open source & Free software becomes prevalent.