PDA

View Full Version : Have you been to your local ER? How long did it take to see a doctor?

echarcha
July 31st, 2003, 11:56 AM
Have you been to your local ER for your own health reasons or for your spouse or your room-mate?

How long did it take to see a doctor?

If you dont mind, please share your location (City/State).

YedaAnna
July 31st, 2003, 12:07 PM
yeah I had been to an ER some time back with a friend of mine who developed rashes bcoz of a soap (dollar tree se laayatha;))...

they took atleast 30-40 mins to get that guy into the OPD:rolleyes: leave alone their enquiries abt insurance, card this n that...

aur ER charges alag se aaye (not covered):smash:

this is in Columbus, MS

IA
July 31st, 2003, 02:05 PM
Yes I have been to ER (1:00 AM) with my wife for some problem during her pergnancy and it took us 30-35 min get in to the Room and once we reached their we have to spend 4-5 hrs. cause those chewtiyas are not sure what the problem was and idiots did all kind of blood testing with the final result nothing is wrong, although i was very happy after hearing that but my whole night was screwed up in the hospital and i have to drop my daughter at friends place.

GpeL
July 31st, 2003, 02:10 PM
First time.. Jersey City. I had an infected cyst on my ear lobe. Doctor saw me about after 2 hours (well won't blame him.. there were more serious cases ariving and they take priority). He saw my ears and said come 2 days later we have to do surgery. I said wont last 2 days.. he refused to listen.

I came home, the cyst started to oozze.. I had to do the surgery myself with a shaving blade and applied tinchure.

3 Days get a invoice for 180$. I asked them to shove it up their ass giving proper reason for the same. Never got another request to pay.

2nd time for my cousin at 3 am.. he had high fever. 45 Minutes and we were home. 3rd time for my wife.. same fever.. 1 hour we were home. Then for my Son.. high fever. Docs gave immediate attension but he was hospitalized for 2 days.

All cases except me and my cousin were at Edison hospital. Both me and my cousin had gone to Jersey City hospital.

Zorro
July 31st, 2003, 02:36 PM
4 weeks ago, I cut my hand while washing some glasses. Wrapped my hand in a towel and drove to the ER. Usually it takes about an hour before somebody attends to your problem, but since I was dripping blood all over the place, somebody was with me immediately. I was back home in 3 hours with 4 stitches. This happened in Detroit metro area. The bills were for almost $1000, but I have insurance.

dirty
July 31st, 2003, 03:39 PM
Ya once when I was getting some chest pain. On saying that i had chest pain was immidiately taken in all kind o f tests were done , But everything was fine . Got a bill but had insurance so paid nothing.

JaiSpeaks
July 31st, 2003, 06:06 PM
I had a Eye infection ... went to the ER ... ******** 5 ghante ho gaye attend hi nahi kara . I was like pissed . I just wanted a prescription for an ointment . saala mein ruk nahi saka yaar . Detroit is very dangerous after 9 pm .. aur mein saala chalke gaya tha . i had a friend who was a Pharma guy . He gave me something . But later when I went in for a knee strain I was out in 3 hrs. So i guess it depends on the prob . lekin yaar 5 ghante to height hai

Detroit Metro

Xandu
July 31st, 2003, 09:45 PM
I never had to go to ER thankfully... I'm afraid of needles.

X

echarcha
August 1st, 2003, 12:02 PM
Once Shama was not very well. After trying antacids and other remedies the problem still did not go away. It was 12 in the night. So we went to the ER. Upon reaching there, they made us fill a form. After 30 minutes a nurse came by and asked her more questions.

Then we were asked to wait. We were taken into a doctor's room at 2:45 AM a full 2 hours and 45 minutes since we reached ER. Shama was in pain. I was in tears and helpless. I went and asked for the doctor a couple of times. I asked that atleast she be given some pain killer injection or whatever to alleviate the pain. They said that there were not enough doctors and nurses. And the crowd in ER was terrible.

Then at 3:15 a doctor came by. Examined Shama and gave her some medications. She felt better within 15 minutes. Then they conducted some blood tests, etc. Then wrote a big prescription and we were off at around 4:15 AM. That was very terrrible.

The next day I made some inquiries as to why there were so less doctors. Well, the answer was - there are not enough funds to have more doctors to keep pace with growing number of patients. The insurance premiums which doctors have to pay against malpractise suits is also quite high. Also the ER's get clogged because many illegal immigrants throng to the ER where they are assured of medical attention no matter what! And most of them know how to milk the system.

Shooot.. That one moment I felt like flying back to India when I saw Shama in terrible pain. Atleast in India we can wake up our family doctor in the middle of the night. That one moment I felt very selfish that it was good in India that they turn you away if you dont have money to pay the doctor. Atleast you get to see the doctor right away!! YEs these were very selfish thoughts, but God forbid, if you have to see your loved ones in pain. All the nobility, selflessness and all that idealism goes out the window.

smellyfinger
August 1st, 2003, 12:07 PM
Cha pai ....

Move to a less populated place :D

Apun ko 30 seconds bhi nahin lagte ER service ke liye

You show up and a doctor is waiting for you if you call ahead.

Saali .. populesun problem ho gayee hai California mein .. :D :D

GpeL
August 1st, 2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by echarcha

Atleast in India we can wake up our family doctor in the middle of the night.

Ye poblem nahi hai apun ko..

Ek doctor hai.. pukka dost.. canada me.. saale ko aadhi raat bhi utao.. phone par symptoms batao.. vo fax kar deta hai immediate relief ke vaste kuch na kuch prescription and that too free.. subere jaao apne regular doctor ke paas.. jyaada emergency hue to ER me bhi attension miltaa hai pronto.. but I go to ER only if he (my canadian fella) insists I go there immediatly.

echarcha
August 1st, 2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by GpeL
Ye poblem nahi hai apun ko..

Ek doctor hai.. pukka dost.. canada me.. saale ko aadhi raat bhi utao.. phone par symptoms batao.. vo fax kar deta hai immediate relief ke vaste kuch na kuch prescription and that too free.. subere jaao apne regular doctor ke paas.. jyaada emergency hue to ER me bhi attension miltaa hai pronto.. but I go to ER only if he (my canadian fella) insists I go there immediatly.

Pelu you are lukcy to have such a friend to help you. What about others who dont have such a friend?

Yaar its like a golden cage. The jobs are in the valley and the valley is crowded. What to do??

Diplomat
August 1st, 2003, 01:30 PM
ER resposnse depends upon:

1. Locality
2. Severity of pain

3. last but no the least, availability of doctors.

2 times went to ER with Kidney stone pains. was inside within 5 minutes and under treatment.

1 time went with pregnant wife. was attented within 5 minutes.
But we were "intelligent" enough to go to the hospital where she was going to deliver. This way, all here case papers were there for review ASAP.

Friend went to a"cheap" locality hospital with his son's dislocated arm. Took them 2 hours to get to a doctor.